Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Hitch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone- Well order my Y 3 weeks ago and I have ordered the hitch. I enjoyed reading all the threads. One question I have is my trailer has 3 pin plug on it, and when I had a hitch put on at U Haul for my last car it also had a 3 pin plug. So, looking through the manual I see this comes fitted with a 7 pin round plug, with that said, is there a conversion plug I can buy, do I have to get the plug totally rewired?
Looking forward to getting the car and enjoying all the great advice on this forum.Thanks All! :)

Hello everyone- Well order my Y 3 weeks ago and I have ordered the hitch. I enjoyed reading all the threads.
One question I have is my trailer has 3 pin plug on it, and when I had a hitch put on at U Haul for my last car it also had a 3 pin plug.
So, looking through the manual I see this comes fitted with a 7 pin round plug, with that said,
is there a conversion plug I can buy, do I have to get the plug totally rewired?
Looking forward to getting the car and enjoying all the great advice on this forum.Thanks All! :)
There are special adapters to do this, look for example at etrailer.com:

7-Way RV to 4-Way Flat Trailer Connector Adapter

Note: I'm not sure if this is exactly the one you need,
watch the included video for additional information.

Last edited:
Ordered the add on hitch from Tesla almost two weeks ago (June 26)order was confirmed and said I’d be notified when it ships. I still haven’t heard anything.
It should be shipping to the service center and the order status says “en route to service center”.

Has anyone else ordered and received it yet?

You can pick up a round to 3pin /Ground flat connector at any Home Depot, Lowes or auto parts store. They are very common to most hitch wiring packages. Nothing unique to Tesla.
Thanks Paul!! Ill take a look.
I ordered my Y on 6/24 with the hitch. I am assuming I won't see the car much before the end of August, then I am not holding my breath on what's been posted onTesla delivery times

When a bicycle carrier is placed in the tow hitch, do the sensors stay on in the rear or does tow mode disable that?

If a bike rack is attached and you do not change into towing mode, you will get a graphic that indicates something is near your rear bumper and you will get a beeping sound when backing up. If you put the car in Tow mode, the graphic clears but you lose some autonomous driving features such as navigate on autopilot, etc. I just leave it in standard mode, ignore the graphic, and find the beep on backup to be minimally annoying and sometimes helpful when backing out of a parking spot in a busy parking lot.

Reactions: ACAG
My Tesla accessory hitch finally arrived at service center yesterday.

I never received an email that it shipped but did get a prompt reply from Tesla when I inquired of the status and was given the tracking number.

Based on the confirmation of shipping I went ahead and scheduled mobile service installation, first available was 15 days out (service center first available was 3 weeks!) Tesla really needs to build more service capacity in Northern Virginia.

Ordered hitch Friday 6/26, shipped Tuesday 7/7, Arrived Service Center Tuesday 14th.

I ordered my hitch 6/30. Didn't hear anything up until yesterday when I emailed Tesla and they told me it had already arrived at my service center. I called my service center and they didn't know anything about it. We scheduled an appointment to get it installed, and they told me I would have to leave my car there overnight for the service... why?

I later got a text "Did you already purchase this online to have it shipped to the service center to complete install?" That's it, no reference to what they were talking about. So I assumed they meant the hitch, and I told them my story and asked about mobile service/why I would need to leave the car at Tesla.

I got a response this morning saying mobile service can't do the job, and I could wait for the car but it is their first install so they are quoting 3 hours. Then they followed that up saying they just realized they don't have all the parts they need and will be ordering those as well.

I ordered my hitch 6/30. Didn't hear anything up until yesterday when I emailed Tesla and they told me it had already arrived at my service center. I called my service center and they didn't know anything about it. We scheduled an appointment to get it installed, and they told me I would have to leave my car there overnight for the service... why?

I later got a text "Did you already purchase this online to have it shipped to the service center to complete install?" That's it, no reference to what they were talking about. So I assumed they meant the hitch, and I told them my story and asked about mobile service/why I would need to leave the car at Tesla.

I got a response this morning saying mobile service can't do the job, and I could wait for the car but it is their first install so they are quoting 3 hours. Then they followed that up saying they just realized they don't have all the parts they need and will be ordering those as well.

yeah, I was surprised when I was able to set up a mobile service for this knowing it requires removal of the bumper cover etc, hopefully won’t have to wait another 3 weeks when they figure out the mobile tech can’t do this the day before my appointment.

my MY goes in next week to get the hitch installed, and a small rattle to get figured out, and the heat pump acoustic cover installed. They ordered a few things, including LOWER TRUNK ASSEMBLY Part #: 1508656-00-D for the hitch install. We'll see how it goes next week!

I was notified of these parts being ordered today in case anyone is curious:
  1. M3 BODYSIDE LAMP CONNECTOR GASKET
    Part #: 1453382-00-A
    Order Date: July 16, 2020
  2. M3 BODYSIDE LAMP T-STUD GASKET
    Part #: 1453381-00-A
  3. FOAM SEAL, MY REAR PANEL
    Part #: 1554099-00-A
  4. LOWER TRUNK ASSEMBLY
    Part #: 1508656-00-D

yeah, I was surprised when I was able to set up a mobile service for this knowing it requires removal of the bumper cover etc, hopefully won’t have to wait another 3 weeks when they figure out the mobile tech can’t do this the day before my appointment.
As predicted, email today, the day before mobile appointment to install the hitch (which was scheduled and confirmed by Tesla 2 weeks ago) that the install would now be at the service center. At least they will get it in this Friday.

How long did it take for the hitch to arrive at the service center after you ordered? I ordered on 7/17 and have an appt on 7/30 but there's no shipping info.

I ordered hitch late Friday 6/26, it shipped Tuesday 7/7, Arrived Service Center Tuesday 7/14.

Try sending an email to [email protected]

I did and they answered very fast (few hours) and gave me a tracking number.