Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y standard range battery LFP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dont think there is a Model Y LFP, at all (in the US). The Model Y AWD (what people call the standard range one) isnt LFP, and none of the other ones are either.
Correct the MY AWD (which, as you note, people incorrectly call 'standard range') uses the 4680 cells which apparently have the same restrictions as the 2170's. BTW, this apparently isn't on the website for ordering any longer. 🤷‍♂️

I got my son an SR Model 3 with LFP.
I love the idea that he can charge to 100%
It actually gives him more range than my MYP.

What's the rub with an LFP?

Charging an LFP to 100% everytime isn't exactly great for it. Its recommended to charge to 100% once a week but it has the same weakness as any other Li-ion battery in that high SoC has higher degradation. Frankly, I just charge to around 50% daily as I rarely drive more than 100 miles in a given day. When I need it, I charge to 100% and get about 250 miles and I prefer the performance the dual motors with NCA/NCM provide (along with faster charging).

Correct the MY AWD (which, as you note, people incorrectly call 'standard range') uses the 4680 cells which apparently have the same restrictions as the 2170's. BTW, this apparently isn't on the website for ordering any longer. 🤷‍♂️
Do you notice anything good or bad related to your 4680 battery pack? I used to think this was the battery to go for, but seems like the answer is that it is not quite the dream battery presented a few yrs ago, at least not yet.

Charging an LFP to 100% everytime isn't exactly great for it. Its recommended to charge to 100% once a week but it has the same weakness as any other Li-ion battery in that high SoC has higher degradation. Frankly, I just charge to around 50% daily as I rarely drive more than 100 miles in a given day. When I need it, I charge to 100% and get about 250 miles and I prefer the performance the dual motors with NCA/NCM provide (along with faster charging).
Since LFP batteries are more stable, they can be charged to 100% for daily driving. In fact, Tesla suggests charging your LFP Model 3 to 100% at least once a week to balance voltage and recalibrate range and charge readings. Jun 15, 2023
Not saying I agree, just following protocol.

When Tesla started deliveries of the Model 3 RWD with lithium ferrophosphate (LFP) batteries, it made a strange recommendation on its website and in the user manual. Unlike the usual charging behavior for Li-Ion batteries, Tesla said it’s OK to charge the battery to 100% and even recommends doing so as often as possible. 100% is what the owner’s manual says. But what does Tesla know, they only built the thing?

I would agree though that full charges a couple of times a week are probably best for maintaining range accuracy and not necessarily best for longevity. Whether you are charging to 50% or 90% really doesn't make any difference, because the LFP batteries operate at a relatively consistent voltage (3.2 v) across the charging spectrum. Probably charge to 80 or 90% for daily drives, and 100% weekly, or twice a week to maintain the accuracy of the range estimate. It's a balance. You are no doubt going to deplete the life of the battery over the time you own it and it is nice to know that the LFPs have a longer longevity than other batteries produced for and by Tesla.

Since LFP batteries are more stable, they can be charged to 100% for daily driving. In fact, Tesla suggests charging your LFP Model 3 to 100% at least once a week to balance voltage and recalibrate range and charge readings. Jun 15, 2023
Not saying I agree, just following protocol.

When Tesla started deliveries of the Model 3 RWD with lithium ferrophosphate (LFP) batteries, it made a strange recommendation on its website and in the user manual. Unlike the usual charging behavior for Li-Ion batteries, Tesla said it’s OK to charge the battery to 100% and even recommends doing so as often as possible. 100% is what the owner’s manual says. But what does Tesla know, they only built the thing?

I would agree though that full charges a couple of times a week are probably best for maintaining range accuracy and not necessarily best for longevity. Whether you are charging to 50% or 90% really doesn't make any difference, because the LFP batteries operate at a relatively consistent voltage (3.2 v) across the charging spectrum. Probably charge to 80 or 90% for daily drives, and 100% weekly, or twice a week to maintain the accuracy of the range estimate. It's a balance. You are no doubt going to deplete the life of the battery over the time you own it and it is nice to know that the LFPs have a longer longevity than other batteries produced for and by Tesla.

I agree with what you said and lots of evidence that suggest battery degradation is significantly lower under 70% for LFP (55% for NCA). Also, LFP has more charge cycles but cyclic degradation is significantly lesser factor in overall degradation vs. calendar aging.

I would personally only charge to 100% once a week and try to keep the battery below 70% most of the other times. I don't think thats hard to do really and would keep the battery at peak performance for the longest time. I've kept my NCA battery under 55% for most of the time and I see very little degradation since i've been keeping that practice. Tesla's recommendations often trade longevity for convenience and thats fine but if you are a EV nerd like me, you want to see how strong you can keep the battery 😁

Reactions: MacO512
I agree with what you said and lots of evidence that suggest battery degradation is significantly lower under 70% for LFP (55% for NCA). Also, LFP has more charge cycles but cyclic degradation is significantly lesser factor in overall degradation vs. calendar aging.

I would personally only charge to 100% once a week and try to keep the battery below 70% most of the other times. I don't think thats hard to do really and would keep the battery at peak performance for the longest time. I've kept my NCA battery under 55% for most of the time and I see very little degradation since i've been keeping that practice. Tesla's recommendations often trade longevity for convenience and thats fine but if you are a EV nerd like me, you want to see how strong you can keep the battery 😁
I charge my MYP to 90% every night and seldom keep my car for over two years. Anything less for me is not worth the hassle.
I did the same (90%) with my 2014 Model S, and the new owner with 184,000+ miles says his degradation is 14%, He just pulled off the PPF and it looks like new, in fact, shinier than the new X. So for me, I'm not going to experience the hassle and inconvenience just for some perceived benefit for the new owner. Most of these batteries will outlive the cars themselves, anyway. I charge at home with FPL's EVolution program for unlimited charging for $31 a month and use the superchargers less than 4% of the time. Charging to 90% is no where near as bad as constantly supercharging. Did you ever put your hand on that cable??
20161029_152230.jpg

Last edited:
I charge my MYP to 90% every night and seldom keep my car for over two years. Anything less for me is not worth the hassle.
I did the same (90%) with my 2014 Model S, and the new owner with 184,000+ miles says his degradation is 14%, He just pulled off the PPF and it looks like new, in fact, shinier than the new X. So for me, I'm not going to experience the hassle and inconvenience just for some perceived benefit for the new owner. Most of these batteries will outlive the cars themselves, anyway. I charge at home with FPL's EVolution program for unlimited charging for $31 a month and use the superchargers less than 4% of the time. Charging to 90% is no where near as bad as constantly supercharging. Did you ever put your hand on that cable??
View attachment 978854
A recent study indicates that frequent supercharging isn't as bad as originally thought, so we can probably disregard that now.

A recent study indicates that frequent supercharging isn't as bad as originally thought, so we can probably disregard that now.

Great news and the numbers look good, but tell that to my cousin, who never did anything but supercharge across the street from her house, and just had her battery replaced on her 2021 Model S at 63,345 miles. It died with 69 miles left and would not take any additional charge. Service Center was 74 miles away and she made it with four miles to spare, getting multiple fingers on the highway for driving 50 mph. Fortunately, the battery was under warranty.

I don't have the 4680 pack, I have a LR. Look at my post #14 above for a review.
The only benefit to the 4680 pack is that it makes it cheaper for Tesla to make vehicles, due to increased efficiency. There is not really any benefit to the consumer. If the batteries are more, efficient, Tesla just uses fewer batteries. You may get a slight break on price, but certainly not much.

Great news and the numbers look good, but tell that to my cousin, who never did anything but supercharge across the street from her house, and just had her battery replaced on her 2021 Model S at 63,345 miles. It died with 69 miles left and would not take any additional charge. Service Center was 74 miles away and she made it with four miles to spare, getting multiple fingers on the highway for driving 50 mph. Fortunately, the battery was under warranty.
Well, I'm not defending or arguing with the study, just posting it for reference. There are always exceptions that price the rule, I guess. And was she told that extensive supercharger used killed her battery? Is it possible there was another reason?

Looks like it is LFP this time to. Marginally less range, significantly slower, but probably with a better charge curve. It'll be interesting to see this tested.

I used to tell people all the time "Even the slow Teslas are Fast..". Definitely cant say that with this one. Not everyone wants super fast cars, sure, but 0-60 in 6.6 seconds is... slow. Its slow enough for regular people who dont normally drive performance minded cars to say "man this is slow".

Reactions: jsight and ucmndd
Great news and the numbers look good, but tell that to my cousin, who never did anything but supercharge across the street from her house, and just had her battery replaced on her 2021 Model S at 63,345 miles.
This implies causation that simply can’t be proven. The battery might have (and probably even would have) failed at exactly the same time had it been charged exclusively on 120v L1.

Batteries tend to outright fail due to non-charging related things like manufacturing defects, moisture ingress, failure of the BMS electronics, etc etc. AKA “all the other stuff” that makes them work. Not charging related chemical stress on the cells.

I dont think there is a Model Y LFP, at all (in the US). The Model Y AWD (what people call the standard range one) isnt LFP, and none of the other ones are either.
Perfect timing

22f78685fed96d10e2ed66ab3d79094f802f446064a90fe18fff647fd538f2ab.jpg

I was looking at an LFP Model Y to buy to transfer my FSD to from my TM3, the deal ended when the quarter ended and then the very next day they release the car I wanted.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I used to tell people all the time "Even the slow Teslas are Fast..". Definitely cant say that with this one. Not everyone wants super fast cars, sure, but 0-60 in 6.6 seconds is... slow. Its slow enough for regular people who dont normally drive performance minded cars to say "man this is slow".
It's not 'fast' but it's no where near 'slow'. 6.6 sec times are considered quick for a car, certainly a small suv.
6.6sec 0-60 is right in line with every luxury ice/hybrid sports suv and sports sedan up to $50-60k+.
EV6 is about 7 sec
Audi Q5 is about 6.7
Std Y is still within a couple tenths of Mercedes, Audi, Genesis midsize sedans.

regular people will not say "man this is slow" because the std range is still a tesla ev and doesn't magically loose that instant torque because it's rwd. 0-20, 0-30 it is still quite fast by any measure of a production car.

In fact the opposite, most uninitiated people will think it's much faster than it really is.

*and for those living at higher altitudes, even the std Y will blow away most normally aspirated ice cars. They lose 3% power per 1k feet of altitude. Up at Big Bear, that's 20% less power compared to the Y's full load totally unaffected by altitude. Turbos are far less affected but you will be surprised how much it affects power.

Last edited:
I agree. The LFP Model 3 at 5.8s is about the max I'm willing to tolerate. ~7 seconds is mediocre.