Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y steering locked up while driving [Power steering went out]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We got our Model Y 5 days ago. Today I was driving home and as I was turning left at an intersection the steering locked up and I could not turn the wheel at all. Very scary. I stopped the car basically blocking a lane of traffic. Had to get out of the car, lock it and then get in and start it up again. It worked and I was able to drive home. It happened to my husband yesterday but luckily in our driveway.

We called Tesla support and they told us to ‘reset’ the car; they said this issue happens “every now and then”. We have a service appointment next week.

To be honest now I’m scared to drive the car, or to let my sons drive it. I feel like just turning it in.

I’ve seen this has happened to a couple of other people on here, but I’m not clear on what the fix is/was. Can anyone tell me if they had this issue and if/how it was fixed?

• Informative
Reactions: ord3r
I feel like just turning it in.
I dont think you can just turn the car in, its yours now. I have not had steering lock up but my Feb 2022 MSLR stopped. I had just a few seconds after seeing the message "Pull Over safely, car shutting down". The car's ass was still in the lane but people were able to get around. Long story short, I shut the car down then restarted and drove off. Took it to service with your same feelings of not wanting to drive it. Service took it in, checked connections, wire harnesses and drove it 100 miles. They could not find the cause and could not repeat the problem. I took it back after 12 days. I was leary about driving and drove puckered for about 1,000 miles. It happened at 3,000 miles. It now has 11,000 miles and no problems at all. It's a dream to drive.

ecsmudge: "We called Tesla support and they told us to ‘reset’ the car; they said this issue happens “every now and then”. We have a service appointment next week."

TOTALLY unacceptable, and this comment needs to be addressed by the most senior manager at your Service Center.

There's NO WAY any manufacturer would accept "this issue happens every now and then."

Tesla is unlike most cars in that there's no way for the steering to "lock" as there simply is no locking mechanism. However, there is still the possibility of an intermittent failure with the power assist which would cause the steering to require much more effort. It is not normal, not acceptable, not something that "just happens every now and then" and can not be fixed with a reboot.

Fortunately, Teslas are really good at logging errors and there's even a good chance that you can view the error log yourself by checking "service alerts" from Service Mode. If you find steering related codes in there and relay them to your service center it will surely get their attention.

The people you called are just phone center operators and the only thing they can do to help people is to suggest a reboot. Assuming you put in a service request thru the app, someone should text you back tomorrow-ish and should acknowledge the severity of the situation as well as the fact that you just took delivery. If not, send them another text to remind them that the car isn't safe to drive and ask them to bring out a loaner.

We got our Model Y 5 days ago. Today I was driving home and as I was turning left at an intersection the steering locked up and I could not turn the wheel at all. Very scary. I stopped the car basically blocking a lane of traffic. Had to get out of the car, lock it and then get in and start it up again. It worked and I was able to drive home. It happened to my husband yesterday but luckily in our driveway.

We called Tesla support and they told us to ‘reset’ the car; they said this issue happens “every now and then”. We have a service appointment next week.

To be honest now I’m scared to drive the car, or to let my sons drive it. I feel like just turning it in.

I’ve seen this has happened to a couple of other people on here, but I’m not clear on what the fix is/was. Can anyone tell me if they had this issue and if/how it was fixed?
Scary.
And welcome to the world of Tesla Customer Care. They’re as bad as the car is good.
I know that’s not very reassuring but I just don’t want you to have very high hopes. It’s likely that :
1. They keep telling you generic *sugar* like “This kind of stuff happens from time to time, reset the car and it should be fine”. You reset the car and things might seem to be ok for an afternoon and then it’ll just come back. When you contact to them about it again, it’ll be the same generic response.

2. If you persist, they’ll probably tell you that it’ll be fixed in the next software update. If you ask when is that likely to happen (a rough estimate of which update that’ll bring the correction), you’ll again get some generic crap.

If your car is really new and if you can exchange it/give it back you should do it (I read somewhere here that you’ve 7 days after purchase to give it back). And hope that the next one works better.

Else (and I hope I am wrong) you might be in this for a VERY long while.

Saying all this from experience. Didn’t have the same issue as yours but have had other issues since the day I got the car.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

Did your steering actually *lock* up, or did the power steering go out, so it required higher effort to turn the wheel?

Like another poster said, there's no steering column lock on these cars.
I think the power steering went out (i think that was the error message) but there was NO way to move the wheel, that car is SUPER heavy. The support guy on the phone said “I could maybe have turned the wheel but I’m a big dude”. Seriously.

I think the power steering went out (i think that was the error message) but there was NO way to move the wheel, that car is SUPER heavy. The support guy on the phone said “I could maybe have turned the wheel but I’m a big dude”. Seriously.

(moderator note)

I added this detail to the thread title, because there is a difference in "Locked up" and "power steering went out". Im not goiing to debate whether or not you or anyone else could have turned the wheel without power steering, but these two statements are pretty substantially different claims, so the thread title should reflect that.

Good call. Locked is a lot scarier than no power steering. With a rolling car, it can definitely be steered. Stopped, I understand it would probably be a bear to turn the wheel with such a fast ratio. But on cars with no power steering, that's the trick - you get moving a tiny bit and the steering starts to accept input again. Even on my friend's 2000lb '91 Honda CR-X, you really don't turn the wheel while it's stopped, it's difficult.

Reactions: Johnny Vector