Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y road trip experience with FSD 12.3.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently took my Model Y from DC to the OBX, a little over 320 miles each way. I encountered a few things with FSD 12 .3.6 and routing that could have been better. First I started off with a 100% charge with 329 miles estimated. When I set my destination in the Nav, it had me charging at a Supercharger just south of DC with 77% battery remaining on arrival! That makes absolutely no sense when there are plenty of other opportunities along the way. I ignored it and hand picked a different one south of Norfolk Next, leaving DC, I was going from Clara Barton onto I-495 (south/outer loop) which had stop and go traffic. There was a long line onto the I-495 ramp about half a mile long and barely moving in the right lane. The left lane was open and a few cars went by with about 60 mph going north. The cars were literally bumper to bumper in my lane and barely moving, even stopping for 10-15 seconds at times. The FSD display showed the car in front of me but then did not show the next 3-4 cars and then displayed cars ahead with a large gap. So what happened was that FSD tried to pull out onto the left lane where cars were going by with a 50 mph delta to us. Not only was this super dangerous but also a complete jerk move if I even would have had a chance to get back in line later. Most likely, it would have missed the turn and cost me another 30+ minutes detour. Luckily I was expecting that move and stopped it from happening but it made me think how such situation will be trained with the AI. Later in the express lanes south of DC on 95 it was not able to read the digital speed signs that are mounted up high across the lanes. The speed was 65mph but the last sign it read (which was actually from an exit ramp) was 45 mph. Then later on the Outer Banks it did 49 in a 35 which I think is not acceptable either. The last thing to note was that I got many many "One or more side cameras occluded" when driving at night on I-95 but other than the chime becoming annoying the car was behaving fine. When I got back home, I check all cameras but could not find any dirt and the lenses looked clean.
However, I was happy with the overall performance considering the whole trip. Much better than without FSD. Btw, mine is HW4.

I just took Red Ryder from Boca Raton to Tuscaloosa to Asheville back to Boca. My experience with this version of FSD is:

I turned on Minimal Lane Changes for each drive because for some reason it often wanted to stay in the passing lane

I turned off Auto Max as it goes way too fast on non inter state roads and highways

It adjusted the speed to 45 mph when it saw "Minimum Speed 45" signs in Georgia

Several times it wanted to stop to charge long before necessary (as OP states above)

In rainy conditions it said FSD was degraded. This cleared up when no longer raining

Other than the above it was pretty good. I will buy it the next time I go on a long road trip.

The last thing to note was that I got many many "One or more side cameras occluded" when driving at night on I-95 but other than the chime becoming annoying the car was behaving fine. When I got back home, I check all cameras but could not find any dirt and the lenses looked clean.
I recommend you reboot your main display computer.
You do this by pressing both scroll wheels until the screen goes blank. A few minutes later, a Tesla "T" appears on the screen, then, a bit later, the screen comes back to life. This tends to reset little software glitches that may be developing over time causing strange, intermittent issues as you've experienced.
Do this while parked in a safe place, not while driving.