Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance vs Jaguar iPace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The main problem with the ipace is that it is built by JLR. Ive owned a few vehicles from JLR, and without exception they have ALL had awful, awful electronics.

The in control pro system is simply riddled with bugs, and they take litteraly years to fix them, if ever.

Example, I have the new discovery - shortly being sold in favour of the model X.

The in car entertainment simply doesnt work very well. It adds more frustration than problems it solves. The rear seat entertainment should be a god send for two young children. It has digtal media storage and can also play from usb. But if you try to play the same film for both kids at the same time, you cant.

There isnt a "synchronise" button. Even after it has beena complaint from owners of the rear seat entertainment for over 2 years. What you have to do is play the film on one rear seat. Pause it, then start it playing on the other seat, flip back to the first one and then try and unpause it at exactly the right moment so both children can watch it at the same time. They have to wear headphones because you will never get it perfectly in sync.

If you finish watching a DVD and change the disc, it doesnt update and wont let you start playing the disc you just intserted until you have stopped the car and turned off the ignition for 5 minutes so it does a full shut down. Useless on long journeys with the kids.

Try accessing sat nav within 30 seconds of starting the car and it says "nav not available", and it wont be now until you turn the car off and let it reset. You have to wait for a minute before accessing any of the media systems or you risk them just saying "not available" for the duration of your trip.

The latest software was not available for cars with rear seat entertainment for over 18 months because if it was applied to those cars, it fried the rear seat stuff permanently.

Even though it is aware of the names of people in the phone book, the latest update no longer shows names of people calling and just the number.

My landrover decided it would just continually unlock itself fo no reason until the battery was flat. Took over a month for the dealer to fix, replacing the entire central locking system piece by piece.

Yes Jaguars and Range Rovers are nice places to sit, leather, wood, nice design. But their reliability and especially non engine electronics is awful, simply leagues below any other vehicle I have ever owned. I have no idea why I bought three of the damned things.

Now that they are also using electronics as a means of propulsion, I wouldnt touch them with somebody elses 10 ft barge pole.

I was tempted to lease an I-pace due to the fact that my lease on my truck is up in June and Tesla was going to release the Model Y in late 20/21, which did not fit my timeline at all. I previously owned an i3 and LOVED that car. I want to get back into an EV for the fun factor and the lack of maintenance. The iPace was the only EV that I would be available to fulfill my needs with AWD and +200 miles of range. However, as soon as I found out that the Y was ahead of schedule and that deliveries were to start in March, I placed my Order.

Though I think the Jag has superior off-road capabilities and is able to wade 20” of water, which is quite pertinente to me as I am currently in Houston and the slightest rain brings flooding which can easily hit that depth. If you read into the Jag development, you will discover that the drivetrain was developed between Jag and Land Rover for a future Land Rover EV in mind.

I also personally think the Jag is a nicer looking car, but as a couple of you have already started, Jaguar does not have a stellar reputation when it comes to electronics. I was only going to lease the I-pace due to Jaguar’s reputation of making less reliable products. I test drove one and drive wise, it’s a sweet car. I was not impressed with the infotainment system. I’ve never owned a Tesla so I can’t compare between the two.

The Model Y wins hands down in my book due to superior efficiency, battery tech and the Super Charger network and based off M3, superior reliability. Though I doubt it can even handle 20” of water, the Super Charger Network and battery tech are far more important to me. After doing my research on leases, the lease tesla offers on it’s products (especially M3) are not worth it in the end. So rather than lease, I will purchase the MY. I use the lease as a write off but believe it better value to write off the costs of the MY purchase and own it outright.

I watched I-PACE reviews and decided to get a test drive. Almost everyone has praised the car. Oddly enough almost no video mentioned the main problem I saw. Conclusion - do the homework, drive the car :)

I took the test drive of I-PACE. Highest trim. Nice car, the great finish of the interior, no paint issues, or misalignments. No crickets when you drive. Really great. Rear seats a bit a problem to get in/out, but manageable. The middle rear seat is pretty unusable due to not having a flat floor. Performance is fine - more than I need, no complaints. 2 motors, similar spec as Tesla (apart from battery and efficiency, but in real-world range test they are closer than on EPA paper). Great head-up display.

They offered a 20K discount. I think I could push for more. Nice trim is 83K. They will give it for 63K. -10K incentives (federal + state). 53K overall. Cheap lease price if you want to lease it.

But... Steering Assist - will disengage without any visual or audible warning - the small icon in the left corner will disappear and the car will stop steering inside the lane, you better to take control in subsecond to avoid a crash on narrow roads. The infotainment system is a bit slow. And a number of buttons all over is a bit overkill to me.

For me - this steering issue alone was a deal-breaker. I wanted the car to auto-steer, and if it is failing to do so, at least give me a warning. In I-PACE your warning will be when you will realize the car is going off the road...