Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y makes hum noise all the time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, called Tesla and the advisor told me that it is NOT normal to have that noise running all the time. I have scheduled a service appointment for next week, and I'll report my results.

But in the meantime, I'd really like to understand from you guys if you have the same problem I have because I am totally confused now!

In a few words:

Low humming sound coming from the front running all the time while driving even when the AC is off. When the car is parked, the same sound keeps running for at least 30-40 minutes and then stops.

Ok, called Tesla and the advisor told me that it is NOT normal to have that noise running all the time. I have scheduled a service appointment for next week, and I'll report my results.

But in the meantime, I'd really like to understand from you guys if you have the same problem I have because I am totally confused now!

In a few words:

Low humming sound coming from the front running all the time while driving even when the AC is off. When the car is parked, the same sound keeps running for at least 30-40 minutes and then stops.

@fablau okay so I'm confused. In your first sentence you said it's not normal to have the nose running "all the time", yet in the last sentence you said it stops 30-40 mins after parking. Which is it?

If it's truly running all the time, then something is definitely wrong. On the other hand, it is completely normal for it to run for a period of time after parking, especially in particularly hot or particularly cold weather. The batteries need to be kept within a certain temperature range, and the car will absolutely run the heat pump when the vehicle is not in use in order to keep them within that comfortable range.

EDIT: for example, we have had a heat wave the past few days in BC, and temperatures were peaking well over 100 (around 111-113F including the humidity) for a few days. We took the MY out for a bit on Saturday doing some errands and after returning home, the heat pump was running for a very long time in the garage.

Well, the problem is that the sound is there even when the climate is off! That's the problem! Do you also have that noise when the climate is off?
Yes and no. If I floor it from a stop sign or have been running on the interstate hard, then yes I will hear it when I get home. Also if it is a hot day outside (95-110 degrees) then I hear it as the heat pump is trying to cool the batteries. Even if the AC is off the compressor will still come on to cool the batteries when it is hot outside. If it is a cool day (50-80) then no I don’t really hear it unless I’m running the vehicle. I’m not really an economy driver. I always average over 300+ wh.

• Love
Reactions: lUtriaNt and fablau
@fablau okay so I'm confused. In your first sentence you said it's not normal to have the nose running "all the time", yet in the last sentence you said it stops 30-40 mins after parking. Which is it?

If it's truly running all the time, then something is definitely wrong. On the other hand, it is completely normal for it to run for a period of time after parking, especially in particularly hot or particularly cold weather. The batteries need to be kept within a certain temperature range, and the car will absolutely run the heat pump when the vehicle is not in use in order to keep them within that comfortable range.

EDIT: for example, we have had a heat wave the past few days in BC, and temperatures were peaking well over 100 (around 111-113F including the humidity) for a few days. We took the MY out for a bit on Saturday doing some errands and after returning home, the heat pump was running for a very long time in the garage.
It sounds like he has a problem where the car thinks it needs to constantly cool the batteries. Just my opinion if it is constantly running and then shutting down 30-40 minutes after arriving home. They had some bad temperature switches which have been redesigned. Tesla is only replacing them if they become a problem.

Reactions: fablau

I am sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant "all the time" while driving with AC off. Once I finish driving, I park the car and the noise keeps going for 30-40 mins. I hope this is clear! Thanks :)

Reactions: hcdavis3
It sounds like he has a problem where the car thinks it needs to constantly cool the batteries. Just my opinion if it is constantly running and then shutting down 30-40 minutes after arriving home. They had some bad temperature switches which have been redesigned. Tesla is only replacing them if they become a problem.

Thank you for your posted details. I have an appointment with Tesla in 2 weeks, hopefully, I'll find out and lett you know guys.

Reactions: BijliZ
I am sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant "all the time" while driving with AC off. Once I finish driving, I park the car and the noise keeps going for 30-40 mins. I hope this is clear! Thanks :)

@fablau thanks for clarifying. This actually does not seem abnormal to me. I'm assuming you've got some pretty warm weather right now in Cali? While driving, whether or not you're requesting the cabin to be cooled, the car has to keep the batteries (and motors, which are in the coolant loop) from overheating, so I'm not surprised that it's running all the time while driving. And running for a period of time afterward is completely normal as well. If it was never shutting off after parking, then that would definitely be an issue.

Please do keep us posted on your service appointment results, but if I were a betting man I'm going to say they tell you what you're experiencing is normal and they don't do anything to fix.

@fablau thanks for clarifying. This actually does not seem abnormal to me. I'm assuming you've got some pretty warm weather right now in Cali? While driving, whether or not you're requesting the cabin to be cooled, the car has to keep the batteries (and motors, which are in the coolant loop) from overheating, so I'm not surprised that it's running all the time while driving. And running for a period of time afterward is completely normal as well. If it was never shutting off after parking, then that would definitely be an issue.

Please do keep us posted on your service appointment results, but if I were a betting man I'm going to say they tell you what you're experiencing is normal and they don't do anything to fix.

Do you think that'd happen even if I don't turn the AC on at all? Because that's the case. And the ambient temperature is not hotter than 75F (24C) where I live. Thank you!

So after driving the Y this morning I can confirm that I can hear the humming you speak of. It is the heat pump working to cool the vehicle. I don’t notice it on the interstate just when sitting in traffic or parked. I guess I have never paid enough attention to notice. Of course I came from an ICE car so the hum doesn’t really bother me. Maybe I have tuned it out since I have been driving it for a while?
I took my car to Tesla Model Y (picked up a couple of seeks ago) today for the same problem. The humming noise literally is causing slight headache for me.

Tesla's response is the following:

"Tested air conditioning with customer. Found noise was from the compressor, and this is normal operation. Verified air conditioning is working as expected no improvement needed.

Correction: General Diagnosis - No Trouble Found"

This humming noise is SUPER ANNOYING!!!!

I took my car to Tesla Model Y (picked up a couple of seeks ago) today for the same problem. The humming noise literally is causing slight headache for me.

Tesla's response is the following:

"Tested air conditioning with customer. Found noise was from the compressor, and this is normal operation. Verified air conditioning is working as expected no improvement needed.

Correction: General Diagnosis - No Trouble Found"

This humming noise is SUPER ANNOYING!!!!

So sorry for your headache. It makes me mad for sure! Is that happening even with the A/C off? Please, let me know. Thanks.

I'm specifically referring to my Model Y. We also have a Model 3 without a heat pump. Both are silent if the HVAC is turned off.

That seems promising! I really don't see the point to have the heat pump on all the time if the AC is off. I understand running once in a while for batteries, etc... but really all the time? Even when I just open the door of the car that's happening. Yes, I forgot to mention, but even if I just open a door, the pump starts running and doesn't stop for 30 minutes or so. Definitively weird.

That seems promising! I really don't see the point to have the heat pump on all the time if the AC is off. I understand running once in a while for batteries, etc... but really all the time? Even when I just open the door of the car that's happening. Yes, I forgot to mention, but even if I just open a door, the pump starts running and doesn't stop for 30 minutes or so. Definitively weird.
Yup, I am seeing the same things as you...

Yup, I am seeing the same things as you...

Thank you for letting me know. I am afraid there is nothing we can do about it then and that I am going to just waste my time to take it to the service center. If this is how it behaves, it is definitively bad design. I am all about improving performance and efficiency, but that shouldn't affect the driving experience this bad.

I'll post my results with the service due on July 15th. Thanks again to everyone.

Just to give you more details about this issue, today I have made a test. I have driven for 40 minutes on regular roads for about 40 minutes, AC was always off and the ambient temperature was around 66F (19C). Since the moment I have unplugged the car, the damn noise started and never stopped for the whole drive. Actually, it became even louder after a while during driving it, and here is a video I took as soon as I got home:

It gives you an idea of the level of noise it makes. The "click" you hear in the video is a clock hanging on the wall of the garage.

I can't believe Tesla has done such a poor design. Very, very disappointing.

Just to give you more details about this issue, today I have made a test. I have driven for 40 minutes on regular roads for about 40 minutes, AC was always off and the ambient temperature was around 66F (19C). Since the moment I have unplugged the car, the damn noise started and never stopped for the whole drive. Actually, it became even louder after a while during driving it, and here is a video I took as soon as I got home:

It gives you an idea of the level of noise it makes. The "click" you hear in the video is a clock hanging on the wall of the garage.

I can't believe Tesla has done such a poor design. Very, very disappointing.
I think we've been pretty clear, this isn't normal, there's something wrong with your Model Y. This is not Tesla's design.

Reactions: DanDi58
I would just turn on the Coconuts driving sound and see if the humming sound goes away and/or is replaced by the new sound. If so then it may be your pedestrian warning system.

*EDIT: You mention the sound comes from the front, and that is where the pedestrian speaker is mounted as well, underneath the car near the front bumper.