Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y makes hum noise all the time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for giving us a comparision... Ok so i can't hear any noise in model 3, but def hear sorry but annoying sound in M Y. going from 45-50 to 31 is a big improvement though. Im putting my car on the market as soon as i get another MY so i can share my selling experience then....

So overall there is a significant improvement from your perspective......... good news... thank you again for your report!

Thank you! I am very interested to know how you'll approach the selling of your car. I'll get in touch with you via private messaging. ;)

UPDATE:

I have great news for anyone here.

Today a guy in the group I created on Telegram where we are discussing this issue, told us that his service center replaced the whole supermanifold and the noise disappeared completely.

Interestingly enough, I have tested myself several times the vibration in my car, and it seemed to come exactly from the top water pump, not from the manifold itself. But I could have been deceived, of course. In any case, the replacement of the whole super-manifold seems to have done the trick at 100% for that guy.

And again today, I got another great news from one of the people who signed my petition. This lady had her Model 3 having this issue, and after pushing her service center to replace her car's water pumps, the problem was still there (she had a worse result than what I had after my car's water pumps replacement). Fact is, she requested to open a new engineering ticket for that, and today the head of the team told her the following:

"The engineering team is aware of the problem and a software update is scheduled to come out soon to address the problem and avoid the pumps running all the time"

This is amazing news, and I really hope it is true. No time frame has been given, but it sounds almost too good to be true!

Your thoughts on this?

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Ok, I need to correct what I posted above about the super-manifold replacement. After discussing with the guy who had that replacement, it looks like the problem didn't actually disappear completely, it is still there despite being greatly reduced. The results seem to be pretty much like my own results by just replacing the water pumps.

Again, it seems to be an issue solvable by "random chance".

At this point, we all hope the software update rumor will really fix it once for all.

Reactions: gleearch
Hi, so how is it going with ur current noise level, do you still notice it? bothers you?

Good question. Today I drove 120 miles on the freeway, and I didn't notice it at all. When I drive on regular roads, and I stop at lights, I notice it, but sincerely it doesn't bother me much. Of course, if I start thinking that that damn noise shouldn't be there, I become upset and the noise starts to stress me again (more psychologically than because of the noise itself). But if I don't think that, I think I can live with it.

UPDATE:

Today I picked up my Model Y with the pumps replaced, and despite the noise being almost gone, it is still there. Much better though, and it is in a "tolerable" range. I couldn't get upset this time. The technician who took care of my problem since June knows this problem very well and could not do anything more to help, but yet, he was very kind to explain that the reality is Tesla has no idea what is causing this problem. They could keep replacing the pumps with the hope the noise will disappear, but there is no guarantee. I spoke to him for almost one hour today, asking him if there isn't really anything else they can do to fix the problem, and he said not as far as he knows. This is the topmost level this issue can be brought up to which is the replacement of the pumps after opening an engineering ticket.

I am really getting tired of fighting for this, and I am thinking of either accepting the problem or ordering a new Model Y and reselling this one.

At this point, I am afraid the petition I started on modelyissue.com is going to bring us anywhere either. I'll keep collecting signatures and, when 100 is reached, I'll submit it, but I have not much hope in it.

I'll keep following and leading this story as much as I can, eager to learn from other people's experiences.

Thank you again for following and contributing.

PS: By the way, the part they replaced are two pumps #1133851-00-G as you can see from the shot below:

UPDATE:

Today I picked up my Model Y with the pumps replaced, and despite the noise being almost gone, it is still there. Much better though, and it is in a "tolerable" range. I couldn't get upset this time. The technician who took care of my problem since June knows this problem very well and could not do anything more to help, but yet, he was very kind to explain that the reality is Tesla has no idea what is causing this problem. They could keep replacing the pumps with the hope the noise will disappear, but there is no guarantee. I spoke to him for almost one hour today, asking him if there isn't really anything else they can do to fix the problem, and he said not as far as he knows. This is the topmost level this issue can be brought up to which is the replacement of the pumps after opening an engineering ticket.

I am really getting tired of fighting for this, and I am thinking of either accepting the problem or ordering a new Model Y and reselling this one.

At this point, I am afraid the petition I started on modelyissue.com is going to bring us anywhere either. I'll keep collecting signatures and, when 100 is reached, I'll submit it, but I have not much hope in it.

I'll keep following and leading this story as much as I can, eager to learn from other people's experiences.

Thank you again for following and contributing.

PS: By the way, the part they replaced are two pumps #1133851-00-G as you can see from the shot below:

View attachment 723692
Is there such a rule that petition can be submitted after you have collected 100+ signatures? I see it stands at 62 now. It seems not many new people seem to report it these days. So sounds like a certain batch of cars, manfuctured around a specific time window have this problem. My service appt is on Nov2nd. So will see what they say

Reactions: fablau
Is there such a rule that petition can be submitted after you have collected 100+ signatures? I see it stands at 62 now. It seems not many new people seem to report it these days. So sounds like a certain batch of cars, manfuctured around a specific time window have this problem. My service appt is on Nov2nd. So will see what they say

No, I decided to wait until we have at least 100 people just to have more impact, but we can certainly decide to submit it even with just 62 people. I think that it'll be anyway wise to wait a few weeks before proceeding until we see all service center responses will settle with an unanimous result. Also, if the announced "software update fixing" it is actually going to happen.

But I am open to any feedback, thoughts, and ideas you may have guys. Nothing is written in stone, and we are all together on this ;)

I am looking forward for your November 2nd appointment's result!

My wife and I have owned a refreshed M3 for almost a year now, and never noticed the humming described in this thread. However! We picked up our new MY this Friday and there is definitely a noticeable loud humming, even when the AC is turned off. We originally chalked it up to the fact the MY has a bigger cabin, so it would require a bigger heat pump. So that might be the reason we don't notice it in the M3? My wife made a good point though. Our home is entirely conditioned with multiple mini-split heat pumps, and they don't make a loud humming noise. So, is this a water pump problem?

My wife and I have owned a refreshed M3 for almost a year now, and never noticed the humming described in this thread. However! We picked up our new MY this Friday and there is definitely a noticeable loud humming, even when the AC is turned off. We originally chalked it up to the fact the MY has a bigger cabin, so it would require a bigger heat pump. So that might be the reason we don't notice it in the M3? My wife made a good point though. Our home is entirely conditioned with multiple mini-split heat pumps, and they don't make a loud humming noise. So, is this a water pump problem?

Yes, most probably. Also, be aware that this issue seems to be affecting just Model 3s and Model Ys delivered between June and October.

I contacted Tesla through the app asking them to send a technician and take a look. They asked me to send the video. I made a video and sent them the youtube link. They refused to click at the link as they said they can't click on an unauthorized link. I put the video on the samsung cloud. They refused again saying it is unauthorized and asked me for actual video. Actual video has to be less than 20MB to be attached to the mail client. A less than 20MB video cannot capture the noise. If I knew Tesla is so arrogant and unprofessional I would have never bought a Tesla. This Model 3 is my first but for sure also the last.

I contacted Tesla through the app asking them to send a technician and take a look. They asked me to send the video. I made a video and sent them the youtube link. They refused to click at the link as they said they can't click on an unauthorized link. I put the video on the samsung cloud. They refused again saying it is unauthorized and asked me for actual video. Actual video has to be less than 20MB to be attached to the mail client. A less than 20MB video cannot capture the noise. If I knew Tesla is so arrogant and unprofessional I would have never bought a Tesla. This Model 3 is my first but for sure also the last.

That's insane and I understand your feelings. Very, very disappointing.

Hello here.

I just got my new Model Y two days ago (long range, dual motor), and I have noticed that there is a continuous humming sound coming from the front all the time, either when I am driving or when the car is parked. Once parked, the noise will eventually go away, but it takes several minutes (30-40?) to stop. It is most annoying when driving and the climate is off. For example, when stopping at intersections, I keep hearing this humming sound which is very, very annoying.

I have a 2019 Model 3 and never had such a problem, it is completely silent when the climate is off. I used to have a 2016 Model S, and never had this problem either. That's the beauty of electric cars, being completely silent!

Any ideas? is this a new "feature" or a defect of my new car?

Thanks.
I just got my Model Y Performance a month ago. I started noticing a loud humming noise inside the cabin even when my climate control is off. My wife has a Model Y Long Range and she doesn't have the issue. I just drop it to Tesla to check it out. At first, the service person at Tesla says it was normal which I don't agree with. They are running tests as we speak and I will update the test result.

I just got my Model Y Performance a month ago. I started noticing a loud humming noise inside the cabin even when my climate control is off. My wife has a Model Y Long Range and she doesn't have the issue. I just drop it to Tesla to check it out. At first, the service person at Tesla says it was normal which I don't agree with. They are running tests as we speak and I will update the test result.
Thank you for reporting, please, keep us posted with the result. Fortunately, you have a reference to combat with (your wife's quiet Model Y), so their usual "it's normal" response is not going to work ;)

Good question! I got a few people reporting the issue with cars delivered in November on modelyissue.com. Still early to say, but it looks like fewer people have reported for this month compared to the previous ones.
I see. Curious to see what their build date is. If indeed the engineers are aware then they should have rectified this issue on the factory line. Fingers crossed for everyone who has this issue and for future deliveries. I have one inbound by end of month. With this COVID delivery type I will want to make sure they turn the car on before I accept delivery.

I see. Curious to see what their build date is. If indeed the engineers are aware then they should have rectified this issue on the factory line. Fingers crossed for everyone who has this issue and for future deliveries. I have one inbound by end of month. With this COVID delivery type I will want to make sure they turn the car on before I accept delivery.
My understanding is they will not let you inside the car until you accept delivery. That’s what I was told when asking about inspecting the car.