Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Orders: Now quoting 4-8 weeks for delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, great news! I ordered a black/black LR AWD on 5/26 and received an intro email from my Tesla Advisor today. Really hope they start assigning black exterior VINs soon.

Congrats on your purchase, but if you some how get your delivery before people who's pre-ordered since 2019, thats really messed up. Tesla getting people excited to order but forgets old reservers -______-

Page indicated 8-12 weeks since re-opening - must be cranking them out!!

Gotta crank them out even faster the Q1 since they have even less time to hit Q2 targets. I hope quality control isn't worse this time around as they rush them out :(

I do think part of the issues with deliveries before was due to lots of people canceling orders due to Covid. It would only make sense to assign a car to people as its being built as they have to know where to send cars.. but when people start canceling they end up with cars going all over the place and trying to reassign them etc.. so hopefully now things will get a little better.

Demands must be super low. Previously, Tesla said capacity will hit 1000/wk in the summer. Let's say under the best-case scenario, they upgraded their factory during the shutdown, the current capacity is 2000/wk. With the estimated delivery timeline is 4-8 wks for existing orders, which put the number of backorders at around 8000-16000 cars. Not too impressive, isn't it? Perhaps, we should all delay our orders for a few months for a price cut.

Another possibility is the timing. In regular, non-pandemic, times, in the beginning of the quarter, Tesla sends production cars overseas so they will get counted in the same quarter after shipment. US cars are scheduled closer to the end of the quarter since they don't travel as far.

I think Nosken hit the nail on the head. Normally Tesla allocates the first month or so of each quarter to overseas production so they get counted for the quarter. With the COVID shutdown, any production they ship overseas won't get there in time for Q2 sales/delivery numbers so I think they're dedicating all of Q2 now for USA and skipping EU Q2 entirely so we are seeing these reduced delivery estimates.