Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Hitch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my MY this week with the hitch option. Was told by my delivery person the hitch didn’t come with the car and I had to schedule a service to install it. When I did, service said, remove the dust cover and your hitch is there and Eureka it was!! It is a very solid 2” receiver.

My only issue is this; the dust cover is really difficult to remove but when it is, the bumper cover looks like something is missing. On most of my cars with hitches, the trim area around the hitch is finished and the receiver is exposed all of the time. It is an SUV I don’t mind having the hitch showing. I think that Tesla should either make the dust cover easier to remove and reinstall or provide a trim piece to “dress” the opening so you can take the cover off and have the hitch exposed. It does seem if I leave the cover off street crud will collect in the area below the hitch as it doesn’t seem to have anywhere to go.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 4,545
I have similar concerns as the OP. And, since I won’t use mine a lot, I am not looking forward to when I do remove it. I did yesterday, being very careful with a small flathead screwdriver, and still managed to slightly mess up the material on the edge by the cover. Hopefully someone makes a cover which is releasable by hand (and maybe overlaps the actual hitch area).

- What the use of the square cover on the right of the Tow Hitch? Can you open it or remove it?

- Can you make a picture of the electrical plug? Is it a 7 pins or 4 pins plug?

- Is there any hooks to attach the security chains? Are they easily accessible?

It looks like the images uploaded upside down but there are two chain holes in the plate at the top of the opening and it uses a standard 7 pin plug that I have used on numerous cars before. BTW every time I take the cover off it is getting easier as the locking “teeth” keep breaking off. Soon it will be too easy.

Attachments

• 7D6DD115-E8C9-435D-A6A8-CE91DDC3CC06.jpeg
    7D6DD115-E8C9-435D-A6A8-CE91DDC3CC06.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 638
  • 3552C7C1-8DEF-4415-99DD-B3D21977E00B.jpeg
    3552C7C1-8DEF-4415-99DD-B3D21977E00B.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 654
It looks like the images uploaded upside down but there are two chain holes in the plate at the top of the opening and it uses a standard 7 pin plug that I have used on numerous cars before. BTW every time I take the cover off it is getting easier as the locking “teeth” keep breaking off. Soon it will be too easy.

Same experience, we picked up our MY This past Saturday, tow hitch cover is already useless after two attempts to remove the cover. Broke multiple snaps on it even while being extremely careful. Worst design ever. I’m going to end up building/ welding up a custom cover that inserts in the receiver at some point, but for now we’ll just be exposing our receiver tube for all to see.

I would also be interested in a replacement cover that is better designed to come on and off semi-regularly. I'm curious whether any one has tried mounting a bike rack. Am wondering whether I need to be aware of any geometric constraints before I go and buy a bike rack. Thanks!

It looks like the images uploaded upside down but there are two chain holes in the plate at the top of the opening
and it uses a standard 7 pin plug that I have used on numerous cars before.
BTW every time I take the cover off it is getting easier as the locking “teeth” keep breaking off. Soon it will be too easy.
Thank you so much. I will certainly build a plastic cover with a magnet to keep it in place to avoid having dirt in this area.

- What the use of the square cover on the right of the Tow Hitch? Can you open it or remove it?

Thank you so much. I will certainly build a plastic cover with a magnet to keep it in place to avoid having dirt in this area.

It appears to be the back of the hitch compartment. It feels solid behind it perhaps the bumper. While it looks like a door, I do not think it has access to anything. It appears the the plastic underbody cowling attaches to it.

Attachments

• 11A9E9DF-C061-49C1-B147-994DD9A1A36F.jpeg
    11A9E9DF-C061-49C1-B147-994DD9A1A36F.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,552
Reactions: Watts_Up
I tool delivery Sunday and was told that, although I ordered the hitch, I would have to get it installed later. But now I'm thinking maybe I actually have it installed.

Thing is, I don't want to damage the cover, especially just to find out that it's not. There's also the fact that I don't intend to use it often, and it looks pretty ugly with the cover off.

One thought is to lampshade it with something like this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B074M5DXFM/

Any ideas?

11a9e9df-c061-49c1-b147-994dd9a1a36f-jpeg.558744

It appears to be the back of the hitch compartment. It feels solid behind it perhaps the bumper.
While it looks like a door, I do not think it has access to anything.
It appears the the plastic underbody cowling attaches to it.
What bug me is why there is a special cut on the right hedges of the trap door?

May be this could be the location of a plug for an auxiliary braking mechanism?

1609595-00-A_0.jpg