Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y initial thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Couple of weeks into my Q3 model Y, which has replaced a 2019 M3LR.

Initial thoughts are the car is very similar in lots of aspects, feels much larger though despite relatively modest difference in dimensions and ride not as smooth either. However, several additions to M3 also welcomed such as powered boot, better headlights.

However, there are two major issues which are ruining the overall experience for me.

One is the wipers and the fact they insist on coming on in autopilot irrespective of weather conditions. Unless there is rain this is rendering cruise control etc completely unusable. Never had this issue on the M3 and the only fix I have discovered is to clean the sensor manually and even this only fixes the issue for a few mins. In rain it is almost as bad as the wipers go crazily fast at the sight of just a few drops of moisture. I’m on the latest version of software and know how these cars work so am completely flummoxed and very frustrated with it. Any ideas beyond a long stick and a sponge welcomed.

Lack of parking sensors- wow who thought that was a good idea without a clear date for the new option. As mine was a lease special offer I never got the option to decline and took the chance as opposed to switching to the Merc or BMW, which were the alternatives at the time. Before anyone tells me that Tesla vision will be along in no time and it will be great, I waited almost 3 years and many software versions to get the previous cars auto beam and wipers working somewhere near properly. Guess I should have known better really.

So overall, many features that are good (as they were in the M3) and a couple better but some pretty key things that my wife’s 2017 Renault Captur does miles better. General mood summary - optimistic (blindly maybe??) but disappointed, feels like a step back. 😕

Reactions: H43lio
Wait - what? It doesn't have the ultrasonic sensors when you reverse like the Model 3 does???

However, there are two major issues which are ruining the overall experience for me.

One is the wipers and the fact they insist on coming on in autopilot irrespective of weather conditions.
What software are you on? I got a Y at the same time which was on 2022.40 and it was activating the wipers every time I went under a streetlight.

I upgraded to 2022.44 and that problem went away. I can't say if they're perfect as I've not driven in that much rain since, but they are substantially better.

It sounds like you need that camera recalibrating, or at least inspecting to see if there is a blemish on the lens

Yes it's a PitA that Wipers go to Auto when Cruise Control is on, but Auto should really mean "I'll work if I detect rain" and not "Here we go then!"

Couple of weeks into my Q3 model Y, which has replaced a 2019 M3LR.

Initial thoughts are the car is very similar in lots of aspects, feels much larger though despite relatively modest difference in dimensions and ride not as smooth either. However, several additions to M3 also welcomed such as powered boot, better headlights.
The MY is actually over 7cm wider than the M3. That is actually quite a lot, and it feels it

One is the wipers and the fact they insist on coming on in autopilot irrespective of weather conditions. Unless there is rain this is rendering cruise control etc completely unusable. Never had this issue on the M3 and the only fix I have discovered is to clean the sensor manually and even this only fixes the issue for a few mins. In rain it is almost as bad as the wipers go crazily fast at the sight of just a few drops of moisture. I’m on the latest version of software and know how these cars work so am completely flummoxed and very frustrated with it. Any ideas beyond a long stick and a sponge welcomed.
You can't turn them off in autopilot I believe but you can turn them on so if its actually raining then you can set them to a speed manually. I have found this useful in drizzle when the auto wipers were not reacting fast enough for my liking

Lack of parking sensors- wow who thought that was a good idea without a clear date for the new option.
The fish rots from the head down

Reactions: Harrim2
What software are you on? I got a Y at the same time which was on 2022.40 and it was activating the wipers every time I went under a streetlight.

I upgraded to 2022.44 and that problem went away. I can't say if they're perfect as I've not driven in that much rain since, but they are substantially better.
I’m on 44.2? No change since upgrade

Last edited:
Lack of parking sensors...

On your new Model Y with no ultrasonic parking sensors - when you are parking, do you get a distance measure on the screen that is computed by the cameras alone? Or did that disappear completely with the "vision only" model?

If still gives an estimate of parking distance:
- how accurate is it at front / back corners and front / back end-on compared with USS?
- does it still give a red "STOP" warning when you get really close?

That has saved me from bumping / scraping several times when parking, especially when backing into a parallel space with barriers right at the edge of the curb.

The on-screen camera display alone is very difficult to judge distance at the rear, and impossible / no view at the front where the bumper is. My parking skills are insufficient even in a car with better visibility to park in tight urban spots without parking sensors. Very sad if Tesla permanently drops these or if the cameras are unable to be as accurate as it would really force me to pick another company next time (do not want nor can afford a Model S or Model X) and I find FSD beta amazing and far ahead of any competitor.

On your new Model Y with no ultrasonic parking sensors - when you are parking, do you get a distance measure on the screen that is computed by the cameras alone? Or did that disappear completely with the "vision only" model?
The Tesla Vision replacement hasn’t been released yet, so there is nothing.
Honestly I had an M3LR with the sensors and now have a MYP without and not once have I missed the USS. I parked for years in cars without ultrasonics and the random beeps and chimes and can still manage that just fine because I’m an adult with eyes.

The rear cameras aren’t hard to judge distance at all TBH, really not worth getting your panties a twist over.

Reactions: Mullermn