Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y makes hum noise all the time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think we've been pretty clear, this isn't normal, there's something wrong with your Model Y. This is not Tesla's design.

I disagree. I don't hear anything out of the ordinary there. The heat pump runs for a while after driving to cool the batteries. The user manual even calls it out, as I quoted earlier: Model Y makes hum noise all the time.

From what I can hear in @fablau's video, it sounds normal for the Model Y. I also don't understand why this is bad design. The batteries need to be maintained in a certain temperature range to maintain their viability long term. Would you rather have a totally silent vehicle but the battery capacity degraded so quickly that you had to replace the expensive battery pack every few years due to poor remaining usable range? Or worse, suffered from instability and risk of fire? (Not sure if you've been following, but Hyundai Hyundai recalling 82,000 electric vehicles worldwide over fire risks and Chevy GM launches recall fix for 69,000 Bolt EVs facing battery-charging fire risk are both facing massive battery pack recalls right now due to multiple vehicle fires. I don't know if these are due to thermal issues or not, but I'd still prefer to keep my pack stable.)

I disagree. I don't hear anything out of the ordinary there. The heat pump runs for a while after driving to cool the batteries. The user manual even calls it out, as I quoted earlier: Model Y makes hum noise all the time.

From what I can hear in @fablau's video, it sounds normal for the Model Y. I also don't understand why this is bad design. The batteries need to be maintained in a certain temperature range to maintain their viability long term. Would you rather have a totally silent vehicle but the battery capacity degraded so quickly that you had to replace the expensive battery pack every few years due to poor remaining usable range? Or worse, suffered from instability and risk of fire? (Not sure if you've been following, but Hyundai Hyundai recalling 82,000 electric vehicles worldwide over fire risks and Chevy GM launches recall fix for 69,000 Bolt EVs facing battery-charging fire risk are both facing massive battery pack recalls right now due to multiple vehicle fires. I don't know if these are due to thermal issues or not, but I'd still prefer to keep my pack stable.)
He's saying it makes this noise all the time though -- I've never experienced that. If I hold the fan button to turn the HVAC off completely, I don't hear any of this noise in mine. Yes, after a drive or occasionally when I go in the garage I will hear something similar as it is circulating coolant in the battery but the behavior OP is writing about sounds irregular to me.

Reactions: fablau

I am sorry to contradict you, but as I mentioned, the noise starts as soon as I unplug the charging cable, or as soon as I open the door after the car has been parked for hours (or the whole night). I don't see any relation between battery cooling or other cooling/heating process in this case.

If that’s the normal and expected behavior, I still think that’s bad design.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oddmanout
I would just turn on the Coconuts driving sound and see if the humming sound goes away and/or is replaced by the new sound. If so then it may be your pedestrian warning system.

*EDIT: You mention the sound comes from the front, and that is where the pedestrian speaker is mounted as well, underneath the car near the front bumper.

Sorry, I forgot to answer you: it is not the speaker, it is coming from where the heat pump is located. Thanks for your thoughts though!

I am sorry to contradict you, but as I mentioned, the noise starts as soon as I unplug the charging cable, or as soon as I open the door after the car has been parked for hours (or the whole night). I don't see any relation between battery cooling or other cooling/heating process in this case.

If that’s the normal and expected behavior, I still think that’s bad design.

@fablau I get these same behaviors. What's happening there is that you're waking the vehicle up from sleep, and it's assuming that may be because you want to go for a drive.

Opening the turns on the cabin HVAC, returning it to the setting you last had it at before getting out of the vehicle, and that's what you're hearing (possibly in addition to the car getting itself ready to drive). Just unplugging the cable I don't believe starts up the cabin HVAC but it does wake the car which starts getting itself ready to drive. If you close the door (all of them) again without being in the vehicle, the HVAC seems to kick down after a moment, but the heat pump may still be running getting the vehicle ready to drive. If you don't, that too should stop after a little bit.

If you just disconnect the cable without opening any doors it will still wake the vehicle and start conditioning it to drive. Again if you don't actually get in, it should settle back down after a little bit.

I think the timing of "a little bit" in both those examples varies based on probably a number of factors but probably mostly ambient temperature outside the vehicle and temperature of the battery pack. This is just guessing, which is why I intentionally left it with the vague "after a little bit" phrasing.

@fablau I get these same behaviors. What's happening there is that you're waking the vehicle up from sleep, and it's assuming that may be because you want to go for a drive.

Opening the turns on the cabin HVAC, returning it to the setting you last had it at before getting out of the vehicle, and that's what you're hearing (possibly in addition to the car getting itself ready to drive). Just unplugging the cable I don't believe starts up the cabin HVAC but it does wake the car which starts getting itself ready to drive. If you close the door (all of them) again without being in the vehicle, the HVAC seems to kick down after a moment, but the heat pump may still be running getting the vehicle ready to drive. If you don't, that too should stop after a little bit.

If you just disconnect the cable without opening any doors it will still wake the vehicle and start conditioning it to drive. Again if you don't actually get in, it should settle back down after a little bit.

I think the timing of "a little bit" in both those examples varies based on probably a number of factors but probably mostly ambient temperature outside the vehicle and temperature of the battery pack. This is just guessing, which is why I intentionally left it with the vague "after a little bit" phrasing.

That's what I thought also, but there is a little missing detail... the AC is off! And it was off the last time I have driven the car! Why in the heck the heat pump must always turn on, no matter if the AC is or was on or off? And no matter if I drive or not drive, and no matter if the temperature is cold, warm, or whatever, or if it has been parked for 1, 2, 10 hours? I see no sense in making the heat pump always start, no matter the condition. It is like having the beam lights turned on no matter if it is day or night, or having the windshield wiper on all the time, no matter if it is remaining or not... or having anything else always on even when it is not needed. If really these new cars need the heat pump being always on for whatever reason, let me just say that it is super-annoying and disappointing, mostly for a super-Tesla fan like myself. I have driven different Model Ss, Model Xs, and Model 3s for the past 8 years, and I have enjoyed their quietness so much that I couldn't think about driving an ICE car again in my life. But this one, jeez... it really reminds me of the always-on running engine... which at least stops when the car is parked and the key turned off.

I am wondering if the same problem is affecting the new Model Ss and Xs...

Sorry for the rant.

Well, other people have reported the same exact issue as you can see above. I am not sure if it is a defect or normal behavior. Tesla service will tell in 10 days!
It's not normal behavior. Mine doesn't do this - that's what I'm saying.

Yes, there are some sounds occasionally but, by and large, it should be silent if the car is not running and the HVAC is turned off. Occasionally mine will make some noise when it is circulating coolant through the battery which, by the way, is all connected to the heatpump through the octovalve. I suppose it is possible that the climate where you are is requiring the coolant to circulate through your battery all the time, but that's certainly not normal behavior based on the two teslas in my garage. I suspect you will find out that there's something amiss when you have your service appointment.

Reactions: fablau
It's not normal behavior. Mine doesn't do this - that's what I'm saying.

Yes, there are some sounds occasionally but, by and large, it should be silent if the car is not running and the HVAC is turned off. Occasionally mine will make some noise when it is circulating coolant through the battery which, by the way, is all connected to the heatpump through the octovalve. I suppose it is possible that the climate where you are is requiring the coolant to circulate through your battery all the time, but that's certainly not normal behavior based on the two teslas in my garage. I suspect you will find out that there's something amiss when you have your service appointment.

I really hope you are right @iamnid !!! I appreciated your posted information, it really gives me hope. Thank you!

Tesla service will tell in 10 days!

giphy.gif

Hi There,
I just took delivery of Model Y and have been enjoying the ride. Anyone using the TX tolltag ? What is the best place to add the tolltag on the windshield. I’ve heard from some of my friends that the original location under the mirror, as it interferes with the electronics. Any suggestions?

Hi There,
I just took delivery of Model Y and have been enjoying the ride. Anyone using the TX tolltag ? What is the best place to add the tolltag on the windshield. I’ve heard from some of my friends that the original location under the mirror, as it interferes with the electronics. Any suggestions?

@tallurianil welcome! The answer you seek is on page 177 of the owner's manual: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_y_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

Hi There,

Oh well, congrats on your new car! I'd love to hear from you about the topic of this thread... do you have the same "hum" problem I have explained? Even with AC off? I am curious to know about it!