Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance 21" Tires - Larger, More Comfortable Fitment Details and Experience - Michelin AS4's (With Photos)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went with B about 20K miles ago (Conti DWS 06 Plus), and I'm extremely happy with the results. Even wear all tires at a recent state safety inspection with plenty of tread left. Speedo offset is not an issue for me. The slight bulge has prevented curb rash once or twice. Much improved ride with no detectable impact on handling or range.

I’ve had the 265/294 40 Michelins for a couple of weeks now, and I agree with everything that‘s been said in this thread about the looks and improved ride quality that these tires provide. One thing that hasn’t been mentioned though that I definitely notice is that when approaching a stop these take longer to stop rolling than the OEM tires and I’m having to relearn how to one pedal drive and use the regen to stop. I guess because they have a larger rotational mass that they roll longer.

I’ve had the 265/294 40 Michelins for a couple of weeks now, and I agree with everything that‘s been said in this thread about the looks and improved ride quality that these tires provide. One thing that hasn’t been mentioned though that I definitely notice is that when approaching a stop these take longer to stop rolling than the OEM tires and I’m having to relearn how to one pedal drive and use the regen to stop. I guess because they have a larger rotational mass that they roll longer.
Not my experience at all. Ive had mine on for thousands of miles now.

So I've been trying to keep up with this thread and I see two primary variations in upsizing that people are doing. Trying to summarize:

StockOption A ("Upsize")Option B ("Supersize")
Front255/35/21275/35/21 (moved from OEM rear)265/40/21
Rear275/35/21295/35/21295/40/21
NotesIncreases sidewall height 0.27" and width 0.78" (rears)Increases sidewall height 0.86" and width 0.78" (rears)
Pros1. Better ride?
2. More "full"/square look on rims (less rubber band look)
3. Minimal (<1%) impact to speedo measurement
1. Great ride?
2. Visual heft/fills out wheel wells
Cons1. Ride isn't great
2. Tires look like rubber bands stretched over the rims
1. $$1. Significant (6%) speedo inaccuracy (reading 70 = 74.2)
2. $$$$

Does that about sum it up?

I actually am not sure I've seen direct comments on ride quality from people who have done Option A (Upsize), but maybe I just missed it because sometimes I'm trying to piece together comments across multiple posts to figure out who did what. The Supersize folks have definitely made it clear it improved ride quality significantly.
Anybody have any insight on how Option A & B would effect FSDb?

Torn between these two options.

Reactions: artsucksiquit
how did yall order the 295/265? I'm online trying to buy and it won't let me order. says it won't fit!!! Won't allow the order in this size
(discounttire.com)

Wheels2Capture.JPG

how did yall order the 295/265? I'm online trying to buy and it won't let me order. says it won't fit!!! Won't allow the order in this size
(discounttire.com)
Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 9.30.49 PM.png

You have to put in that year and model of each of those cars.
265 front tires = 2015 porsche macan turbo.
295 rear tires, 2021 Jaguar F-Pave SVR.

That lets you order them. both times ive shown up to get them installed, I had to tell the manager that I understand they arent the OEM fit. They had me sign a thing stating I understand that, and all was good. the second time was easier because they were replacing that same larger size. they saw that wear was even, and they fit so just had me sign that paper for liability reasons.

Reactions: Deaf Paul
Costco online tire ordering gives you the option to validate the size and for my wranglers with 35s, I never validated.
The tires would show up at Costco and they would install, no questions asked. For this route, be 110% certain of no potential issues for the non-original sizes before ordering.

Reactions: Deaf Paul
Costco online tire ordering gives you the option to validate the size and for my wranglers with 35s, I never validated.
The tires would show up at Costco and they would install, no questions asked. For this route, be 110% certain of no potential issues for the non-original sizes before ordering.

It may vary depending which Costco location because it is the supervisor would would have the final say. I talked my local Costco about going down a tire size along with the wheel (ie. 275/35/R21 to 275/40/R20) even thou retaining the same overall circumference, and said they were not sure and it was up to the supervisor; I did talk to them and the answer I got was a possibly.

I really appreciate this thorough explanation of what you’ve done here. I upgraded the read tires of my MYP to 295/35/21 but now the fronts need to be replaced and my rears are at about 50% tread so I’m likely going to replace all 4.

My question to you is… since you’ve upgraded your tires and it’s been some time now, have you had any issues when turning or while having extra weight in the car such as passengers and cargo? I am nervous the tires will rub or cause damage to the wheel well. Luckily my local tire shop has the Michelin pilot sport a/s 4 in stock.

Thanks!