Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y standard range for UK - will it happen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone with a “Standard Range” model Y on 19’ wheels . When you charge to 100% how many miles of range do you show on the battery ?

My model 3 SR+on full charge dropped from about 230 miles new to about 218 now (56k miles driven) or 213 in this cold weather.
Got mine today and charged to 100% 260 miles looks like a net 60kw lfp battery.

Let’s have a tenner on it then, to the winner’s charity of choice.

I say MY LR to £62k within 6 months, so by the end of Feb 2023. You say sub £50k MY in 12 months, so by the end of Aug 2023.

Two separate £10 charity bets? Or two £5?
If it wasn't official when MY inventory cars were sub £50k pre Christmas, I think it's official now. £45k MY on the actual order page now

As a side note, not great for us in terms of residuals but probably great for Tesla long term. Will make them very competitive v competition.

ID4, Skoda enyaq etc, they'll look expensive now v an MY SR for example which has huge space, decent range, can charge to 100% and still pretty nippy on the throttle

Will be interesting to watch this play out. Is it good or bad news for share price? That's a really tough call due to the Ying Yang here. Profit margins obviously take a big hit, but it's also a kick in the teeth to the competitors which might play out as a greater market dominance, even here in Europe. How do you price market dominance? There is big value in that.

Anyways, I do like RSPCA for a charity donation if you wish to oblige :)

Profit margins obviously take a big hit

40% sales increase last year. Smaller margin on larger sales volume ... sounds all right to me, but I have no idea what that does to share price ...

Also more factories means that more cars are being made closer to customer. I'd be curious what the cost of shipping a car from China to UK is (including the month+ delay in turning it into cash) compared to Germany-to-UK.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
40% sales increase last year. Smaller margin on larger sales volume ... sounds all right to me, but I have no idea what that does to share price ...

Also more factories means that more cars are being made closer to customer. I'd be curious what the cost of shipping a car from China to UK is (including the month+ delay in turning it into cash) compared to Germany-to-UK.
Shipping prices are mental. Was £1k to ship a 40ft container to UK from China, then peaked at £10k during covid, and back down to £1k area again I think.

But a 40ft container isn't a car and Tesla lease the boats outright, so I would estimate about £1k to ship to here for example but thats a plain guess

In terms of profit/financials, if you take a walk through the numbers (estimated/ballpark)

Say for example Tesla can get a MY SR into UK at a cost to them of £40k all in. Sell it for £52k, thats a 30% profit margin

If you are now selling that car at £45k, thats a 12.5% profit margin, which is clearly still healthy

However, in terms of overall profit even if you double sales off the back of a price cut like that, you still make less profit, due to lower margin

Eg, previously you were getting £12k profit for that car, now its £5k, you now need to sell double the volume just to get ~20% less profit

Of course, that £40k all in number cost to Tesla I pulled out of thin air. I simply took the £52k price at 30% margin to get to £40k, as thats the profit margin that Tesla has been generating on average, across the globe across all models. Nobody knows the margin breakdown by model type/region but at leasts its an approximate indicator to work off.

I think its certain, for the year 2023 at least, that even if Tesla were double their sales YOY, they will make less profit than 2022. So with double sales being unlikely, profits will be significantly down YOY (caveat, we haven't even seen profit for 2022 yet, I'm assuming at this point it will be broadly in line with previous years)

If it wasn't official when MY inventory cars were sub £50k pre Christmas, I think it's official now. £45k MY on the actual order page now

As a side note, not great for us in terms of residuals but probably great for Tesla long term. Will make them very competitive v competition.

ID4, Skoda enyaq etc, they'll look expensive now v an MY SR for example which has huge space, decent range, can charge to 100% and still pretty nippy on the throttle

Will be interesting to watch this play out. Is it good or bad news for share price? That's a really tough call due to the Ying Yang here. Profit margins obviously take a big hit, but it's also a kick in the teeth to the competitors which might play out as a greater market dominance, even here in Europe. How do you price market dominance? There is big value in that.

Anyways, I do like RSPCA for a charity donation if you wish to oblige :)
You called it well, I gotta say!

I reckon they will sell them pretty well at those prices, and a good aggressive move. They’ve clearly realised they need to sell hard to shift the significant extra production capacity for this year. If (big if) it doesn’t work then they are in a spot of bother.

Donation made…

913BF4C7-B33B-4A1B-BF14-E17ABFE07632.jpeg

You called it well, I gotta say!

I reckon they will sell them pretty well at those prices, and a good aggressive move. They’ve clearly realised they need to sell hard to shift the significant extra production capacity for this year. If (big if) it doesn’t work then they are in a spot of bother.

Donation made…

View attachment 895190
You're a good man!

Overall sales were up when you included the model Y sales that would have had the initial backlog orders.

UK Model 3 YOY sales were down 47% YOY
2022 - 18k (-47%)
2021 - 34k

Will be interesting to see if they beat 72k (Y+3) sales of 2022 this year with the new price cuts.

There's 10% import duty for cars from China before you add transport costs,

Shipping prices are mental. Was £1k to ship a 40ft container to UK from China, then peaked at £10k during covid, and back down to £1k area again I think.

But a 40ft container isn't a car and Tesla lease the boats outright, so I would estimate about £1k to ship to here for example but thats a plain guess

In terms of profit/financials, if you take a walk through the numbers (estimated/ballpark)

Say for example Tesla can get a MY SR into UK at a cost to them of £40k all in. Sell it for £52k, thats a 30% profit margin

If you are now selling that car at £45k, thats a 12.5% profit margin, which is clearly still healthy

However, in terms of overall profit even if you double sales off the back of a price cut like that, you still make less profit, due to lower margin

Eg, previously you were getting £12k profit for that car, now its £5k, you now need to sell double the volume just to get ~20% less profit

Of course, that £40k all in number cost to Tesla I pulled out of thin air. I simply took the £52k price at 30% margin to get to £40k, as thats the profit margin that Tesla has been generating on average, across the globe across all models. Nobody knows the margin breakdown by model type/region but at leasts its an approximate indicator to work off.

I think its certain, for the year 2023 at least, that even if Tesla were double their sales YOY, they will make less profit than 2022. So with double sales being unlikely, profits will be significantly down YOY (caveat, we haven't even seen profit for 2022 yet, I'm assuming at this point it will be broadly in line with previous years)
Just one small addition to your always-interesting and informative analysis.

If you reduce the price for new sales, there will be a consequence for residual values of both the new stock, and existing stock. And it - importantly - affects sentiment over the likely future value of second hand stock. If a car has a scarcity value / rarity, it holds value very well. However, once the car is seen as somewhat commonplace, the second hand value falls significantly.

My benchmark for this is the 3 series BMW. In the 1980s, they were far less common than they became in the noughties, were highly rated, high starting price and had excellent residuals. Once the sales volume started to build, the residual took a hit, so they had to offer substantial discounts to list to shift them. This feeds a self-reinforcing cycle until a new equilibrium is reached.

For Tesla, the fact that the Y and 3 look very similar acts against the Y in particular The 3's conservative design does not appear to most people to have changed in 6 years, therefore aging the Y at the same rate. Hence the steep fall in Y residual seen recently, as well as the price differential between 3 and Y which in my view is not supportable at its current difference.

Just one small addition to your always-interesting and informative analysis.

If you reduce the price for new sales, there will be a consequence for residual values of both the new stock, and existing stock. And it - importantly - affects sentiment over the likely future value of second hand stock. If a car has a scarcity value / rarity, it holds value very well. However, once the car is seen as somewhat commonplace, the second hand value falls significantly.

My benchmark for this is the 3 series BMW. In the 1980s, they were far less common than they became in the noughties, were highly rated, high starting price and had excellent residuals. Once the sales volume started to build, the residual took a hit, so they had to offer substantial discounts to list to shift them. This feeds a self-reinforcing cycle until a new equilibrium is reached.

For Tesla, the fact that the Y and 3 look very similar acts against the Y in particular The 3's conservative design does not appear to most people to have changed in 6 years, therefore aging the Y at the same rate. Hence the steep fall in Y residual seen recently, as well as the price differential between 3 and Y which in my view is not supportable at its current difference.
Yes. I had a BMW 3 series, 2002 I think. E46 - I loved that car, it was fantastic. Sold it at about 8 years old for £1k to a friend in work, who subsequently ruined it and it was in the scrapyard within 12 months. Ignored the EML light and head gasket went. I still like the look of those cars but yeah, they were 'two a penny' back then and unless you had a premium model like an M, used values were horrendous.

Who knows what will happen with residuals but to hazzard a guess, I think the MY will hold up fairly well, at least through 2023, albeit the used price will rebase now due to the price cuts. But it should hold up fairly well I think.

As a M3 owner, I know full well I'm going to get a hammering this year. The cheapest M3 on autotrader right now is £26k, for a 2019 with 88k miles. Give it a month or two and we'll probably see 2020 MIC models with half the miles going for that sort of money (currently, £32k on autotrader)

After all, a 2023 brand new is £42,990 now and maybe even £40k at the end of quarter from inventory. So who's going to pay £32k for a 3 year old one with ~45k miles on it?

Now that there is no supply shortages, used prices will naturally follow new prices so those 2019 M3 cars on autotrader could be touching £20k in the not too distant future.

Reactions: CWT3LR
used prices will naturally follow new prices

For someone who buys new cars the "cost" is the difference between 2nd hand sale and new car purchase.

If both go down, but the difference remains in the same ballpark, its not much of an issue - allowing for the recent anomaly of the 2nd hand price being mental, largely due to post-pandemic supply chain issues. Got to try to remember that for the next pandemic in a century's time ...

A used car dealer near me said it was the first time he could remember where cars that sat on his lot appreciated in value!

Reactions: 2020M3SR

I'm not disagreeing entirely but a few things mitigate this :

- Tesla have been working on reducing the manufactured cost - something to do with a single pressed component
- The supply chain was constrained last year and prices of materials and components were high - maybe they are coming down again ?
- MIC cars attract a 10% import tax - are we going to see German built model Ys removing that cost ?
- Tesla has been ramping up 2 factories in 2022 - China and Germany - this meant "inefficient" operations, factories not operating at "full" capacity (which has an associated cost)
- We dont yet know what 2022 profit margins are - maybe they will be *very* high and 2022 is the exception with a return to where Tesla want to be for 2023.

Reactions: 2020M3SR
I'm not disagreeing entirely but a few things mitigate this :

- Tesla have been working on reducing the manufactured cost - something to do with a single pressed component
- The supply chain was constrained last year and prices of materials and components were high - maybe they are coming down again ?
- MIC cars attract a 10% import tax - are we going to see German built model Ys removing that cost ?
- Tesla has been ramping up 2 factories in 2022 - China and Germany - this meant "inefficient" operations, factories not operating at "full" capacity (which has an associated cost)
- We dont yet know what 2022 profit margins are - maybe they will be *very* high and 2022 is the exception with a return to where Tesla want to be for 2023.
Yes, lots of push and pull factors and while lithium is still at elevated prices, no doubt other things have come down

Like you say, more efficient factory set ups/volume help margins too

Fixed costs like the building, heating, lighting, land rates, machinery etc etc....if you build more cars ramping up, then your fixed costs get diluted more favourably with volume output increase, and then fixed cost per car built becomes a smaller number

With that said, 10% to 20% price reductions in various markets is a heck of a lot of ground to make up. Let's see what Elon says at EOY earnings.

He forewarned last month that 2023 could see margin erosion and possibly even negative margin. Strong words!

What’s the starting range on a model Y SR ? Ie at 100% fully charged how many miles of range is on the screen - 250?
Bjorn on YouTube did a road trip with small HVAC usage so a pretty good guide as to how far you can go with 100% battery. All done at 90km per hr on a main road, so about 56mph. I think he got 273 miles.

Worth noting, he found it 10% more efficient than the dual motor LR, which he got 306 miles from doing the same 90km per hr test, which is 33 more range than the SR. Not a huge amount in it.

Its not about dreaming. Its about looking around to see the reality. Subsidies and exchange rate hedges can't explain the below prices for MY in Europe

SR
LR

Norway 519990/559990
Germany 53990/56990
France 49990/64990
Netherlands 49990/65990
UK 51990/57990

France and Netherlands are 2 standouts. When we are talking about looking at reality, most people will know that (i) Tesla are extremely profitable, so they have plenty of room to sell cheaper if they chose to do so (as can be seen in France/Netherlands). We also know that (ii) if Tesla have great demand, they can and will sell at high prices. With 2 new factories ramping up, (iii) they will have more cars to sell.

So I think these 3 points are pretty much locked in as absolute fact and aren't really debatable (correct me if I'm wrong here)

For me, its only logical to assume that if demand isn't as much as factory output, they simply reduce the prices to the point where that sales volume ties in nicely with production. Tesla don't seem to like to hold too much inventory. Its not good for cashflow for a start so we'll possibly enter into a period of dynamic pricing.

It would be hard to deny that ultimately, demand will dictate the pricing. Its the Tesla way. Here in the UK, unless people go crazy for the £52k MY SR, or we see a sudden uplift in LR, then pricing will come down further, possibly even towards France/Netherlands prices (converted thats £42.5k for the MY SR)
However, if MY sales are very strong quarter after quarter, then prices won't come down to those levels. Its really as simple as that.

I could be very wrong in my prediction, but my overall read is that we'll see sub £50k MY in the UK within 12 months, with £42k to £45k also being possible. Many told me I was totally wrong on the MY SR coming to UK (some saying it will be years and years away) but as someone who works in financial forecasting for a living, as well as a car enthusiast, I could see this coming a mile away. The MY SR makes absolute sense for the EU market.

This might be uncomfortable reading for some people who have bought a MY as a cash purchase at elevated prices with the residuals at real risk of being hit quite hard but its just the way it is. 2 more factories, lots more cars to sell, household income under pressure across the world.....

Those who watch or listen to Elon Musk may have noted that his goal for the MY was to be best selling car in the world by revenue in 2022 and best selling car in the world by volume in 2023. He likes to prove his doubter wrong and prove himself right and if he wants to have MY being the worlds favourite car in 2023, well, you don't need to be a genius to work out that dynamic pricing will be a key in delivering that 2023 goal.
Sorry for the thread bump but quoting this for posterity and yes, to also say 'I told you so'

Not many people were on board with me back at the start of 2022 but worth a read back over some posts to see how this has all panned out for Tesla.

People were saying I'd be lucky to get a MY for below £60k soon and that there will be no demand issues for years, and that used Tesla residuals would keep increasing....completely detached from the reality of the general economy and how much money people have to spend on cars.

Looking back on this thread, how things have unfolded, people might say, yes, what we see now was bound to happen. But, back then, its clear the majority thought I was a raving lunatic with my head in the clouds. So I think I'm justified in the thread bump to say I told you so! 😜

• Informative
Sorry for the thread bump but quoting this for posterity and yes, to also say 'I told you so'

Not many people were on board with me back at the start of 2022 but worth a read back over some posts to see how this has all panned out for Tesla.

People were saying I'd be lucky to get a MY for below £60k soon and that there will be no demand issues for years, and that used Tesla residuals would keep increasing....completely detached from the reality of the general economy and how much money people have to spend on cars.

Looking back on this thread, how things have unfolded, people might say, yes, what we see now was bound to happen. But, back then, its clear the majority thought I was a raving lunatic with my head in the clouds. So I think I'm justified in the thread bump to say I told you so! 😜
They reduced the prices in Jan 2023 so you were right in your 2022 prediction a year ago, I expect the UK prices for the Y will be coming down soon.

I expect they will introduce more price cuts this year which will be at the same time where 2 year lease cars come up for sale too, not sure if that will play a part in their pricing decisions as people will now have a lot more used options

• Informative
They reduced the prices in Jan 2023 so you were right in your 2022 prediction a year ago, I expect the UK prices for the Y will be coming down soon.

I expect they will introduce more price cuts this year which will be at the same time where 2 year lease cars come up for sale too, not sure if that will play a part in their pricing decisions as people will now have a lot more used options
A really good point and one that's creating an interesting dynamic for all brand new EV sales for the year ahead. With no Govt subsidy for private EV purchases anymore, but still good benefits via company cars, we seen that almost 80% of all EV's bought in the UK last year where via company car type purchases, with only 20% ish of purchases from private buyers. That's heavily distorted from what we typically see across all car types, which is ball park 50/50 private purchases/company purchases in the wider UK market.

Like you mention, the above will only add to the issue you've already mentioned. Over on Pistonheads forum for example, people are snapping up cheap Audi e-trons due to the low prices. So that 20% of private buyers buying EV's, is that very low because they are all buying used instead, or just because they don't like EV's as much unless their is an incentive? I'm not sure but its going to be hard to bring ICE to EV converts into a new EV, when the used ones are going for such low prices. Minis, Corsas, Mazda 30's, Leafs and Zoes are cheap as chips on the used market, even fairly new and low miles and then at the mid range, you've got Tesla, Etrons, iPaces etc going for competitive prices and at the top end, Taycans are selling cheap (relatively) as well

So how do you sell a punter a brand new EV when the used ones are so competitively priced? I'm not a new EV buyer but if I was, it would be really difficult man maths to buy a new one when there are so many great value used ones to buy.

Reactions: Rooster6655
A really good point and one that's creating an interesting dynamic for all brand new EV sales for the year ahead. With no Govt subsidy for private EV purchases anymore, but still good benefits via company cars, we seen that almost 80% of all EV's bought in the UK last year where via company car type purchases, with only 20% ish of purchases from private buyers. That's heavily distorted from what we typically see across all car types, which is ball park 50/50 private purchases/company purchases in the wider UK market.

Like you mention, the above will only add to the issue you've already mentioned. Over on Pistonheads forum for example, people are snapping up cheap Audi e-trons due to the low prices. So that 20% of private buyers buying EV's, is that very low because they are all buying used instead, or just because they don't like EV's as much unless their is an incentive? I'm not sure but its going to be hard to bring ICE to EV converts into a new EV, when the used ones are going for such low prices. Minis, Corsas, Mazda 30's, Leafs and Zoes are cheap as chips on the used market, even fairly new and low miles and then at the mid range, you've got Tesla, Etrons, iPaces etc going for competitive prices and at the top end, Taycans are selling cheap (relatively) as well

So how do you sell a punter a brand new EV when the used ones are so competitively priced? I'm not a new EV buyer but if I was, it would be really difficult man maths to buy a new one when there are so many great value used ones to buy.

Company cars.

Many benefits, lower tax (salary sacrifice reduces tax/car allowance is taxed), often fully maintained & insured (known cost, spouse, children can be drivers, but conditions).