Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y new variant? Standard AWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw a few of these pop up today on new inventory. Are they using a lithium iron phosphate battery? Don't recall seeing them before today, but I haven't followed the Model Y that closely.

ModelY.JPG

Saw a few of these pop up today on new inventory. Are they using a lithium iron phosphate battery? Don't recall seeing them before today, but I haven't followed the Model Y that closely.

View attachment 900490
This is the Model Y with 4680 cells out of Texas. They‘ve been available as off-menu inventory purchases on and off for most of 2022. Availability is limited so they just add them to inventory when they have them so they have yet to get added to the configurator.

Thanks, maybe since I am in California, I haven't seen many of these. Just started looking for a Model 3/Y to replace my Chevy Bolt. Love my wife's lithium iron phosphate battery charging to 100% in her Model 3. Kind of sucks we missed these big rebates and discounts since I got it in October.

I wonder the purpose of having such limited production,
making the logistic of maintaining and tradding those versions even more complex?

Is it like a mule test used for prevalidation but in a limited number to avoid any Osborne effect?
They have a limited supply of 4680 cells right now. Until they get all the kinks worked out of the new cell factory, they can only make a handful. Seems like they are making them in batches a few 1000 at a time. The rest of Austin output is 2170 cells.

They have a limited supply of 4680 cells right now. Until they get all the kinks worked out of the new cell factory, they can only make a handful. Seems like they are making them in batches a few 1000 at a time. The rest of Austin output is 2170 cells.
Interesting, so there is one chassis with a big hole allowing to lift from below the structural battery cells and front driver seat,
and another chassis without the big opening in the middle, so only the battery is bolted from below, and the seats are installed from above.
It make sense then to have two separate batches.

Thanks, maybe since I am in California, I haven't seen many of these. Just started looking for a Model 3/Y to replace my Chevy Bolt. Love my wife's lithium iron phosphate battery charging to 100% in her Model 3. Kind of sucks we missed these big rebates and discounts since I got it in October.
At quick glance, you wouldn't be to tell it apart from LR AWD visually. It has 4680 cells, but NOT LFP. No MY in North America has LFP battery.

Its actually $2,500 price difference. This 4680 AWD have induction wheels.
Interesting. Did they lower the price? Last time I looked base price was $51,990 . It must be $50,990 now. LR went up in price by $500. So I see your correct.

Still even at $2,500 I would go with the LR. The 4680 is not LFP so you have to remember your really only going to want to charge that to 90%. So assuming 19" Gemini wheels you looking at an EPA range of 250 miles for the standard AWD. Real world likely quite a bit less.