Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y horrible paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery of a MYP white color today.

after I got home I parked it outside and noticed uneven paint on both driver side and passenger side doors. Looks like vertical stripes.

what are your opinions? Have you seen this before? What kind of remedies are available? I've reported the problem in Tesla app.

Thanks.

9314D9A5-8CFF-4D7D-8655-578B1288E834.jpeg
06A8A4C6-EE9C-4722-B81B-18FA50CD469B.jpeg

Ugh. Difficult to photograph this kind of issue, I'm sure it's worse in person.

I'd think Tesla will fix this for you. Be firm but gentle with your SC personnel. They are always walking a fine line between reality and corporate pressure!

Wow, pretty bad striping. Has to do with application error and/or nozzle setup. My red Model Y came with doors that didn't match on one side only. SC took it to the local body shop they work with and fixed it, but I had to escalate to a manager at the SC because at first they said.... "within spec." Just so you know what MY experience was with getting paint issues corrected:

I had them fix 2 dings I noticed also... Asked for paintless dent repair but unfortunately they took the easy route and threw some bondo on the driver door ding, followed by amateur bodywork (you can now see the primer ring around where the ding was, looks much worse than the ding that could hardly be seen before). Also came back with wetsanding marks that were not even close to being polished out, overspray on the fender, and a nice 8-inch scratch on the center of my hood. I was able to finish the polishing, remove overspray, and wetsand&polish out the hood scratch myself in my garage, but not everyone has the shop background I have- Really unacceptable quality. The shop is known for premium work and premium prices, which makes me think they have a "B" team there to handle the high volume of Tesla warranty jobs that are coming through. Still, I left them an accurate yelp review with photos to keep 'em honest.

So, my advice would be to try and get into a different car. SC will probably take care of it, but it's very likely that your entire vehicle will need to be stripped, repainted, and put back together. No matter how good the shop is, you can expect to find spots of overspray and the occasional dirt spot or fisheye. It also will smell like paint for a while instead of a new car, and things tend to break in the shop environment. So you might get your car back with some new rattles and scrapes/gouges/stains that weren't there beforehand.

If an insurance company were evaluating your car for a settlement, they would take a deduction for that paintwork. You paid for a new car, you should get a car in new condition IMO.

Best of Luck and looking forward to hearing how it plays out!

Here is the color mismatch I had: rear door darker than the front one...
IMG_20210218_185810.jpg

Wow, pretty bad striping. Has to do with application error and/or nozzle setup. My red Model Y came with doors that didn't match on one side only. SC took it to the local body shop they work with and fixed it, but I had to escalate to a manager at the SC because at first they said.... "within spec." Just so you know what MY experience was with getting paint issues corrected:

I had them fix 2 dings I noticed also... Asked for paintless dent repair but unfortunately they took the easy route and threw some bondo on the driver door ding, followed by amateur bodywork (you can now see the primer ring around where the ding was, looks much worse than the ding that could hardly be seen before). Also came back with wetsanding marks that were not even close to being polished out, overspray on the fender, and a nice 8-inch scratch on the center of my hood. I was able to finish the polishing, remove overspray, and wetsand&polish out the hood scratch myself in my garage, but not everyone has the shop background I have- Really unacceptable quality. The shop is known for premium work and premium prices, which makes me think they have a "B" team there to handle the high volume of Tesla warranty jobs that are coming through. Still, I left them an accurate yelp review with photos to keep 'em honest.

So, my advice would be to try and get into a different car. SC will probably take care of it, but it's very likely that your entire vehicle will need to be stripped, repainted, and put back together. No matter how good the shop is, you can expect to find spots of overspray and the occasional dirt spot or fisheye. It also will smell like paint for a while instead of a new car, and things tend to break in the shop environment. So you might get your car back with some new rattles and scrapes/gouges/stains that weren't there beforehand.

If an insurance company were evaluating your car for a settlement, they would take a deduction for that paintwork. You paid for a new car, you should get a car in new condition IMO.

Best of Luck and looking forward to hearing how it plays out!

Here is the color mismatch I had: rear door darker than the front one...
View attachment 647243

mine is a used one from Tesla with only 200 miles though. Definitely don't want to go through repainting the entire car.

I'm Not sure how to return it or get a replacement since it's used.

Beside the paint, it has some other smaller issues.
For example, missing the carbon fiber spoiler (MVPA shows CF spoiler),
A mysterious bulge on the front bumper,
And panel gaps which I'm not too OCD about.

Attachments

• B1DA5A5A-9431-4D3B-92CD-C3052AE6819A.jpeg
    B1DA5A5A-9431-4D3B-92CD-C3052AE6819A.jpeg
    405 KB · Views: 376
  • 903CD2C5-BA36-4A1A-820D-FDFF082A1A16.jpeg
    903CD2C5-BA36-4A1A-820D-FDFF082A1A16.jpeg
    347 KB · Views: 389
I had a couple spots needing touch up after home delivery, ding on my rear hatch and a scratches on the door jam. Car went had to go to the Fremont delivery center, they said they take care of all paint related issues in the area. They kept it for 11 days for this paint and a few panel gap issues. Anyway car came back with overspray on both areas, on the wheel and inside trunk mat. Seems they mask off maybe one foot and just let the paint fly. Also found dried clear coat drip on the edge of the hatch.

Contactless pickup and was raining when I picked up the car so didn't really see any of this till the day after. Contacted the SA, said to bring it back. But I passed, didn't want other issues so cleaned everything myself.
IMG_20210212_200916.jpg
IMG_20210218_153120.jpg

Beside the paint, it has some other smaller issues.
For example, missing the carbon fiber spoiler (MVPA shows CF spoiler),
A mysterious bulge on the front bumper,
And panel gaps which I'm not too OCD about.
I see you mention MYP in your original post, and you said you're missing the CF spoiler.

However looking at your pictures, it looks like your vehicle is just the LR version with 19" Geminis. Did you order an LR or P?

Reactions: firerock
mine is a used one from Tesla with only 200 miles though. Definitely don't want to go through repainting the entire car.

I'm Not sure how to return it or get a replacement since it's used.
So I wonder why it was used? Looks like a rejected car someone bought and returned, so couldn't be sold as new. You may have problems getting this fixed because cosmetic issues on I sed cars are generally not covered. Ouch!

I see you mention MYP in your original post, and you said you're missing the CF spoiler.

However looking at your pictures, it looks like your vehicle is just the LR version with 19" Geminis. Did you order an LR or P?
Yes it's a MYP without PUP. hence the 19" Geminis. But It should com with CF spoiler, as stated in MVPA and window sticker.

So I wonder why it was used? Looks like a rejected car someone bought and returned, so couldn't be sold as new. You may have problems getting this fixed because cosmetic issues on I sed cars are generally not covered. Ouch!
Ya they generally won't cover any scrapes or scratches within a certain size. But this is not scrape/scratch, the paint is intact and it's clearly a manufacture defect. Let see what the SC say.

@mnca what VIN range is your car? Also date of manufacture (on your driver’s door jamb sticker)? If March-April 2020, there were plenty of white and blue MYs that came out with serious paint issues- I got this info from service advisor who worked on mine. I think you can call this batch of cars after factory restarted as “COVID build”

My blue one needed most of car repainted and the experience was draining and unacceptable.

@mnca what VIN range is your car? Also date of manufacture (on your driver’s door jamb sticker)? If March-April 2020, there were plenty of white and blue MYs that came out with serious paint issues- I got this info from service advisor who worked on mine. I think you can call this batch of cars after factory restarted as “COVID build”

My blue one needed most of car repainted and the experience was draining and unacceptable.
Just looked and it is a COVID build. March 2020.
VIN range 3LF002xxx

Yes it's a MYP without PUP. hence the 19" Geminis. But It should com with CF spoiler, as stated in MVPA and window sticker.

I didn't think the non-PUP cars came with the spoiler... But even if the window sticker says it has the spoiler, that no longer applies to a used vehicle. (For example the prior owner could have removed it, just like they can change tires/wheels.)

I didn't think the non-PUP cars came with the spoiler... But even if the window sticker says it has the spoiler, that no longer applies to a used vehicle. (For example the prior owner could have removed it, just like they can change tires/wheels.)
Hmm but if it's on MVPA then they must honor it right? It's part of signed contract.

Just looked and it is a COVID build. March 2020.
VIN range 3LF002xxx

That makes me feel better that it's not a newer build.. at the same time I'm disappointed that Tesla had kept this car for a year surely knowing of the defect and why the car was rejected/returned and never bothered to fix it. Tesla recently started selling used Model Y and I always wondered what happened to the many returns while the 7-day return period was still around. Good luck on fixing the issue but you might want to press on them to comp you on getting a full car wrap or do that at your expense if cost is not a problem. Trust me, a repaint is not a good solution.