Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y spare tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pianewman

2021 MYLR VIN 88,XXX, Rd/Wh, 12/20 delivery
Supporting Member
Oct 28, 2020
Fort Worth
New member, can't find a search button.

Awaiting delivery of a 2021 MY. I'm thinking ahead, and am aware of the "emergency" tire patching problems: IF the tires have the sound deadening foam, the dreaded (only for an emergency) OEM tire sealant doesn't work, as it can't get through the foam to the puncture.

All that said, has anyone purchased/mounted the Modern Spare tire kit? I eyeballed a Y at the showroom yesterday, and it looks like the spare tire, in it's bag, might fit (secured) on either side of the hatch area? I'm also wondering if the wells below the floor could be modified to accept the spare, lying (almost) flate.

I'm also wondering if the wells below the floor could be modified to accept the spare, lying (almost) flate.

I would be curious to know if a spare could fit under the floor?

img_2044-jpg.594574

Watts up: Thanks for the photo of the exposed cross brace. I simply eyeballed the well, thinking the spare might fit, and lean on that brace. I won't know until I take delivery, remove the liner, and take measurements.

I'm now thinking that Tesla would probably have this figured out if it were possible.

I would be curious to know if a spare could fit under the floor?

img_2044-jpg.594574
It wont fit. The opening might be wide enough, but not deep enough (front-back), because of the divider in the middle. I didn't remove the floor to see, but when I put the spare in my trunk, it occupied the whole 1st (deep) compartment and went over and partially occupied the 2nd (shallow) compartment too.

Thanks, JCLee. So, it leaned forward over the steel divider? How much higher than the floor did it extend? Sounds like it would create quite a bulge if the floor were modified to accommodate it.

Thanks, JCLee. So, it leaned forward over the steel divider? How much higher than the floor did it extend? Sounds like it would create quite a bulge if the floor were modified to accommodate it.

I didn't try to put it under the trunk floor. The spare tire was much bigger than I imagined, and it will be much bigger than whatever you are imagining. Remember that the modern spare is much bigger than typical spare. Unless you use a more traditional spare tire (not sure if you can get one from a different vendor), there's no way to put it under the trunk floor. See the pictures below - that's how I carry them, and if I know I need the whole trunk space, especially the flat floor, then I just remove the spare tire from the trunk.

IMG_0567.jpg

I didn't try to put it under the trunk floor. The spare tire was much bigger than I imagined, and it will be much bigger than whatever you are imagining. Remember that the modern spare is much bigger than typical spare. Unless you use a more traditional spare tire (not sure if you can get one from a different vendor), there's no way to put it under the trunk floor. See the pictures below - that's how I carry them, and if I know I need the whole trunk space, especially the flat floor, then I just remove the spare tire from the trunk.

View attachment 609217
What about putting the spare vertically in the second sub-trunk, after removing the whole trunk cover to use as much as possible the space available?

In another thread I stated that a Modern Spare saved me even though it was at my house. I had a sidewall blowout and Tesla mobile service gave me a loaner which I used to drive home and I had AAA swap it for the modern Spare so Tesla could take the loaner back.

Here are photos taken from other threads which shows storage in the rear — NOT my photos. I am seriously thinking about cutting that hole in the forward cover so the spare drops into the well.
FCEF15CA-A0D9-477A-A1D0-72A160DBD47D.jpeg
C92816D5-047D-495E-A69C-4B966D5B28C9.jpeg
12186ECA-5112-46CB-8C79-EAC372AB12F0.jpeg

...not quite as bad as strapping it to the roof, but still, even with the ModernSpare cover, it looks a little low-life.

@Pianewman unfortunately I have to agree that this looks pretty awful. When I get my MY, it will be my first vehicle without an integrated spare from the factory. I guess all the extra storage is nice, but it does make it awkward if you want to procure your own and carry it somehow.

Reactions: positiv and ArtK
I spent several months carefully reading about purchasing spares from other vehicles, noted that the tires' ratings were often inadequate, maximal speed might be reduced, that I might have interference from a nut on the brake housing or an asymmetrical diameter. All that, and they weren't terribly cheap.
I chose to purchase the Modern Spare spare tire set, which includes a scissor jack, ratchet to raise and lower it, an extendable tool to remove and install lug nuts, and a cushioned vinyl bag to store them in. The wheel and spare tire appear to be of very good quality, and there is still plenty of room for storage in the trunk.
In essence, I now have the peace of mind that comes with knowing that, in the unlikely event of a flat, I won't be stranded or overly dependant on cell phone coverage or Tesla's roadside service. For me, that is priceless.

Last edited:
Unrelated but is the portion between the rear seats and lower trunk shelf a cover too with a shelf with a small lip??? Is this some mod? I am in bed and will check tomorrow but would be interesting if someone explains if this is oem.

Has anyone done a hitch-mounted spare that the hatch can clear?
I measured the approximate hatch lip distance from the edge of the bottom weather seal when the hatch is opening/closing. Any hitch mount for a spare tire or a bike rack will need at least 12 inches of clearance (13 inches to be safe) to ensure that the hatch can open without contacting the hitch. A spare tire hitch mount would have to be able to tilt down or swing away to be practical.

I measured the approximate hatch lip distance from the edge of the bottom weather seal when the hatch is opening/closing. Any hitch mount for a spare tire or a bike rack will need at least 12 inches of clearance (13 inches to be safe) to ensure that the hatch can open without contacting the hitch. A spare tire hitch mount would have to be able to tilt down or swing away to be practical.
Bummer. Thanks for the info. Good to know for my hitch-mounted bike rack, as well.

I just wish the rear underfloor storage was re-arranged. I don't want to be going under the floor board so often. The sinkholes on the sides of the rear seem awkward as well. I'd trade all that for even a donut spare.

Changing a tire could/should take 15 minutes. Who knows how long road-side assistance can take? ...especially if remote/off-road.