Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Spare Tire - I Have a few Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just ordered the StanceMagic Complete Spare Wheel and Tire for Tesla Model Y from Amazon while it is in stock. I will be taking at least one road trip this summer and want to have a spare kit to take on trips.
Curious as to why you chose this option over the Modern Spare? Like you I take long road trips, 2-3 times per year, and bought the Modern Spare recently just in case. I just returned from a 2700 mile trip through CA with the Modern Spare packed behind the drivers seat - I'll only carry it on trips and thankfully didn't need it.

Curious as to why you chose this option over the Modern Spare? Like you I take long road trips, 2-3 times per year, and bought the Modern Spare recently just in case. I just returned from a 2700 mile trip through CA with the Modern Spare packed behind the drivers seat - I'll only carry it on trips and thankfully didn't need it.
Price and the scissor jack has a built-in adapter with post to fit the lift point hole on the Tesla Model Y.

Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
Interesting; " .....properly fitting holes..." have you found that the holes in the modern spare are not properly fitting? That would negate the benefit of the universal holes and perhaps make them not quite right for several wheel types😱 but probably not.
I believe you are reading too much into the statement. Universal holes work fine. I rotate tires on all my vehicles myself and when mounting a tire and wheel onto the studs it is easier to have one bolt pattern. This is especially true for my heavy truck tires. I bought some wheels some years ago that had a couple of mounting options and they were more difficult to line up properly on the studs. For a spare this probably would not be much of an issue unless I was changing a tire in a tight place on the road especially at night.

We all have our own preferences. If you prefer Modern go for it. I just hope neither of us have to use the spare tire regardless of brand.

I have the Modern Spare. It sits between the front and rear passenger seats and no, it won't fit if the rear is folded down.
For what it's worth, I have placed it there too and find it will fit with the rear seat folded down. Depends on where you put the front seat (i.e. not all the way back).

I generally leave both the back seats down to carry things. My Modern Spare sits behind the driver's seat with padding to keep it from flopping around. The ability to do this may depend on how tall a person you are and your adjusted seat depth.

Recently I have read posts on TMC stating that jack pads (lift pads) purchased on Amazon do not fit the lift point guide holes in the Austin built 2023 Tesla Model Y. The diameter of the guide hole of the lift point now has a smaller diameter (no measurement provided).

Jack pads for new model Y from Austin built

The post on the StanceMagic scissor jack Tesla adapter measures approximately 22mm wide by 20mm high. I compared these measurements with my 3 year old Reverse Logic low profile lift pad. The Reverse Logic post measures 22mm wide by 16mm deep (~1/4 inch shorter). Hope this helps when determining if the StanceMagic scissor jack will fit your Tesla Model Y.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I have placed it there too and find it will fit with the rear seat folded down. Depends on where you put the front seat (i.e. not all the way back).

I generally leave both the back seats down to carry things. My Modern Spare sits behind the driver's seat with padding to keep it from flopping around. The ability to do this may depend on how tall a person you are and your adjusted seat depth.
Is it sitting "on" the back of your center console? Or pressing against it with a lot of force?

In my MYP, I notice that it doesn't quite fit between the back of the center console and the door. So, with the rear seat up, it doesn't have to sit directly between the console and the door, though it can roll across if I don't have something to chock it. And when the seat is folded down, the head rest forces the spare to line up with the console. So, as soon as I try to close the door, it shoves against the console. And I don't like that.

Maybe you took off the headrest? Sure, I can do that too. I just prefer to avoid fussing with the headrest as much as possible (I'm lazy).

But for now, I don't have a reason to keep the seat folded down anyway. It's a tad better NOT to fold down the rear seats, as it keeps the crates in the cargo area from sliding around too much. When I had the HR-V, I used the folded seat area for the crates to do deliveries, I'll have a few more crates with non-delivery stuff further in the cargo area to avoid having all the crates move around. But with the MYP and the powered hatch, it's easier to use the cargo area (I've banged my head a few times reaching to grab stuff with the HR-V).

I put stuff in the back all the time so seats down make sense for me.

It is slightly "loose" in the back, why I have a pillow or two and blanket kicking around to help stabilize it (and for padding if I'm hauling anything).

The only headrest I have removed is the one on the front passenger's seat so I could transport lumber, 8' roofing panels, or an inflated SUP. The headrest is currently in place but not so tightly that it can't be removed if needed.

I will try to remember to take a pic tomorrow to show the seat down positioning. I do not believe it is jammed against the console.

Is it sitting "on" the back of your center console? Or pressing against it with a lot of force?
This is what I mean when I say there is a lot of room around it. For me there is space between the console and tire. 5 seat 2020 model Y. I am likely shorter than you are giving me more room behind the driver's seat.

modern_spare_modelY.jpg

pontelaspilas, you can contact Modern Spare to find out more about the tire:

(I know there have been improvements to scissors jacks, but there's a reason they were nicknamed "widow makers," They make me nervous, especially having to use one on the side of the road, uneven grade, gravel/stone surface, etc. I suppose a portable hydraulic jack could have a spontaneous pressure blowout and collapse, Everything has a risk.)
(Excuse me, I need to run outside and check to make sure the sky isn't falling...)

This is what I mean when I say there is a lot of room around it. For me there is space between the console and tire. 5 seat 2020 model Y. I am likely shorter than you are giving me more room behind the driver's seat.

<pic removed>

You must be short. I don't have anywhere near that room. I have easy entry move my seat up otherwise the rear headrest wacks the back of the driver's seat when it's lowered. Just went out to measure it and with the seat moved up I have exactly 2" from the top of the headrest to the back of the seat.

I don't keep the Modern Spare in the car locally, but for trips I just have the seats down and the Modern Spare lying there. Plenty of room for suitcases etc for the trip.

I keep the compressor, air gauge etc on the rear passenger floor for quick access.

But if I had to it do all over, I'd have gotten the 19" wheels and ditched them for a set of TSportline wheels that look similar to the 20" inductions. I'd have also gotten a 5th matching rim for a spare.

View attachment 943484

Speaking of short… you didn’t quote the whole message… which included mentioning removing the headrest. Pretty sure that mattered far more than our height. Especially considering I put the spare behind the passenger seat, not the driver‘s seat.

While searching for a Tesla spare, I was reminded that there are hub centric wheels and lug centric wheels. Here's an excellent explanation:

While they are different, it’s only with ideal parts where the hub face is more conical than straight. When it’s straight, it needs a slight gap, otherwise it gets really difficult to mount the wheel, since you’d have to go in perfectly straight. The bigger the gap, the easier. And conversely, the tighter, the harder. And with a gap, it means it’s not truly hub-centric anymore. It seems like a minor thing, but it’s actually too easy to make the wheel just off center enough to vibrate at high speed if you start torquing down.

What I usually do, when mounting my wheels in any car I’ve driven, including “hub-centric“ Hondas, is that as I hand tighten each lug nut, I keep hitting the tire to make it move around. Once I’ve gone through all the lugs (star pattern, of course), then I repeat then whole thing applying a little pressure with the wrench, then I torque it down.

Its the only way I’ve managed to get rid of any vibration (haven’t had any bad tire on wheel mounts, just wheel on hub).

The real advantage I’ve found from a “hub-centric” wheels is that it’s easier to rest the wheel when starting to put the lugs on. It rests on the hub, instead of a
lug bolt. But that’s about it.

Last edited:
Speaking of short… you didn’t quote the whole message… which included mentioning removing the headrest. Pretty sure that mattered far more than our height. Especially considering I put the spare behind the passenger seat, not the driver‘s seat.

While they are different, it’s only with ideal parts where the hub face is more conical than straight. When it’s straight, it needs a slight gap, otherwise it gets really difficult to mount the wheel, since you’d have to go in perfectly straight. The bigger the gap, the easier. And conversely, the tighter, the harder. And with a gap, it means it’s not truly hub-centric anymore. It seems like a minor thing, but it’s actually too easy to make the wheel just off center enough to vibrate at high speed if you start torquing down.

What I usually do, when mounting my wheels in any car I’ve driven, including “hub-centric“ Hondas, is that as I hand tighten each lug nut, I keep hitting the tire to make it move around. Once I’ve gone through all the lugs (star pattern, of course), then I repeat then whole thing applying a little pressure with the wrench, then I torque it down.

Its the only way I’ve managed to get rid of any vibration (haven’t had any bad tire on wheel mounts, just wheel on hub).
@Z_Lynx said in post No Spare Tire - I Have a few Questions that he didn't remove the head rest and you can see it in his pic.

I just found out that there is no spare, and no good and easy place to store one either. It's a little worrisome for me, but I think we will be able to work around it.
I searched and read a lot on it, like this thread for example, but still have a few questions left:

1) is Modern Spare still the preferred option to get here, and the smallest with the 145/85R18 tire?
2) What is the diameter of the 19" OEM wheel / tire?
3) Has anybody tried places like LesSchwab or Discount Tire, to see if they can get you an even smaller tire and wheel combo? Like a 135/80R18?
4) For a longer trip, could a spare be stored behind the passenger seat, wit the rear seats folded down flat?

Thanks a lot for any help with this!
Personally I keep a tire plug kit and a compressor in the car. I have used it a few times even for other cars with a problem. My last two cars did not have a spare either. 300,000+ miles and has not been an issue.

Reactions: Dennisis
I have a plug kit and a compressor as well. I've never done a plug so it's last resort. First is the tire store if I can make, 2nd is the modern spare and 3 is baking in the sun trying to figure out how to do a plug fix.

dhrivnak: Glad you've gone 300k miles w/o a blowout. We've had two in TX in the past 4 years, on perfectly maintained tires with plenty of tread. No plug kit would have helped.

spokey: If you've never done a plug, you'd better figure out a way to "rehearse" it. It's not for the faint of heart...or weak arms. It takes a good bit of hand strength to get the plug in, even with the wheel/tire off the car. Doing it while the the wheel/tire is ON the car is a challenge that I wager most able bodied humans can NOT do!

Yes, I did not remove the headrest to transport the spare though that might make life easier. I also happen to think the headrest helps to stabilize it so there are benefits to leaving it on.

Note the driver side passenger seat headrest is attached, tucked into the wheel.

modern_spare_modelY-2.jpg

I take this spare with me everywhere. I've struck up several random conversations in the Costco parking lot. One person wondered if there was enough headroom (had ridden in a model 3 but not in a Y). He sat in my car, adjusted the seat back. Torso was actually quite long and not much headroom for him. Most recently gave a BMW driver a "tour" of the car (he sat in and adjusted both front seats).

From the two pictures, you can see there is space between the tire and console with room for the driver seat to move back.

Spokey, you mentioned you have 2" from the laid down headrest to the back of the driver seat? I just took a look at the tire and found that if the headrest/seatback is raised 2" from the"flat" cargo hauling position, the headrest fits nicely inside the tire, yielding only the width of the spoke to the seat (less than 2"). So with maneuvering, it could still work with the headrest if you wanted to try it. As a medium height female, I have more room and these are not issues.

modern_spare_modelY-3.jpg

modern_spare_modelY-4.jpg

Last edited: