Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y standard range battery LFP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's site doesn't list this Standard Range Model Y as qualifying for the $7500 tax credit. Is this just not updated or does it not qualify somehow?
1696357634819.png

Tesla's site doesn't list this Standard Range Model Y as qualifying for the $7500 tax credit. Is this just not updated or does it not qualify somehow?
View attachment 979312
In the ordering page for the rwd MY, it did day: “Your design qualifies for a $7,500 federal tax credit for eligible buyers.”

On top of that, msrp under 45k makes the rwd MY to qualify for additional 2500 incentive in my state……

Reactions: vickh and israndy
I told people 2 years ago the cheap RWD Model Y would back.

This was of course after they stopped selling the original Standard Range Model Y RWD with the NCM 2170 battery pack that was priced as low as $39,990. And it makes sense the RWD is back now. With interest rates at their highest in decades.. I'd imagine the line of people waiting to buy a $50K vehicle is getting shorter every day. 7% interest rates have certainly kept me from even looking at the price of new MYPs.. regardless of how bad I've always wanted one.

This lower price point now puts the Model Y on equal ground as something like the CRV or RAV4 once tax incentives are added to the equation. Even better there is a chance that if inventory starts to pile up again.. there will eventually be inventory discounts on even this NEW RWD Model Y with the LFP battery.. and some people might be able to find some for under $40K all over again.

Tesla's entire market valuation is based on selling 10+M vehicles annually by 2030. Every quarter they need to sell more vehicles than they did the previous quarter. Every year they need to almost double what was sold the previous year to track towards that 10+M number. All signs are pointing to them getting even more aggressive with pricing as time passes on. I imagine the end-of-year sales and incentives in December are going to be absolutely outrageous!!

I told people 2 years ago the cheap RWD Model Y would back.

This was of course after they stopped selling the original Standard Range Model Y RWD with the NCM 2170 battery pack that was priced as low as $39,990. And it makes sense the RWD is back now. With interest rates at their highest in decades.. I'd imagine the line of people waiting to buy a $50K vehicle is getting shorter every day. 7% interest rates have certainly kept me from even looking at the price of new MYPs.. regardless of how bad I've always wanted one.

This lower price point now puts the Model Y on equal ground as something like the CRV or RAV4 once tax incentives are added to the equation. Even better there is a chance that if inventory starts to pile up again.. there will eventually be inventory discounts on even this NEW RWD Model Y with the LFP battery.. and some people might be able to find some for under $40K all over again.

Tesla's entire market valuation is based on selling 10+M vehicles annually by 2030. Every quarter they need to sell more vehicles than they did the previous quarter. Every year they need to almost double what was sold the previous year to track towards that 10+M number. All signs are pointing to them getting even more aggressive with pricing as time passes on. I imagine the end-of-year sales and incentives in December are going to be absolutely outrageous!!

Is this LFP for sure, or like the AWD structural pack? Charge to 100% daily?

Prediction for end Q4 inventory? Will the tax credit phase out like M3 LFP?

I have one of these cars and it is only slow off the mark, from 0 - 20 mph it is slower than a Toyota Yaris. It hits peak power at about 45mph but is pretty fast from 20mph onwards. It is 1800kg and has around 295hp, but a fair slug of instant torque. Think of a 3.5 V6, that is constantly in the powerband with instant throttle response. I actually kept up with an EVO 10 from about 40 - 80mph if anyone knows what car that is. We have a lot of very twisty hillclimb type roads here and it’s surprising what you can keep up with. It’s maybe about Golf GTI fast over twisty roads - I think the turn in benefits from 150kg less weight over the front axle. An interesting fact is this car is now sold in China with an updated drive unit that has pretty much the same power but a 5.9 sec 0-62mph time, which is a full second faster and probably reflects the actual power to weight of the car - I would guess the difference is all in that 0 - 20mph dead zone of the current car.

150kg less weight over the front axle compared to a dual motor car I meant. (maybe more actually). Traction does suffer in the wet though. I get wheelspin at 30mph in the wet going dead straight, which might be a bit of fun if the traction control wasn’t such a killjoy.

Reactions: MacO512
I have one of these cars and it is only slow off the mark, from 0 - 20 mph it is slower than a Toyota Yaris. It hits peak power at about 45mph but is pretty fast from 20mph onwards. It is 1800kg and has around 295hp, but a fair slug of instant torque. Think of a 3.5 V6, that is constantly in the powerband with instant throttle response. I actually kept up with an EVO 10 from about 40 - 80mph if anyone knows what car that is. We have a lot of very twisty hillclimb type roads here and it’s surprising what you can keep up with. It’s maybe about Golf GTI fast over twisty roads - I think the turn in benefits from 150kg less weight over the front axle. An interesting fact is this car is now sold in China with an updated drive unit that has pretty much the same power but a 5.9 sec 0-62mph time, which is a full second faster and probably reflects the actual power to weight of the car - I would guess the difference is all in that 0 - 20mph dead zone of the current car.
I suspect the M3 RWD and likely this new MY RWD are software limited to reduce some acceleration. Just doesn't make sense that the vehicles have power at some speeds and so little at other speeds. Maybe eventually Tesla will offer an acceleration boost type option or a 3rd party will have "ghosting" type software to unlock more power.

I suspect the M3 RWD and likely this new MY RWD are software limited to reduce some acceleration. Just doesn't make sense that the vehicles have power at some speeds and so little at other speeds. Maybe eventually Tesla will offer an acceleration boost type option or a 3rd party will have "ghosting" type software to unlock more power.
Maybe. But these motors do have a powerband, so maybe not. It’s easy to disguise the powerband in a dual motor car, but with single motor and one gear you are going to notice any powerband the motor has. It’s definitely not traction related, as there’s heaps of that in the dry. I’d love to know what they’ve done to the Chinese market version to make it so much faster - I can’t help but wonder if it’s gearing.

One bonus of single motor is efficiency at least - these RWD MY are pretty remarkable in that regard - people often report getting better efficiency than their slightly older (pre heat pump) M3’s.
I have the RWD SR Model Y with the 54kWh battery from early 2021 and I completely agree with the efficiency you stated. My vehicle is about 500 lbs lighter than an AWD LR Model Y with a 77-82kWh battery. Granted that vehicle had the NCM pack and will do 0-60 in 5.3 seconds.. it has the exact powertrain from the SR+ Model 3 that was sold in the US from 2019 to 2022. In the spring/summer/fall it's not uncommon for me to average 200-210wh/mi.. which is amazingly close to 5 miles per kWh. And of course, all Model Y's come with a heat pump.

My lifetime wh/mi is 248.. but that's only because I do a ton of highway driving at 75-80mph. Even driving at those speeds the car still gets me about 80% of the advertised range. Pretty easy to knock out about 180 miles of highway driving before I need to look for a charger. That actually works out perfectly because by that time I probably need to use the bathroom anyway lol.

It's frustrating that the U.S. is always stuck with the oldest Model 3 and Y versions.

The Shanghai RWD Model Y has a better interior, is faster, better range, and a better charging battery (CATL M3P).
No, that's a good thing. They rollout in smaller volumes to validate production quality and manufacturing.
China is also a more competitive EV market. Tesla has to give more value.

China sells about 77k Teslas in 2022.
US sales are around 200k.

Reactions: vickh
No, that's a good thing. They rollout in smaller volumes to validate production quality and manufacturing.

Understand your point from a business standpoint. You're correct Tesla has a lot more competition in China compared to the U.S., where they can rest back on their laurels.

From a me/customer standpoint, I don't like it. I wish I could have the latest technology, and I'm holding back my purchase as a result.

Reactions: Daekwan

Well, in 2023, through August Tesla sold over 390,000 cars in China... The US number through September was about 750,000 (which includes some S/X models, unlike China sales) so while your point may be valid, you need to check your numbers! And I'm not sure you can say 390k cars is a 'small' volume.

Well, in 2023, through August Tesla sold over 390,000 cars in China... The US number through September was about 750,000 (which includes some S/X models, unlike China sales) so while your point may be valid, you need to check your numbers! And I'm not sure you can say 390k cars is a 'small' volume.
I guess the factory over there picked up...
THere are a couple factors I listed, but ramping up changes at one factory with 50% less production is one of them.