Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Import from Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ignoring the now Fremont / China factory build split, when Model 3's first came to Europe and UK (everything at that time made in Fremont), UK Model 3's were not too far behind the mainland Europe ones - iirc our configurator opened in early stages of mainland Europe cars starting to be delivered. Roll forward, mainland Europe has just started taking deliveries of their first Model Y. Whether history will repeat is anyone's guess.

My finger has been itching to press the buy button on a M3SR+ for weeks now but ideally I want to order a Model Y.

The complete lack of information anywhere is frustrating. I might just delay my purchase because with my luck the moment I do purchase the M3 the “stay updated” option on the web page will most likely change to “order now”.

I might just delay my purchase because with my luck the moment I do purchase the M3 the “stay updated” option on the web page will most likely change to “order now”.

You would be unlucky to get a (non inventory) Model 3 now until November, quite possibly December and simply risk losing the £100 deposit if you cancel. Also, once in the queue, can can delay taking delivery if one gets assigned too soon - it may push you into another quarter though.

Only you know how long you are prepared to wait for a Model Y, but if you hit buy now on a Model 3 and a Model Y configurator looks like its going to open before taking delivery of the Model 3, you only risk the deposit and even that may be transferable. There will likely be some longer delays between configuring a Model Y and delivery than going through the same process with a Model 3. So even if orders opened this year on Model Y, you could be well into next year before deliveries start.

Last edited:
Reactions: ringi