Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance 21" Tires - Larger, More Comfortable Fitment Details and Experience - Michelin AS4's (With Photos)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would love it if that was the case and it really recalibrated!!

I just ordered some new wheels 21inch and will be going with the tire setup mention here.

Raurele how many total miles have you done on this setup total ?

I like the thought of higher sidewall and lowered affect, just unsure if it will cause any serious issue to the motors or suspension long term since it’s 6% bigger than OEM.
I drive 60k miles a year. since posting this ive done about 30k. Still perfection. never ribbed and I don't go easy on them.

Reactions: Kensta
mine seems to have corrected itself over the last few updates. I would suggest switching your tire setup in your car settings to a different size tire, then back to the 21". might be a placebo, but im pretty sure it recalibrated the tires after switching that. my pedometer is only 2MPH off now when going 75 (speedometer says 75, actually going 77). it used to be 6 off. showed 81.
That's really interesting. I'll try it.

Can anyone chime in on my recent wheel purchase. I have a Long range Y and recently bought a new set of 21" Uberturbines (love it for the looks over the inductions). Then found someone to trade me their 2 rears for my 2 fronts. So now I have a square set of Rear wheels/tires. Planning to put them on the car and run down the tires as it doesn't make sense not to just use new tires. What tire size should i replace them with when the time comes? Thanks!

Ok. Made the switch. 265/40/21 on the front and 295/40/21 on the rear. Michelin pilot sport 4 all season. The quick summary.

Looks great.
Feels mildly softer.
No rubbing or fitment issues.
Slightly more curb protection.
Here it is… pretty nasty energy usage increase.

Take into account that I’ve only had them one day. I’ll follow up in a month or so but… my everyday drive to work is 74 miles (one way) and with the stock AS4s I repeatedly registered around 276 Wh/mile. Same drive this morning returned a 338 Wh/mile consumption… Ouch.

Hope this was an anomaly… probably not though.

Reactions: OutofPocket
Ok. Made the switch. 265/40/21 on the front and 295/40/21 on the rear. Michelin pilot sport 4 all season. The quick summary.

Looks great.
Feels mildly softer.

Take into account that I’ve only had them one day. I’ll follow up in a month or so but… my everyday drive to work is 74 miles (one way) and with the stock AS4s I repeatedly registered around 276 Wh/mile. Same drive this morning returned a 338 Wh/mile consumption… Ouch.

Would’t your speedo/odometer be off as well? This will contribute to some of that but obviously not all of it.

Would’t your speedo/odometer be off as well? This will contribute to some of that but obviously not all of it.
with my car
255/35r21 on the front 2% overreporting compared to GPS speed so 100 speedo 98 gps
275/35r21 on the front 0.25 % underreporting compared to GPS speed so 100 speedo 100.25 gps
255/40r21 on the front 2% underreporting compared to GPS speed so 100 speedo 102 gps
all in km/h sorry

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: madmax240

Looks great.
Feels mildly softer.

Thanks for posting! Keep us updated on your energy use. I’m planning to do the same upgrade to mine but I only have a 4 mile commute to work.

Reactions: OutofPocket
How about also posting a pic with the new tires!
I’ll definitely get some pics... I thought of another possible contributor to my energy consumption issue. My commute is normally 74 miles. I’ve been registering 66 miles since making the tire switch. So, if the car is thinking it’s only going 66 when it’s actually going 74, it should make sense that the Wh/mile value would be increased. I’m not quite sure how to calculate the actual energy consumption post-tire switch but at least there is a reason for the variance in energy efficiency. If anyone has a good idea on how to calculate the true consumption I’d appreciate any help. Thanks.

Loving the idea of the bigger tires!
I recently go a nasty bubble on my Pzeros side wall and the ride is now crap.

Any one know the best place for to buy the 265 and 295 Michelin Sports AS from?
I’m currently sitting at a $1800 quote from a local shop. (Mounted and balanced)
I’m hoping I can do a little better..

How about also posting a pic with the new tires!
I’ll definitely get some pics... I thought of another possible contributor to my energy consumption issue. My commute is normally 74 miles. I’ve been registering 66 miles since making the tire switch. So, if the car is thinking it’s only going 66 when it’s actually going 74, it should make sense that the Wh/mile value would be increased. I’m not quite sure how to calculate the actual energy consumption post-tire switch but at least there’s a reason the variance

Not the best pics. Been getting lots of nasty weather in the NYC area.
D60E7A96-AE30-4746-9752-F060BB805EB7.jpeg
6D5B8979-C859-4D59-BDF3-F03828641F98.jpeg
037CBC99-339A-468C-A4CD-853A3A6B701E.jpeg

Looks great.
Feels mildly softer.

first 1000 miles on new tires is always bad efficiency. I get what I always got after 20k miles on these.

Reactions: Here4gangbang

Looks great.
Feels mildly softer.

What tires were you using before? The efficiency loss can be partially explained by these factors, as opposed to them simply being wider and heavier:
  • new tires can be stickier
  • since you increased overall diameter, your efficiency would be off by a similar percentage. You're actually getting better than 338 Wh/mile
  • the Pilot Sport AS4s likely have more grip than your older tires

Reactions: Here4gangbang