Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Hitch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have this one and it works great! I have the Stainless Steel 2.75" version and the Tesla factory hitch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AXY62/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for this link, although I’m concerned that many of the reviews complain about it being easy to break/steal, corroding quickly, and the key breaking off.

Has anyone tried the APMLock hitch bar lock to see if it fits the Tesla factory hitch? It’s way more expensive than most other hitch locks ($99), but might be worth it if it’s more durable and better at preventing theft.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NUNFS6A/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_3?smid=A1GP692PVQ4PWB&psc=1

Thanks for this link, although I’m concerned that many of the reviews complain about it being easy to break/steal, corroding quickly, and the key breaking off.

Has anyone tried the APMLock hitch bar lock to see if it fits the Tesla factory hitch? It’s way more expensive than most other hitch locks ($99), but might be worth it if it’s more durable and better at preventing theft.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NUNFS6A/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_3?smid=A1GP692PVQ4PWB&psc=1
After spending some time dealing with the hitch, I do not think you could get this AMPLock in there.

Hmmm. 84% of the reviews are positive, but there are more reports of corrosion than I'd like to see. The problem with the one you link to is that it might be hard to use with the Y. The key goes in "end on" which might be difficult. I think you want one the same style as the one I linked where the key comes in perpendicular to the pin. I haven't tried the other, but I'm not sure I could get my hands in position. Maybe this one would be better?

https://www.amazon.com/CZC-AUTO-Rec...4R21/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1

I had a Tesla Hitch installed. Tesla Tech, when he showed me how to remove cover, left significant divits in facia and broke one tab on cover. Not impressed with the cover. Have similar cover system on Loncoln, no problems putting pn and off. Tesla has a bad system. Needs to improve it. PS: Love my MY Dual LR.
We've been running with all but 4 tabs removed from our hitch cover for a few months now with no issues. Makes it much easier to remove, especially with the hitch cover removal tools.

Last edited:
Finally got my appointment for install at the service center after they cancelled the mobile appointment. Unfortunately, they discovered they couldn't install without ordering additional parts (likely the ones referenced unthread). They claim it's because my Y is an earlier build and that more recent builds are configured to be able to install the hitch as shipped. In any case, this has been a frustratingly long process for what should be a simple accessory install.

Advice to those planning to have the hitch installed: contact the service center to be sure they will have all needed parts on hand before you bring your car in for the install.
Unfortunately I just had the same experience at the Charlotte SC. After making at appointment a month in advance to get my hitch installed, I was told 4 days after dropping off my car that they did not order all the necessary parts (e.g., lower trunk assembly), even though I sent them the list of parts to order from this thread. Fortunately the additional parts will arrive in a few days, so hopefully the hitch will be installed by the end of the week.

I’ll reconfirm the previously posted list of parts in a few days, so others can ensure all have been received before bringing their MY to the SC.

I got my MY last week. I thought the hitch hadn't been installed but no, the delivery support person said it was there and to use a butter knife or flat screwdriver to get it off. Trying to take it off today, I saw I was slightly marking/damaging the plastic on the edge, so stopped. Tried to find a video about how to take it off but came up with nothing. Most noticeably, the MY manual PDF says nothing about the cover at all, let alone how to remove it.
The only reason I got the hitch installed by Tesla rather than having it installed here aftermarket (the Rack n Road near me which installed on my last car and has great service overall) said it would take all day for $800, vs. having it come installed by Tesla for $1k and saving me the hassle. Now I regret that decision.
Anyhow, based on the info I've read here, I'll try again with the butter knife and/or screwdriver. The main point of my post is to say:
1 Year Later, Tesla has not fixed the problem. Or even acknowledged in their manual that there's a cover you need to remove!!
Definitely not a good impression for me of Tesla. Glad for this forum.

1 Year Later, Tesla has not fixed the problem. Or even acknowledged in their manual that there's a cover you need to remove!!
Definitely not a good impression for me of Tesla. Glad for this forum.
I am baffled when reading how Tesla was to be able to overcome the chip shortage crisis
by redesigning on the fly some printed cicuit boards to accomodate different type of chips.

However, the tow hitch cover design looks like a high school project which get broken after its first use.
All the German and Swedish cars have automatic tow hitches who gets in place or disappears by the touch of a button.

I wonder if Tesla has any project of providing such nicer tow hich mechanism?

Using flat screwdriver and a silver butter knife, both of which I now keep in my MY, am able to get cover off fine and put it back on with no tools. So even though it's amazing to me still that Tesla doesn't even mention the cover's existence in its manual, I'm OK with it as is. Not the most elegant thing in the world, but I see no reason to take off some of the tabs or buy something different. Sure appreciate all the comments and help on this forum.