Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y insurance ..AAA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As many other have said here now, it seems AAA does not (currently) want to insure Teslas.

I had them for 8 years, never any issue with ICE BMWs but when we got our first BMW i3 they actually made us come in to the office to take pictures of the car, as it was apparently classified as exotic (likely due to that cars carbon fiber frame) and they basically were treating it like I was trying to insure a Ferrari with them or something. The rates were also significantly higher than an equivalently priced ICE, but they were generally consistent with other insurers. Years, later when we leased our second i3 it was no big deal for them then, so it seems that they may just have a very conservative attitude towards covering new/unproven car platforms.

Then we tried getting quotes for the Model Y in the weeks before delivery. The numbers were insane, the equivalent of going from about $120 a month to over $400 a month for the same driver. As we are in California we got a quote through Tesla insurance, and they came in extremely low, essentially what I would expect an equivalent ICE to cost to insure. They can also insure non-Teslas now as well, and their rates are competitive, so we were able to switch over completely and take advantage of any multi car benefits available.

As many other have said here now, it seems AAA does not (currently) want to insure Teslas.

Then we tried getting quotes for the Model Y in the weeks before delivery. The numbers were insane, the equivalent of going from about $120 a month to over $400 a month for the same driver. As we are in California we got a quote through Tesla insurance, and they came in extremely low, essentially what I would expect an equivalent ICE to cost to insure. They can also insure non-Teslas now as well, and their rates are competitive, so we were able to switch over completely and take advantage of any multi car benefits available.

At least you got a quote back from them I had sent emails and called them from the moment I had a VIN. I had even ask for a hypothetical quote from them a year ago and our PoC kept emailing me for months about adding the new car to the insurance. As soon as I had the VIN and told them that I'm adding a Model Y I've never heard back from him. I called and email until 3-4 days after I've taken delivery and I never got a quote back from them. Of all of the insurers AAA was the only company i've never heard anything from .I eventually went with a different insurer and got rid of the current ICE insurance we had with them with our remaining ICE car.

USAA quoted 225 for my MY yesterday, which is quite a bit more than I’m paying them for my ICE vehicle. The Tesla is also worth quite a bit more than my current vehicle. Planning to check out progressive today, but will probably stay with USAA as they also carry my homeowners and umbrella policies.

I don't have Costco but doesn't Tesla offer insurance in CA? Supposedly Elon got in the business because all other insurance companies were charging ridiculous rates for Teslas. Anyway, I've heard that Progressive is now offering reasonable rates.
I found that Tesla offers good insurance when insuring only a Tesla. Once you add other vehicles to your policy the premium is higher than my current policy

Others may disagree with this approach, but here goes anyway...

My Model 3 rates went up to $3,500 a year with AAA due to my running over a parking stop and denting the battery cover of a 2015 Soul EV. The Model 3 was part of a multi-car policy. At renewal time a couple years after the accident, I called AAA and they said the higher rates would be in effect for one more year. This was just when Tesla started selling insurance in California. Tesla quoted me $148/month for just the Model 3.

I pulled the AAA coverage and went with Tesla Insurance with no further comparisons. None of the insurers mentioned have a mission statement that says they are committed to accelerating the world's transition to sustainable energy. If I'm going to be giving away money, I'm choosing to give it to Tesla.

Also, when I asked them about adding a Model Y to the Model 3 policy, they said it would add about $10 a month to the bill.

RT

P.S. Lessons learned: drive safely, don't file insurance claims, buy more Tesla's :)

I just switched to Connect/Costco (CA) from Amica. Was paying $4k per year for 2 Tesla’s. Now just $1300 per year same coverage. I got a quote from AAA and they were just as expensive. Tried Tesla insurance too but they were not much better and I needed umbrella coverage as well.

Pretty crazy how wildly the insurance premiums can vary from person to person, zip code, and company. It’s not like the car loan, where your APR varies by a percent or two (so like $20 difference per month). But insurance could be hundreds of dollars difference per month. I received a quote from USAA, 100/300/100, plus comprehensive and collision, all at $500 deductible in WA state. It was $70 per month. I’m a male, married, early 30s, no tickets or accidents within the last decade (not sure how far back insurance companies care)

Reactions: dyau
I also got a quote from AAA and insurance for the MY is more than 2x the cost of my wife’s 2019 X3 and 20% more than my 2020 911. Clean driving record, condo on the policy and just us two drivers, I was shocked. I also got a quote from Progressive and it was ~$200 less annually. Just another thing to consider if we do end up pulling the trigger on a MY.