Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Snow Tires Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a question if somebody knows the difference between Hakka's R3 and R3 SUV. Their website lists both for MYLR and both seems to have the same weight rating (2000lbs). Speed rating is slightly different (T for R3 vs R for R3 SUV). Also R3 SUV seems to have aramid sidewalls. R3 SUV is probably more sturdy but I am not planning to go off-roading or on mountain tracks and I am concerned if there is a sacrifice of handling and noise level if going R3 SUV. I had R3 SUV on MX before and cannot say they are the most silent or the best for wet/slushy city roads. Has somebody had any experience with R3 (not SUV)?

Last edited:
Tire Rack:

TSportline:

You can also "make" your own package buy purchasing some Gemini takeoffs locally (Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, etc) and having your local tire shop install winter tires on them.

Tire Rack:

TSportline:

You can also "make" your own package buy purchasing some Gemini takeoffs locally (Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, etc) and having your local tire shop install winter tires on them.
Tire rack was my first option but Tire rack package does not include the tire pressure sensor for some reason.

Probably. Too many hustle without TPMS sensors, I'd rather wait for Tesla tires.
I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a package from TSportline. You could also check the "Tesla Parts For Sale" part of this forum:

I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a package from TSportline. You could also check the "Tesla Parts For Sale" part of this forum:
I purchased a set recently from TSportline as Tesla has been out for some time. Tires were packed extremely well for shipping. Now I just need the car... Have used Michelin X-ICE on two other vehicles and they work extremely well in snow/ice and also wear well for winter tires.

I got ours from Discount tires (Nokian R3 and 19" Rims), purchased the TPMS myself from Tesla. Delivered the TPMS to Discount tires and they had everything ready. One week total time
I got ours from Discount tires (Nokian R3 and 19" Rims), purchased the TPMS myself from Tesla. Delivered the TPMS to Discount tires and they had everything ready. One week total time
How much did that cost you in total?

Reactions: sparty96
I've used Vredestein tires in some form or another for a number of years and they're absolute quality IMO. Had the Wintrac Pros on a 5 series, and they were overkill for Chicago winters (which says a lot, I think). I've used the Quatrac Pros since - have 20" all-seasons on the wife's GLB AMG, and just bought a set of 19" Quatrac Pros (and TSW wheels) from TireRack for the upcoming MYP to use during the winter. The Quatrac Pros are rated for severe snow if needed, but drive great on dry roads as well - not too noisy, very grippy and actually improved fuel economy over the OEM summer run-flats that came with the GLB.
Interestingly, TireRack sources the TPMS from Tesla directly (backordered until 10/7) and has them installed during mounting/balancing. Thanks to Jaenonymous for the tip. Will be using TireRack's at home mobile service to have the wheel swapped/installed once the car gets here.

I went with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 255X45X19XL from Costco, bought a set of TPMS sensors direct from Tesla, and a set of inexpensive 19X8.5 wheels from Discount Tires who put it all together. Needed some matching lug nuts and hub adapters so I can swap out whenever I get around to it. Using 8.5 inch wheels really helps with the curb rash issues compared to the OEM 9.5". Nice tire.

Last edited: