Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance Uberturbine Square Box Set Up Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
9C3FAB6F-5C93-46B0-A4BE-DC449F3FA019.jpeg

Top pic is og staggered set up. Bottom is square set up.

TLDR: I have a square set up now with 2 Pairs of 21’’ x 10.5’’ Uberturbine rims. Ride is smoother, more stable, and negligible drop off in range if any. There is no rim rubbing. I am very happy I went through the trouble to do it :)
I got my dark gray MYP in early August. My neighbor has a white MYP. I was disappointed by the limitations of the staggered Uberturbine set up based on Youtube and Reddit research: not as good handling, inability to rotate tires. Since my neighbor had the same car, I asked if he would be willing to trade a pair of Uberturbine rims so we could both have a square set up. Since he had already roadrashed his front rims, I would take his rear rims and I would give him my front rims. His tires had 2,700 miles on them, I had 2,000 miles on mine. His tires are also Pirelli P-Zeroes while I have Michelin Pilot all-seasons. I do not mind having a Frankenstein tire set up because I can’t really tell the difference and I am not a tire snob.

We went to my neighbor’s friend’s aftermarket rim shop and they did the swap at no cost. The rim shop could not reset the 2022 TPMS sensors in our rims so they had to remove the tires, swap the respective TPMS sensors (take the TPMS sensors in my front 21’’x9.5’’ rims and put it on my neighbor’s rear 21’’x10.5’’ rims and vice versa), put the tires back on and pump them up again. The whole process took about 45 minutes.

I could feel the difference in the new ride immediately. The ride felt more smooth and stable. I have been tracking the range since the rim swap and so far there has been no to negligible drop off in range. There was no rim rubbing during turns. I feel like i have more tire contact to the road and I feel like I have more forgiving sidewalls. I was thinking of going to a larger 285 or 295 tire when I have to replace these tires but I will stay with stock all-season 275’s. I do not want to have a reduced efficiency / range and I am not sure whether or not there will be rubbing if I put a taller / wider tire on my front 21’’x10.5’’ rims.

My neighbor said his car feels lighter with his square 21’’x9.5’’ set up and it is also smoother. He said he likes the look of my square set up with my 21’’x10.5’’ set up but based on the pictures, I can’t really see a difference.
Feel free to share comments about the handling of your square set up. Please let me know what set up you have (10.5 or 9.5). If you have a larger 285 or 295 on your 21’’x10.5’’ front Uberturbine pair lmk how that is working for you.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 4564BDBC-B6A9-4BFA-918B-67BF78A9E739.jpeg
    4564BDBC-B6A9-4BFA-918B-67BF78A9E739.jpeg
    226.5 KB · Views: 255
  • 5C3D9277-DF27-4871-AD88-19CE0D2CC7F1.jpeg
    5C3D9277-DF27-4871-AD88-19CE0D2CC7F1.jpeg
    662.2 KB · Views: 259
Reactions: necroregion
View attachment 856671
Top pic is og staggered set up. Bottom is square set up.

TLDR: I have a square set up now with 2 Pairs of 21’’ x 10.5’’ Uberturbine rims. Ride is smoother, more stable, and negligible drop off in range if any. There is no rim rubbing. I am very happy I went through the trouble to do it :)
I got my dark gray MYP in early August. My neighbor has a white MYP. I was disappointed by the limitations of the staggered Uberturbine set up based on Youtube and Reddit research: not as good handling, inability to rotate tires. Since my neighbor had the same car, I asked if he would be willing to trade a pair of Uberturbine rims so we could both have a square set up. Since he had already roadrashed his front rims, I would take his rear rims and I would give him my front rims. His tires had 2,700 miles on them, I had 2,000 miles on mine. His tires are also Pirelli P-Zeroes while I have Michelin Pilot all-seasons. I do not mind having a Frankenstein tire set up because I can’t really tell the difference and I am not a tire snob.

We went to my neighbor’s friend’s aftermarket rim shop and they did the swap at no cost. The rim shop could not reset the 2022 TPMS sensors in our rims so they had to remove the tires, swap the respective TPMS sensors (take the TPMS sensors in my front 21’’x9.5’’ rims and put it on my neighbor’s rear 21’’x10.5’’ rims and vice versa), put the tires back on and pump them up again. The whole process took about 45 minutes.

I could feel the difference in the new ride immediately. The ride felt more smooth and stable. I have been tracking the range since the rim swap and so far there has been no to negligible drop off in range. There was no rim rubbing during turns. I feel like i have more tire contact to the road and I feel like I have more forgiving sidewalls. I was thinking of going to a larger 285 or 295 tire when I have to replace these tires but I will stay with stock all-season 275’s. I do not want to have a reduced efficiency / range and I am not sure whether or not there will be rubbing if I put a taller / wider tire on my front 21’’x10.5’’ rims.

My neighbor said his car feels lighter with his square 21’’x9.5’’ set up and it is also smoother. He said he likes the look of my square set up with my 21’’x10.5’’ set up but based on the pictures, I can’t really see a difference.
Feel free to share comments about the handling of your square set up. Please let me know what set up you have (10.5 or 9.5). If you have a larger 285 or 295 on your 21’’x10.5’’ front Uberturbine pair lmk how that is working for you.

Thank you.
Lol, so your neighbor has the slimmer wheels all around while you get the fat ones! Lol does he know that he got the crap end of the stick yet?

Reactions: SpicyPaneer