Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Model Y Receives Another $500 Price Increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla has increased the price of the Tesla Model Y Long Range AWD for the second time this month.

The latest increase of $500 brings the price of the base model to $52,990. The same vehicle was priced at $50,000 a few months ago.

While the price of the base Model Y has continued to increase, the base Model 3 price did not increase. Chief Executive Elon Musk has explained that major supply chain issues are causing price increases.

Certain variants of the Model 3 and Model Y received price reductions in February and early March, then the price of the Model 3 increased in late March. Another three increases for Model 3 and Model Y have occurred since.

While it’s understandable that the Covid-19 pandemic has impacted many industry’s, a part of Tesla’s mission has been to make electric vehicles affordable enough to appeal to the masses. Hopefully, the company can correct the issue to help bring those base model prices to a range that can appeal to a broader set of consumers.

Last edited by a moderator:
If these price increases keep going, the ROI relative to a gas vehicle is going to diminish. I have a hybrid Rav4 and even an increase of gas price to $6/gl is not going to impact me that much on the long run. Considering the EV gain has to overcome the cost of a Tesla vs. an already paid off hybrid.

Reactions: YBLee
If these price increases keep going, the ROI relative to a gas vehicle is going to diminish. I have a hybrid Rav4 and even an increase of gas price to $6/gl is not going to impact me that much on the long run. Considering the EV gain has to overcome the cost of a Tesla vs. an already paid off hybrid.
It also depends on the enjoyment of driving. I was on spending more for a Tesla because it is enjoyable to own/drive. I don’t consider a Rav 4 fun to drive.

This is like the first car I've bought where it's somehow appreciating after coming off the truck
Well, actually your car isn't appreciating after you bought it, but I guess you know that, and entertaining us :) But having said that, it is interesting to note that all types of 2nd hand cars are going for a bit more money in recent months. Perhaps that is what you mean.

Well, actually your car isn't appreciating after you bought it, but I guess you know that, and entertaining us :) But having said that, it is interesting to note that all types of 2nd hand cars are going for a bit more money in recent months. Perhaps that is what you mean.
A bit more, my Tacoma sold last month for what I paid for it new in 2016.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Sounds like you might have bought it as a 2nd hand car for that to happen. Great that you got some extra greenbacks

Several guys I work with have sold 1 year old low mileage pickup trucks for what they paid for them new... combination of inflation and chip shortage for new cars has driven the price of "almost new" used cars through the roof. It hasn't really effected my 17 year old 170,000 mile ICE car though :)

Keith

• Helpful
Hehe yes, I actually made a nice little profit on my lease I decided to buy and sell ( not much, but a few bucks bc I didnt have to py for the deposition fee + a big scratch), so maybe I made like 1-2 K but that went towards my new ride