Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Range Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got our new model Y

I doubt if we are getting 200 miles for 90% charge in city conditions. May be am doing something wrong

How can I check what is the mileage am getting on 90% change ?

RIght now what am seeing is 10% of battery change am getting only 10 to 15 miles

Set the battery indicator on the Display settings screen in the vehicle to display miles instead of % state of charge (SOC.) Then plug in to charge and use the phone app to adjust the charging limit to the 90% mark or all the way to the 100% mark. (The 90% mark is the maximum recommended charging limit for daily use.) The Tesla app will briefly display the estimated range for that charge level (this works for the 100% charge level setting, should work for the 90% setting as well.) Don't leave the charging threshold set to 100%, back it down to no more than 90% (many prefer to set this to 70% to 80% for daily use.

Another method is to set the battery display to % SOC. Then view the Energy screen; select the average energy in Wh/mi used over the last 15 or 30 miles. This will display your estimated remaining range in miles (at the far right of the graph.) If the remaining range is 190 miles and the battery SOC is showing 90% then divide 190 by 0.90 and you will get 211 miles. That is your remaining range. Your total estimated range would be 211 miles plus any miles you have driven since the last charge.

A third calculation requires that you know the total usable capacity of the battery in the vehicle. This will decrease as the battery ages but if new the usable capacity could be as much as 77/78 kWh when new if the vehicle has the latest 82kWh battery pack. View the energy displayed since the last charge on the odometer options on the left side of the main Tesla screen. Swipe right and then swipe up to see the Current Trip, Since Last Charge, Trip A or Trip B energy usage per mile. If the average Wh/mi figure is 250 then you are able to drive 4 miles per kWh. So take the total usable capacity of the battery (this could be as much as 78kWh) and multiply that by 0.90 for 70 kWh. Divide 70 kWh/. 250 and you get 280 miles. You could also compute 1 / the Wh/mi figure (in this case 1/.250 = 4 miles per kWh and multiply the usable battery capacity by 4 miles per kWh. 70 X 4 = 280 miles.

Any of these methods will get you close to the same number as far as estimated range based on a full battery charge or say a 90% battery charge.

Got our new model Y

I doubt if we are getting 200 miles for 90% charge in city conditions. May be am doing something wrong

How can I check what is the mileage am getting on 90% change ?

RIght now what am seeing is 10% of battery change am getting only 10 to 15 miles
What's your average Wh/mile or Wh/km to date? It's one of the clue on how efficient you drive.

Set the battery indicator on the Display settings screen in the vehicle to display miles instead of % state of charge (SOC.) Then plug in to charge and use the phone app to adjust the charging limit to the 90% mark or all the way to the 100% mark. (The 90% mark is the maximum recommended charging limit for daily use.) The Tesla app will briefly display the estimated range for that charge level (this works for the 100% charge level setting, should work for the 90% setting as well.) Don't leave the charging threshold set to 100%, back it down to no more than 90% (many prefer to set this to 70% to 80% for daily use.

Another method is to set the battery display to % SOC. Then view the Energy screen; select the average energy in Wh/mi used over the last 15 or 30 miles. This will display your estimated remaining range in miles (at the far right of the graph.) If the remaining range is 190 miles and the battery SOC is showing 90% then divide 190 by 0.90 and you will get 211 miles. That is your remaining range. Your total estimated range would be 211 miles plus any miles you have driven since the last charge.

A third calculation requires that you know the total usable capacity of the battery in the vehicle. This will decrease as the battery ages but if new the usable capacity could be as much as 77/78 kWh when new if the vehicle has the latest 82kWh battery pack. View the energy displayed since the last charge on the odometer options on the left side of the main Tesla screen. Swipe right and then swipe up to see the Current Trip, Since Last Charge, Trip A or Trip B energy usage per mile. If the average Wh/mi figure is 250 then you are able to drive 4 miles per kWh. So take the total usable capacity of the battery (this could be as much as 78kWh) and multiply that by 0.90 for 70 kWh. Divide 70 kWh/. 250 and you get 280 miles. You could also compute 1 / the Wh/mi figure (in this case 1/.250 = 4 miles per kWh and multiply the usable battery capacity by 4 miles per kWh. 70 X 4 = 280 miles.

Any of these methods will get you close to the same number as far as estimated range based on a full battery charge or say a 90% battery charge.
Thank you for 49% battery it shows 160 miles when I changed to display miles

The range reported on the dash is just a guess and does not represent what you can expect after considering how you drive, weather conditions, etc. As mentioned already, the best way to understand how much range you can expect is by factoring in your average rate of consumption and do the math.

You can view your lifetime average consumption by swiping right (if memory serves) on the ellipsis under the MY picture until you see energy consumption. Once you reach the consumption column, you then swipe up until you find the lifetime average consumption.

That is really good; if the battery was fully charged the battery display should read 326 miles (the EPA estimate of the combined range of the Tesla Long Range Model Y.) 160 miles / 0.49 = 326 miles

It makes me cringe when we refer to this number as being 'really good.' Suggesting that this number is either good or bad is very misleading as it is almost meaningless and should never be used to evaluate.. anything.

It makes me cringe when we refer to this number as being 'really good.' Suggesting that this number is either good or bad is very misleading as it is almost meaningless and should never be used to evaluate.. anything.
Ok. Then if not good (or bad) then how about reassuring? Meanwhile, my 2020 Long Range Model Y with less than 4k miles, one year old, with the smaller 77kWh battery is currently showing an estimated capacity of ~66kWh and a total range of something around 260 miles.

where can i see this info ?
It's part of the trip odometer. It's the number on the right. The lower it is, the more efficient. Below is mine after 5200 miles.
1623719237335.png

Ok. Then if not good (or bad) then how about reassuring? Meanwhile, my 2020 Long Range Model Y with less than 4k miles, one year old, with the smaller 77kWh battery is currently showing an estimated capacity of ~66kWh and a total range of something around 260 miles.

‘Reassuring’ is better, but even that still implies that this number holds some weight when evaluating range, which I argue it does not.

Lithium batteries simply do not degrade at this rate, unless exposed to some outside influence (extended high temp exposure, extreme deep discharge without immediate recharging, spending the majority of its life at a full charge, etc). Chances are that if your MY has not experienced any of these situations, your battery is as good as new and has more available capacity than it thinks.

Last edited:
Reactions: mark95476
Guess 'o Meter (GoM) "thinks" or pulled this number out of the hat. ;)

‘Reassuring’ is better, but even that still implies that this number holds some weight when evaluating range, which I argue it does not.

Lithium batteries simply do not degrade at this rate, unless exposed to some outside influence (extended high temp exposure, extreme deep discharge without immediate recharging, spending the majority of its life at a full charge, etc). Chances are that if your MY has not experienced any of these situations, your battery is as good as new and has more available capacity than it thinks.

Reactions: silverstoned83
I never cared to look until these threads came up.

Now seeing ~150 mi at 50% charge estimated on my MYLR one year old.

Now I have started to care and trying to unlearn these estimated range numbers.
Good call. Save yourself the stress and focus on enjoying your awesome ride. The best way to begin doing so is by changing the display so that it shows percent instead of miles. Everyone should do this now and just forget about what the Guess O Meter thinks it has available in terms of range/capacity. You have to find out for yourself in order to understand the true max range potential while also considering how the driving conditions can massively influence the result for any EV. I’ve had both available to see on my i3’s dash for over 3 years, and I‘ve learned to only care about the percentage.. but I have no control over what it displays in this regard.

Last edited: