Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance 21" Tires - Larger, More Comfortable Fitment Details and Experience - Michelin AS4's (With Photos)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks awesome! Im sold on these. Do you happen to know which models you got. I noticed there are a few with different load indexes and didn’t want to order the wrong ones.
Photo uploads arent working for me from my phone. Attaching the images I just took for you.

2816 is the rear
2817 is the front

Curb rash is from the OEM tire size times lol

Attachments

• IMG_2817.jpeg
    IMG_2817.jpeg
    573.1 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_2816.jpeg
    IMG_2816.jpeg
    570 KB · Views: 241
Reactions: WhiteAdobo
Photo uploads arent working for me from my phone. Attaching the images I just took for you.

2816 is the rear
2817 is the front

Curb rash is from the OEM tire size times lol
Thanks man appreciate it! Going to be ordering them in the next couple of weeks. My wife just hit a curb last week while driving my car 🤦‍♂️

How does the ride compare to stock? I can feel every little bump.

Thanks man appreciate it! Going to be ordering them in the next couple of weeks. My wife just hit a curb last week while driving my car 🤦‍♂️

How does the ride compare to stock? I can feel every little bump.
its slightly better. only so much room to improve with 21" Rims. I highly suggest changing your PSI to 38-39PSI when cold. That makes just as much of a difference than going with the larger tires. Even Elon suggests going with 39PSI

Reactions: WhiteAdobo
Hey everyone! If you've bought a set of michelins after reading this, I just had this sent to me through one of the Tesla communities I follow.

15% rebate on michelins bought any time during 2023. So no excuse to not get the best tires you can get.

Michelin Discount Program PDF
Link to submit your invoice and details

Where it asks for the "Pro Discount Code", use:

INFPRO15-PNTF-E1PU

Mods: I'm not affiliated with Michelin, or any specific group. I just wanted to share since these tires are NOT cheap and a lot of you seem to have made the switch! My full set was about $2000 after taxes and fees.

Fitment is always a bit of an issue… one you can’t really be sure of when the numbers are close, without doing a test fit.

Even for tires that are the same size in diameter, sometimes there’s a change in tread size/shape that makes the corner rounder or more square.

Communicate with the seller to see what you can do as far as test fitting. Local shops that sell tires might‘ve let you mount the tires to see if their tires fit. But seeing as this was not local, it’ll be difficult.

Hi everyone,
I finally got my 295 45 r20 rears with 15mm spacers and 275 45 r20 fronts with 15mm spacers on my 20” Inductions Model Y LR 7 seater and it’s perfect. I doubt I even needed spacers but I do love the aggressive look and better handling. Had family members sitting in the rear and no rubbing what’s so ever. My rims are now protected and I feel that it looks way better.

Attachments

• IMG_0779.jpeg
    IMG_0779.jpeg
    610.5 KB · Views: 213
  • 36C134B9-6540-4962-9715-AF16B0A1A3BC.jpeg
    36C134B9-6540-4962-9715-AF16B0A1A3BC.jpeg
    785.8 KB · Views: 199
  • 280E2A47-4404-4044-987B-7BAC12AA03E9.jpeg
    280E2A47-4404-4044-987B-7BAC12AA03E9.jpeg
    822.8 KB · Views: 193
  • 3BA3C8E8-6B94-4759-A3BE-FC2AE258D329.jpeg
    3BA3C8E8-6B94-4759-A3BE-FC2AE258D329.jpeg
    820.6 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_0777.jpeg
    IMG_0777.jpeg
    767.4 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_0774.jpeg
    IMG_0774.jpeg
    760.9 KB · Views: 235
Reactions: Raurele
I am fairly new to EVs.

The stock tires on the MYP are ~2% different in radius, some of the proposed sized have a ~3.5% difference or more.

In an ICE awd vehicle, you typically want all four wheels to turn at the same rate as to not kill the center diff. Since we are talking EV, is there a similar concern? Obviously not a mechanical concern, but does the car assume the delta and spin the motors to account for the variance? How does the car know how fast to spin each motor based on the tire circumference changes?

It would be ideal to find a combo with a thicker sidewall but keep the 2% variance.

Getting ready to swap out tires but torn between which option to chose. I understand the impact the 40’s have on speedo but I haven’t seen much mention about odometer impact. I would assume fewer revolutions per mile so the odometer should underreport actual mileage. Has this been the experience of those running the 265/40, 295/40 setup?

I'll ask again...how do the 40's affect odometer? Will it under report or over report actual miles? Only important with respect to warranty as you'll hit the 50k mileage limit faster if odometer over reports actual miles driven. Has anyone with this setup seen a big discrepancy? Again, not asking about speedometer but odometer.

I'll ask again...how do the 40's affect odometer? Will it under report or over report actual miles? Only important with respect to warranty as you'll hit the 50k mileage limit faster if odometer over reports actual miles driven. Has anyone with this setup seen a big discrepancy? Again, not asking about speedometer but odometer.
Varies
At the lower speeds,under reports speed by 4 mph, therefore 55 is 59
At higher speeds, under reports by 7 mph, therefore 70 is 77

Again, that's speedometer and that's been discussed throughout the thread. What nobody has talked about is the odometer. If I drive an actual mile, will the odometer say more than a mile or less than a mile?
You're asking a question you can simply figure out for yourself. Speedometer and odometers are related as far as changing wheel/tire sizes go. If it takes less spins to go faster, then it’s going to count less miles… that simple.

Reactions: 804son
I am fairly new to EVs.

The stock tires on the MYP are ~2% different in radius, some of the proposed sized have a ~3.5% difference or more.

In an ICE awd vehicle, you typically want all four wheels to turn at the same rate as to not kill the center diff. Since we are talking EV, is there a similar concern? Obviously not a mechanical concern, but does the car assume the delta and spin the motors to account for the variance? How does the car know how fast to spin each motor based on the tire circumference changes?

It would be ideal to find a combo with a thicker sidewall but keep the 2% variance.
There is no ideal combo. but the difference has had zero downside for me. im on my second set of the larger tires.

You're asking a question you can simply figure out for yourself. Speedometer and odometers are related as far as changing wheel/tire sizes go. If it takes less spins to go faster, then it’s going to count less miles… that simple.
I get the q
If the speedo says less speed than a cop radar will read, actual speed
The odometer will turn slower
Therefore for actual 10K miles driven, the odometer will show less, a benefit for tire warranty but are we really talking about 9,600 odometer miles vs 10K actual?
Not worth this discussion
Sorry

I’m more worried about the speeding tickets for when I am driving 75 actual when I forget and think I’m running 68, bang I have a $400 ticket and five points
This is rhe issue

Btw, another important point is the new stress on the suspension with larger out of spec tires
A bigger concern then the wow looks and drives great

Sorry for the yah da yah da

I get the q
If the speedo says less speed than a cop radar will read, actual speed
The odometer will turn slower
Therefore for actual 10K miles driven, the odometer will show less, a benefit for tire warranty but are we really talking about 9,600 odometer miles vs 10K actual?
Not worth this discussion
Sorry

I’m more worried about the speeding tickets for when I am driving 75 actual when I forget and think I’m running 68, bang I have a $400 ticket and five points
This is rhe issue

Btw, another important point is the new stress on the suspension with larger out of spec tires
A bigger concern then the wow looks and drives great

Sorry for the yah da yah da
OP here. None of that is important.
There is not enough of a difference to affect suspension. thats paranoia.

if my speed says 70, i'm going 74. i'm not an idiot so I know that. I remember. I adjust.

youre looking for problems where there arent any. let it go

Just because this is the internet, doesnt mean you have to argue and find things you dont agree with.