Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spare Tire Installed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually didn't cut the OEM folding floor. Replaced it with 3/8" plywood, cut to fit, covered in cheap "carpet" I picked up at Michael's. Note that the cutout is off-center, IIRC because the floor of the well is also offset. I don't remember. Leaning the wheel the way I did, there's room for the 1.5 ton jack, breaker bar, under the wheel.

I test fit the Vredestein on the car, fully inflated it, all the measurements are identical to Tesla OEM.

The Vredestein Space Master is around $800 from Maserati, IIRC, I picked it up at an auto dismantler for $400, shipped, new, never inflated/mounted.
Thanks! and just a stupid follow-up question:
This method would not have worked with the modern spare (even deflated, it wouldn't fit the same way?)

Traditional tire (Modern Spare) won't collapse enough when deflated. I actually purchased the Modern Spare first, and I believe I tried it, and it was just too tall, IIRC, bumping up against the hatch. I sold the Modern Spare locally.

Based on past experience, and superstition (HAHA!), I fully expect a blowout-free experience with my MY, now that I have a spare. 🤪🤪🤪

The Vredestein Space Master is around $800 from Maserati, IIRC, I picked it up at an auto dismantler for $400, shipped, new, never inflated/mounted.
What are the ~dimensions on the Vredestein Space Master (when collapsed) when looking to size a suitable space? Possible you have a thread you could link detailing this or have seen a thread describing the sizing attributes of this collapsable spare for those interested in understanding the details better?

Anyone know of any other options for a collapsable spare that fit the lug/hub type avalible on other platforms or manufactures that produce a similarly compact system?

Last edited:
Sorry this took so long...

Vredestein MasterSpare deflated: 7.5" X 23.25".

How do I like it? HAHA! Unknown. I like the fact that I don't even think about it. Yes, I lose the deep well (wheel, breaker bar, scissor jack, pucks, Tesla inflator). Several towels for inevitable dog clean-up. I've made 3 long road trips since the install.

The space (bulge) it takes in the trunk is so small that it hasn't inconvenienced my road trips in the slightest.

Last edited:
Sorry this took so long...

Vredestein MasterSpare deflated: 7.5" X 23.25".

How do I like it? HAHA! Unknown. I like the fact that I don't even think about it. Yes, I lose the deep well (wheel, breaker bar, scissor jack, pucks, Tesla inflator). Several towels for inevitable dog clean-up. I've made 3 long road trips since the install.

The space (bulge) it takes in the trunk is so small that it hasn't inconvenienced my road trips in the slightest.
I know you had the Modern Spare before changing to this but why exactly? The MasterSpare is considerably larger according to the dimensions you just posted. 🤨 Edit: Disregard, I was looking at the wrong dimensions!

Last edited:
Pianewman, can you confirm the size of the Levante Vredestein tire? I am finding a 195/75-18 on Ebay. The online calculator I found gives this a 29.5" diameter. We have a 2022 with 19 wheels, 255/45-19 that come out to 28" diameter.
I wonder if there are different models and wheels sizes for Maserati Levantes.
Any help appreciated thanks.

ive got a modern spare in trunk fully inflated, i just took out the bin and added a milk crate to support the back end of the spare. it all fits fine and doesnt bump the rear floor up more than about 1/4" or so at the joint in middle. No biggie, and ive got a trunk liner anyway that conceals it. The jack and tool fit in front of tire fine. This way i didnt cut the trunk bin i can just throw it back in when its time to trade in and take spare with me.

ive heard you can also get the nissan murano spare as its same, not sure if any smaller.

i would NOT be running around with a totally deflated spare. it needs to be ready to go if needed. As for tire patch kits, yeah great idea unless its a tear. Good 50% solution. AAA ? Thats even worse but again good luck. Id rather be self sufficient and just swap out to the spare in 5 minutes but you can spend hours or days getting it solved if you want. Or just roll the dice. I will never need the spare again now that ive got it lol

Reactions: JonB65 and GoVols!
ive got a modern spare in trunk fully inflated, i just took out the bin and added a milk crate to support the back end of the spare. it all fits fine and doesnt bump the rear floor up more than about 1/4" or so at the joint in middle. No biggie, and ive got a trunk liner anyway that conceals it. The jack and tool fit in front of tire fine. This way i didnt cut the trunk bin i can just throw it back in when its time to trade in and take spare with me.

ive heard you can also get the nissan murano spare as its same, not sure if any smaller.

i would NOT be running around with a totally deflated spare. it needs to be ready to go if needed. As for tire patch kits, yeah great idea unless it’s a tear. Good 50% solution. AAA ? Thats even worse but again good luck. Id rather be self sufficient and just swap out to the spare in 5 minutes but you can spend hours or days getting it solved if you want. Or just roll the dice. I will never need the spare again now that ive got it lol
Well done and i agree. Add some pics so we can see it. Thanks

Just to add to this:
the reason blowouts (complete tire failure, shredded tire) happen on road trips is simply because the chances of a flat happening at high speed is much greater since most of your time will be above 60mph.
Even a nail puncture can turn into a shredded tire by the time you slow down, get off the freeway or a safe spot.
The consequences are much greater, even if the chances are less.
I had a nail/screw in the passenger side front tire, and the TPMS sensor detected 6 psi lower than the others. I was 2 hour away from home, so I had no choice, but to drive home on I-95 for two hours doing 75-85 mph. No Blowout.

Update on Vredestein Spare Tire installed in deep well.

It's functioning flawlessly, as I expected. I haven't had a flat in almost 12 months!!! 🤪 🤣
Was just reading through this thread trying to learn more.

Does anyone know what are the dimensions of the rear storage area Without the aesthetic covering?

Is there any chance a collapsable spare would fit down inside the lower storage area on any of the various iterations of the vehicle without the aesthetic covering?

F512FA76-CCFC-4A77-84B2-A98E1ED14CA4.jpeg

IMG_2044.jpg

just add milk crate partially cut to support the spare and ratchet strap it down. This is what everyone is doing. It pops rear floor at seam about1/4 " and is undetectable once a trunk floor liner is installed. Ive been driving around like that for a year, and ill never need that spare now that ive got it lol.

but i want to mount spare in frunk now as I want that space back. I want to mount sub/amp down there and the funk is doing nothing.

Reactions: JonB65
just add milk crate partially cut to support the spare and ratchet strap it down. This is what everyone is doing. It pops rear floor at seam about1/4 " and is undetectable once a trunk floor liner is installed. Ive been driving around like that for a year, and ill never need that spare now that ive got it lol.

but i want to mount spare in frunk now as I want that space back. I want to mount sub/amp down there and the funk is doing nothing.
[ratchet strap it down]
I have not strapped it down yet. For a month now I have not seen any problem, especially when grocery bags are on top