Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y ride comfort?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't get the extreme critics. Yes, the suspension is harsh but it's nowhere near uncomfortable. I have driven many cars, my current is a S (2016, no air suspension), Lexus RX350 and ES350. I also drive my mother's Honda CRV and sister's Honda Accord. I'd say that the Lexuses are definitely way smoother but the Y is on par with the Hondas. It also feels the same as my old Acura RDX. I like the smooth drive so I'll change the suspension to MPP and we'll see if there's any noticeable difference.

dragonvn: I understand your point, but there are certain upscale (ahem) neighborhoods in the DFW region that have decades old uneven concrete slag road surfaces. The MY LR is absolutely brutal on these roads.

I'm surprised these neighborhoods aren't all driving 60s vintage Citroen sedans...SMOOOTH...

I agree @dragonvn I do not understand the harsh critics either. My VIN is 002458 and yes the suspension is not great but it’s by no means a deal breaker. I’m coming from a Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk and used to take the local dirt roads at 40 MPH after they’d been carpet-bombed by winter... and while I definitely don’t do that anymore—can’t—I regret nothing about the purchase. Do I wish I had air suspension? Yup. Would I pay extra for it? Yup. Is this still my favorite car I’ve ever owned? Yup.

I think that at minimum the Tesla Y should have adaptive suspension. That is a lot cheaper than air suspension and would give you the option of comfort or sport settings. Tesla needs to add a few things to stay competitive. Heated Steering wheels, heads up display, ventilated seats, Apple Carplay and Android auto to mention a few.

Having just within the last week transitioned from a 3 to a Y I can say without a doubt the driving dynamics are very different that is for sure, I agree that the Y rides much stiffer than the 3 and handles more like a SUV that weights an extra 400lbs and riding up higher doesn't help. I too have ordered a set of DFV's for my Y that I think will help dramatically.

I just purchased in mid-Feb and I don't find the ride to be that bad at all. I come from a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4. Could it be better, sure. Is it by any means a deal breaker for me, absolutely not. This is an incredible piece of EV tech and I love it.

Maybe I'm still in the honeymoon phase lol

I just purchased in mid-Feb and I don't find the ride to be that bad at all. I come from a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4. Could it be better, sure. Is it by any means a deal breaker for me, absolutely not. This is an incredible piece of EV tech and I love it.

Maybe I'm still in the honeymoon phase lol

how do you like it overall compared to your Jeep? If I get the Y it will be replacing a 2012 GC.

Ride "comfort" is regionally dependent. NYC vs. rural FL vs rural MT vs. rural VA. ALL different road surfaces and maintenance.

When I lived in Arlington, VA, I was always surprised how different my cars felt when I crossed over into Maryland. Than, going from MD to PA, Highway 15, the first mile in PA was always excellent, then broken up concrete. My Bilstein equipped Audis were NOT happy there.

I think that at minimum the Tesla Y should have adaptive suspension. That is a lot cheaper than air suspension and would give you the option of comfort or sport settings. Tesla needs to add a few things to stay competitive. Heated Steering wheels, heads up display, ventilated seats, Apple Carplay and Android auto to mention a few.
The 2021 Model 3, Model Y have a heated steering wheel.

Reactions: skiwhmts
Old Lexus's were floaty but recent Lexus's have AVS Adaptive Variable Suspension. You can determine how stiff or soft you want or have it do it for you. This system has been around the last few years and is bulletproof. All the other luxury makes have a similar or equivalent system.

The 2021 Model 3, Model Y have a heated steering wheel.
Um, yeah, not exactly. Depends on which VIN range you get matched to. With any other car manufacturer, you'd be right, as most manufacturers include all the same features on all cars produced within the same model year. Tesla likes to be "extra" and change up the included features multiple times within the same production model year. You can order a 2021 MYLR and get a certain set of included features, and someone else can order the exact same car two weeks later and get a whole slew of updated/upgraded features for the exact same price. Doesn't make any sense, and obviously pisses off a lot of Tesla owners who clicked the "Submit" button on their orders just a few days too early!

Reactions: skiwhmts
Um, yeah, not exactly. Depends on which VIN range you get matched to. With any other car manufacturer, you'd be right, as most manufacturers include all the same features on all cars produced within the same model year. Tesla likes to be "extra" and change up the included features multiple times within the same production model year. You can order a 2021 MYLR and get a certain set of included features, and someone else can order the exact same car two weeks later and get a whole slew of updated/upgraded features for the exact same price. Doesn't make any sense, and obviously pisses off a lot of Tesla owners who clicked the "Submit" button on their orders just a few days too early!
I was responding to skiwhtmts's post that implied that Tesla did not offer a heater steering wheel on the Model Y. VIN range aside, in the US Tesla has been shipping Model 3, Model Y with the heated steering wheel since late December '20, early January '21. Any orders placed in March 2021 or later will have the heated steering wheel.

I thought my 2021 MY was a little bit to firm and discovered the cold tire pressures were 43psi all around. For local driving, I reduced the pressures to 40psi and seems much less firm riding. I may even experiment with 38 or 39 psi. Of course with longer road trips where range is more of an issue, I’ll bump them back to 42.