Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Roof flew off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Officially confirmed
- Family from California
- Gave car back at Dublin, CA Tesla locationfew hours after taking delivery
- Tesla told them they will service the car
They told Tesla to keep it.

“On Monday, Walter Chien said that he spoke with a Tesla representative, who said that "everything was done correctly" when manufacturing the car. "To me, that was more concerning," Chien told Business Insider.”

Lol.....everything was done correctly in Manufacturing of this $60,000 car.

Tesla fan boys to defence now!!

'I looked up and the roof was gone': California family says they were driving their new Tesla Model Y home from the dealership when the roof blew clear off
So whoever said "within spec" wasn't just clowning :p

I swear Tesla's "customer service" has got to be a prank sometimes.

For a laugh, see the comical thread about it on the "official" Tesla owned Model Y forum:
Watch your roof

As expected, the fanbois quickly came to Tesla's defense using most of the canned replies I posted back on page two (Model Y Roof flew off) then finally stooping down to name calling, personal attacks, etc.. in every effort to get the thread closed or better yet completely deleted.
Same old song over and over again.. defend Tesla at any cost!! ....sad

Last edited:
If it were an anomaly I would be skeptical.

Off the top of my head I’ve seen a missing model Y suspension bolt, a single unmatched model 3 door (white interior door, black car), several horridly color matched new model 3s (white paint), unattached model 3 steering wheel (maybe multiple), the poorly secured model y cooling systems, about a million panel gaps, misaligned trunks/frunks, bumpers that fall off in the rain, suspension creaks, driveshaft pop sounds, paint defects, scraped headliners and interior panels, etc. etc. etc.

4hng56.jpg

I feel like that quote has to be out of context.
One would hope so, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they actually said that. My loose driver seat that creaks and shakes around (after just a few months of ownership) is apparently "within spec". Here I thought a properly bolted together seat frame was important, especially for the driver, but clearly I'm an ignoramus!

The one thing I loathed about possibly owning a Tesla is the Fandom that I have watched and read about for years. I didn't want to become a member of Tesla Fanboy Mafia. I understand being excited about the brand, but the blind loyalty turned me off. I consider myself brand agnostic. I am not brand loyal and I realize all makes/models have their issues. What I have never experienced with any other brand is the fanboy blind loyalty that results in personal attacks that are baseless, just to defend the Tesla brand.

Anyway, I still have my MY order on hold. I'm sure the fanboys are wanting to tell me to go buy an Audi/BMW/Mercedes/Toyota/Honda et al since my standards are probably too high. I'm supposed to forgive poor workmanship in order to get the awesome battery tech, right? I can't have both at this time in Telsa's growth, that much seems apparent to me.

I'd be forgiving of some of the shoddy workmanship and quality if I had confidence the service centers would correct the issues, but there sure are a lot of worrisome stories of things being Within Spec that just don't look acceptable.

You would think the Dept of Transportation would investigate things like that. If something like a bed mattress flies out of the back of a pickup truck the driver of the pickup truck is responsible and held liable for damages it might have caused, at least in my state. I love my Tesla and hope it doesn't take a life to realize how dangerous their lack of QC really is.

I can see all the lawyers in their neighborhood circling the wagon already. It won't be easy for Tesla to slip out of this one. Burden of proof on build negligence falls on them!
Who you kidding, they gonna say they hit a pothole and it caused the roof to crack and fly off just like they blame people for the fabric under the car ripping when multiple people including myself know its from rain. just like they try to blame people when the bumpers fall off the car etc.

Reactions: Hrtme
This just becomes part of the evidence that Tesla STILL hasn't got any real handle on quality control. One has to assume that the glass panels were placed on the roof, but not glued. Not sure how that could happen. But it's just part of how S--- seems to happen with these cars because there is no checking for errors at the factory. Like the time a front suspension tie rod had no nut on it.

Officially confirmed
- Family from California
- Gave car back at Dublin, CA Tesla locationfew hours after taking delivery
- Tesla told them they will service the car
They told Tesla to keep it.

“On Monday, Walter Chien said that he spoke with a Tesla representative, who said that "everything was done correctly" when manufacturing the car. "To me, that was more concerning," Chien told Business Insider.”

Lol.....everything was done correctly in Manufacturing of this $60,000 car.

Tesla fan boys to defence now!!

'I looked up and the roof was gone': California family says they were driving their new Tesla Model Y home from the dealership when the roof blew clear off

Defense.

• Funny
Reactions: AdamMacDon