Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y makes hum noise all the time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, credit to her for putting her foot down and demanding they get it right.

Honestly the next step could be to open a lemon law case. I don't really know what that entails, but a buddy of mine is going through it with his two-year-old Ford Explorer and expects to get a full refund.

Reactions: fablau
Wow, credit to her for putting her foot down and demanding they get it right.

Honestly the next step could be to open a lemon law case. I don't really know what that entails, but a buddy of mine is going through it with his two-year-old Ford Explorer and expects to get a full refund.

That's our backup plan besides the petition. A guy who reported to me talked to a lemon law attorney, and he said to keep a record of everything. And if Tesla in the end is unable or unwilling to fix the problem, there is something we can do in that realm.

I'd prefer not to reach that point though. It'd be better if Tesla would realize what's causing this problem and fix/replace the defective component(s). Is that too much to ask?!

The noise likely won’t qualify for the lemon law. It has to be a safety defect or something that has a significant impact on the use/value of the vehicle. Just like rattles and squeaks don’t qualify.

That's what I thought, but then I talked with this guy who has the same problem and he said he talked to an attorney and he said that this qualifies anyway, we just need to keep a record of everything until we have no more other options. At this point, I am not sure!

That's what I thought, but then I talked with this guy who has the same problem and he said he talked to an attorney and he said that this qualifies anyway, we just need to keep a record of everything until we have no more other options. At this point, I am not sure!
I think unless you opted out when you bought the car you are bound to using arbitration, double check the fine print of your purchase agreement.

I think unless you opted out when you bought the car you are bound to using arbitration, double check the fine print of your purchase agreement.

Ok, I just discussed via text message privately with that guy (he's not on these forums, but he signed my petition) and he told me that the same lawyer helped him a few years ago to have his money back with a new Mercedes just because the A/C smelled like wet socks.

Also, while he was discussing this problem with his lawyer, he said that this noise issue is much more serious because it can easily be considered a "safety issue" since the noise is (quote) "distracting, causes stress, and may cause headaches.".

I kinda agree with that. For sure it causes stress and it doesn't help with driving at all. Therefore, I see how a lawyer could make that become a "safety-related" issue.

Thoughts?

I am sorry for the bad news, but I am eager to know your thoughts on all this.
After having a loud Y that became quiet, I suspect the issue is not the loudness of the pump, but that the pump is running when it shouldn't be. For me a coolant top off fixed it. I suspect a variety of problems from bad temp sensor, air in the system, low coolant, or MCU turning on when it shouldn't could be in play.

Have you considered selling the car? In this market you will likely turn a nice profit off of any Tesla, let alone the Y. CarMax is completely painless. (Apologies if this was mentioned earlier.)

Mentioning this because Lemon Law was brought up. LL can be a long and arduous process and the best case results in a refund of what you paid.

This is not to take away from the goal of fixing the sound. I agree that it cuts into the enjoyment of the car, and the fact that some have the issue and some don’t makes it clear that a manufacturing defect of some sort is to blame.

Ok, I just discussed via text message privately with that guy (he's not on these forums, but he signed my petition) and he told me that the same lawyer helped him a few years ago to have his money back with a new Mercedes just because the A/C smelled like wet socks.

Also, while he was discussing this problem with his lawyer, he said that this noise issue is much more serious because it can easily be considered a "safety issue" since the noise is (quote) "distracting, causes stress, and may cause headaches.".

I kinda agree with that. For sure it causes stress and it doesn't help with driving at all. Therefore, I see how a lawyer could make that become a "safety-related" issue.

Thoughts?
I’m not a lawyer so I’m not going to give any legal advice. However typically lemon law claims go through an arbitrator. You’re at the mercy of the arbitrator for what they feel meets the criteria.

There was another member on here where Tesla banned them from buying any more Tesla’s after they did a buyback on their car. Just an FYI Tesla banned me from purchasing another Tesla after vehicle buyback

After having a loud Y that became quiet, I suspect the issue is not the loudness of the pump, but that the pump is running when it shouldn't be. For me a coolant top off fixed it. I suspect a variety of problems from bad temp sensor, air in the system, low coolant, or MCU turning on when it shouldn't could be in play.

Well, that may be, but there is the fact that I have tried Model Ys that are always quiet, even when the water pumps are running. In any case, Tesla technicians should know how to figure that out and fix it.

Your experience is somewhat interesting, which makes me think that the noise might have been caused by air in the coolant line. And as I wrote earlier, that was our first tried fix: taking out all the air in the line. But the problem wasn't solved. The noise remained...

Have you considered selling the car? In this market you will likely turn a nice profit off of any Tesla, let alone the Y. CarMax is completely painless. (Apologies if this was mentioned earlier.)

Mentioning this because Lemon Law was brought up. LL can be a long and arduous process and the best case results in a refund of what you paid.

This is not to take away from the goal of fixing the sound. I agree that it cuts into the enjoyment of the car, and the fact that some have the issue and some don’t makes it clear that a manufacturing defect of some sort is to blame.

Yes, I have considered that A LOT. The fact is, that I don't want to end up having another car with the same problem. Until I hear people getting new cars with this problem, I am holding in selling and ordering a new car. And there is another problem: I need this car for driving. If I sell now and I order a new Model Y, when will I get it? In February 2022, if I am lucky?

Reactions: polyphonic54
Yes, I have considered that A LOT. The fact is, that I don't want to end up having another car with the same problem. Until I hear people getting new cars with this problem, I am holding in selling and ordering a new car. And there is another problem: I need this car for driving. If I sell now and I order a new Model Y, when will I get it? In February 2022, if I am lucky?
I don’t know what kind of activity you’re getting on your website and petition, but these posts have been a little quiet recently. I‘m hoping that is a good sign for the new deliveries.

UPDATE:

Today I picked up my Model Y with the pumps replaced, and despite the noise being almost gone, it is still there. Much better though, and it is in a "tolerable" range. I couldn't get upset this time. The technician who took care of my problem since June knows this problem very well and could not do anything more to help, but yet, he was very kind to explain that the reality is Tesla has no idea what is causing this problem. They could keep replacing the pumps with the hope the noise will disappear, but there is no guarantee. I spoke to him for almost one hour today, asking him if there isn't really anything else they can do to fix the problem, and he said not as far as he knows. This is the topmost level this issue can be brought up to which is the replacement of the pumps after opening an engineering ticket.

I am really getting tired of fighting for this, and I am thinking of either accepting the problem or ordering a new Model Y and reselling this one.

At this point, I am afraid the petition I started on modelyissue.com is going to bring us anywhere either. I'll keep collecting signatures and, when 100 is reached, I'll submit it, but I have not much hope in it.

I'll keep following and leading this story as much as I can, eager to learn from other people's experiences.

Thank you again for following and contributing.

PS: By the way, the part they replaced are two pumps #1133851-00-G as you can see from the shot below:

PumpsDetails.jpg

Reactions: Everlast
I’m sorry to hear that the replacement didn’t completely solve the problem. At this point, it’s mainly a question of what you’re willing to accept. Can you accept the new tolerable sound level? If complete silence is what your heart desires, then sell it. You have the rare opportunity of recouping or making money on your car.

As we mentioned earlier, the new reports are slowing down so maybe another try is worth it. Good luck with your decision and thank you for all the research and effort you’ve put into trying to fix this for yourself and the community.

I’m sorry to hear that the replacement didn’t completely solve the problem. At this point, it’s mainly a question of what you’re willing to accept. Can you accept the new tolerable sound level? If complete silence is what your heart desires, then sell it. You have the rare opportunity of recouping or making money on your car.

As we mentioned earlier, the new reports are slowing down so maybe another try is worth it. Good luck with your decision and thank you for all the research and effort you’ve put into trying to fix this for yourself and the community.

Thank you very much, I really appreciate your words ;)

In fact, I just finished discussing the same with my wife. We are going to give it a couple of weeks to try and see if the noise is still really bothering us. If so, we'll consider ordering a new car.

I'll take a video with dB measurement later today for you to see.

Now, I have a few questions for anyone out there that sold a Tesla recently. How is the process going to work? How much commission companies like Carmax are going to take and are there any other "hidden" fees you must be aware of?

Also, I am thinking about the upcoming EV rebates. Will that apply to used cars as well? If so, that'd be a great deal for me to sell my car for around the same price as a new one, and buy a new one benefitting from the rebate. Otherwise, if my used car couldn't have the rebate, that wouldn't make much difference on my part, and instead, I could lose some money because I guess its value would drop significantly... the big question is how much?

Thanks again.

Reactions: ZzzzZ
Ok, here it is:

The app I have used to measure the noise is "Decibel X."

As you can see and hear, the situation has improved a lot. From 45-50db now I get around 31db. Of course, still noisier than my Model 3 (27dB) but not that much according to the app, even though, this app is NOT a professional meter and it has probably a minimum that cannot be lowered further. I think the Model 3 is probably much quieter in dB from what the app is showing. Fact is, even though the new pumps' noise is very low and can be heard just when you stop and the A/C is off, it is still there and may still bother me because I know that could be completely quiet. But I can probably live with it. I'll try to drive it for a couple of weeks and see how bad it is going to be.

Thank you for giving us a comparision... Ok so i can't hear any noise in model 3, but def hear sorry but annoying sound in M Y. going from 45-50 to 31 is a big improvement though. Im putting my car on the market as soon as i get another MY so i can share my selling experience then....

So overall there is a significant improvement from your perspective......... good news... thank you again for your report!