Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y: Tesla targets November 2019 for start of Model Y production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m surprised they’re killing the Focus first. Seems like it’s a good seller for them

The Focus is only being killed off in North America. They sell a ton outside of N.A. and will continue to sell them abroad. Also, Ford will bring the Focus Active to the N.A. market which is in essence a Focus made to look like a CUV (Subaru beat them to the punch 20+ years ago - Legacy Station Wagon --> Outback).

The Focus is only being killed off in North America. They sell a ton outside of N.A. and will continue to sell them abroad. Also, Ford will bring the Focus Active to the N.A. market which is in essence a Focus made to look like a CUV (Subaru beat them to the punch 20+ years ago - Legacy Station Wagon --> Outback).

And here I thought the AMC Eagle beat them all to it... :p 38 years ago.

• Love
Reactions: Brando and Olds442
i think they did do a last minute re-boot of the gremlin as a 4wd version, but the concord/eagle was already in production. (could be wrong alert)

i had a '78 gremlin. rolling birth control that car was. (i did not purchase the car, mom n dad made me drive it to HS). it was a car and a lot faster than my schwinn.

PJAsT67.jpg

Reactions: Cowby and jerjozwik
I definitely don't take Elon's timetables to heart. His comments are more of rough suggestions than drop-dead benchmarks.
As for the Model Y, I'm definitely going to be reserving a Model 3 but the longer it goes on, I'm beginning to think of maybe holding out for a Model Y. If it's a tad bigger, that'd be great, but with that comes a higher price. And even though I've seen reports purporting that it could be priced less than a Model 3, I have my doubts, which will be the main reason I will be in a Model 3... not a bad thing but price is the main concern. I think they need to stick to things they know, have more humans on the line than they currently have and stick with regular doors, and not Falconwing Doors. Although, having been a former DeLorean Owners for 13 years, I can't say I wouldn't like the FWDs, but if they slow production and make them some astronomically priced option, I wouldn't be able to afford them anyway. Definitely looking forward to the reveal and anxious to see the size and base price.

reports of a lower price? where? that seems highly unlikely
Originally, the Y was supposed to be on a different platform and be greatly simplified, even compared to the 3...thus making it cheaper. Now that they are going to stick with a modified 3 platform, they probably won't be able to cut costs as much as they'd originally hoped.

• Informative
Reactions: Brando
We saw the X in the Bellevue showroom a couple of months ago and I fell in love.....thankfully my DH has a more level head and suggested we wait and look at all of our options before we write a check. Now don't get me wrong, we both have been looking at the EV's for a while and he loved the X also. He just wanted me be SURE that this is the one I want.
Once I got home and started researching, I'm glad he did because the X is just a bit bigger then what we really need (after all we have an F150 to do hauling etc) What we need is a vehicle for me to do my running around, so I looked at the 3 but we have a 55lb fur baby that we take whenever we can and a 4yr Grand daughter so an SUV option is the best for us.
With all that said.....I have a feeling that we will be jumping in line for the Y.
I'm also hoping for AWD
not too concerned about the back doors ( I think the FWD add a certain something to the X)
hatchback with enough room for my dog
folding flat rear seats for Costco runs :rolleyes:

Exclusive: Tesla targets November 2019 for start of Model Y production

I believe Elon Musk will follow the Model 3 formula:
If it ain't broke, then don't fix it!

500,000 possible reservations @ $1000 = $500,000,000 (Half Billion Dollars)

if Elon increases the deposit from $1,000 to $2,000, then Tesla Motors receives ONE BILLION DOLLARS.

Maybe make it possible to spend 1k to transfer a Model 3 reservation to a Model Y reservation. That way Tesla will never need to actually build cars. Just reveal them and get enough money to make it to the next concept.

No more production hell, no more supplier problems, just big awesome reveal parties!

Edit: And a good excuse for everyone not really ready to buy an EV. Because you have a Model Y reservation. So that's enough world saving for today.

• Funny
Maybe make it possible to spend 1k to transfer a Model 3 reservation to a Model Y reservation. That way Tesla will never need to actually build cars. Just reveal them and get enough money to make it to the next concept.

No more production hell, no more supplier problems, just big awesome reveal parties!

Edit: And a good excuse for everyone not really ready to buy an EV. Because you have a Model Y reservation. So that's enough world saving for today.

You do realize that as of April more Model 3s were sold in the US than BMW 3-series and Audi A4s, and that in the next month or two the Model 3 will also pass US sales of Mercedes C class? Model 3 reveal effect on other luxury car sales And it is just a matter of time before the Model 3 passes sales of these models worldwide -- that should happen in 2019. Then the pattern will very likely repeat with the Model Y and the BMW X3, Audi Q5, etc.

• Informative
You do realize that as of April more Model 3s were sold in the US than BMW 3-series and Audi A4s, and that in the next month or two the Model 3 will also pass US sales of Mercedes C class? Model 3 reveal effect on other luxury car sales And it is just a matter of time before the Model 3 passes sales of these models worldwide -- that should happen in 2019. Then the pattern will very likely repeat with the Model Y and the BMW X3, Audi Q5, etc.

I realize that people are already thinking about waiting for the Model Y, instead of buying an EV right now. They did the same with the Model 3 before. And sure, you could totally be right about the Model 3 outselling the 3 series etc. on a global scale and even if it doesn't, it selling in high volumes soon is a great success.

I don't say they will never sell the Model 3 in volumes, but I think they should focus a bit more on hyping up their current lineup, instead of going to the next thing to wait for. With Apple the currently new product is always the greatest and best, with Tesla it's always the one coming in 2 years (or more).

I am going to bet, that I can reserve a Model Y sooner, than I will be able to get my reserved Model 3.

I realize that people are already thinking about waiting for the Model Y, instead of buying an EV right now. They did the same with the Model 3 before. And sure, you could totally be right about the Model 3 outselling the 3 series etc. on a global scale and even if it doesn't, it selling in high volumes soon is a great success.

I don't say they will never sell the Model 3 in volumes, but I think they should focus a bit more on hyping up their current lineup, instead of going to the next thing to wait for. With Apple the currently new product is always the greatest and best, with Tesla it's always the one coming in 2 years (or more).

I am going to bet, that I can reserve a Model Y sooner, than I will be able to get my reserved Model 3.

I don't understand your post. They already have 450,000 pre-orders for the Model 3 so there is no reason to "hype" it. Let the other automakers waste money advertising.

• Love
Reactions: Brando and Olds442
I don't understand your post. They already have 450,000 pre-orders for the Model 3 so there is no reason to "hype" it. Let the other automakers waste money advertising.

450k pre orders before people have seen the Y. I remember Tesla anti selling the 3, because of people rather waiting for it. The impact of the Y on the 3 will be greater.

Which would not be an issue, if the Y would be kept secret until it’s out in 2020(or later). But it will be, if it’s promised with an overly optimistic timeframe.

450k pre orders before people have seen the Y. I remember Tesla anti selling the 3, because of people rather waiting for it. The impact of the Y on the 3 will be greater.

Which would not be an issue, if the Y would be kept secret until it’s out in 2020(or later). But it will be, if it’s promised with an overly optimistic timeframe.

I don't think Tesla will have any trouble finding buyers for 500K Model 3s per year and probably significantly more than that. This has been discussed in other threads, including this one: What's the ultimate demand for the Tesla Model 3?

The Model Y reveal -- whenever it happens -- should give Tesla a better sense of the relative demand for the 3 and Y, which would be helpful for deciding the capacity for the upcoming Model Y factory as well as gigafactories in China and Europe.

I don't think Tesla will have any trouble finding buyers for 500K Model 3s per year and probably significantly more than that. This has been discussed in other threads, including this one: What's the ultimate demand for the Tesla Model 3?

The Model Y reveal -- whenever it happens -- should give Tesla a better sense of the relative demand for the 3 and Y, which would be helpful for deciding the capacity for the upcoming Model Y factory as well as gigafactories in China and Europe.

Then we just disagree on that one. I don’t think they will even see enough demand for continuous 500k sales over 6 years. Unless they add a wagon and long wheelbase.

Right now they fill 2 years of demand in their home market which is about too end a 7500 dollar incentive. Not sure if that can be calculated up to global sales.