Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y tint pictures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally remembered to post pics of the car after I got the fronts tinted to match the backs. I inquired about getting the windshield done and they told me it was pointless. Might help with the heat somewhat, but with a Tesla, you just turn on the AC as you're getting ready to leave. Now that I've got my trusty Siri shortcut for the AC, it's a one-button push without having to wait for the car to wake up.

View attachment 566749 View attachment 566750 View attachment 566752 View attachment 566753

Hi, Im pretty new to Tesla's and would like to know more about "the Siri shortcut for the AC" please. Ive been using the Tesla app but never tried anything with Siri controls. Thanks

Hi, Im pretty new to Tesla's and would like to know more about "the Siri shortcut for the AC" please. Ive been using the Tesla app but never tried anything with Siri controls. Thanks
You can't use the official Tesla app, but there are others that work with shortcuts and automation. I have the Tesla Remote app, and have all kinds of shortcuts set up for setting the climate, opening/closing the charge port, open the frunk, open/close the hatch, etc.

• Helpful
Reactions: NorCal1
02047B7F-A3B0-4909-A95A-19326BEF94EF.jpeg

8267ACD8-07A9-4AE7-8349-2FCF41EA5B2F.jpeg

Tinted with clear ceramic tint on the front, sides and rear.

Clear on front and 20 all the way around.

Attachments

• AAD8769E-C2D5-4D0A-9D7C-DA6EF33E9D5C.jpeg
    AAD8769E-C2D5-4D0A-9D7C-DA6EF33E9D5C.jpeg
    474.4 KB · Views: 522
Last edited:
I ended up going with Llumar Pinnacle 35 on front windows and Air Blue 80 on rear windows, hatch, and front windshield. The factory rears metered at just above 20%. So glad I went with front windshield. I can hardly notice and don't seem to have noted any major difference with my polarized sunglasses on the drive home at 5pm into the setting sun.

The second pic shows the difference between the 35 and Air 80. The third pic is a direct view out the front windshield.

IMG-20200820-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20200820-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20200820-WA0004.jpg

I ended up going with Llumar Pinnacle 35 on front windows and Air Blue 80 on rear windows, hatch, and front windshield. The factory rears metered at just above 20%. So glad I went with front windshield. I can hardly notice and don't seem to have noted any major difference with my polarized sunglasses on the drive home at 5pm into the setting sun.

The second pic shows the difference between the 35 and Air 80. The third pic is a direct view out the front windshield.

View attachment 579207 View attachment 579208 View attachment 579209

Looks beautiful!

Metallic Blue w/ White Interior and in NJ where tinting the front the illegal....so I want something that won’t get attention but ‘blends’ with the rear stock tint.

Debating on 25, 30 or 35%...any advice?

Reactions: meh_
Metallic Blue w/ White Interior and in NJ where tinting the front the illegal....so I want something that won’t get attention but ‘blends’ with the rear stock tint.

Debating on 25, 30 or 35%...any advice?
The exact car I have, and I'm also in NJ. It's so annoying. It feels weird not having tint at all on my front windows as all my other cars has had front window tint. Curious to see what you end up doing.

Reactions: meh_
I just read through this whole thread. I'm getting a white/white MY. Sounds like I should go 25, 30, or 35% for the front and 70/80% on the windshield.

Can someone speak to the difference of brands/materials? Sounds like ceramic is a good choice on the windshield /roof. What do I need for the front windows? I hear there is differences in tint materials (metallic interfering with phones, etc).

Help?

I just read through this whole thread. I'm getting a white/white MY. Sounds like I should go 25, 30, or 35% for the front and 70/80% on the windshield.

Can someone speak to the difference of brands/materials? Sounds like ceramic is a good choice on the windshield /roof. What do I need for the front windows? I hear there is differences in tint materials (metallic interfering with phones, etc).

Help?

In today's world I would probably stick with a ceramic film. You might save a few bucks, but I highly doubt it's that crazy of a savings to go with a lower quality film. The roof already has some pretty good heat blocking, so if you're looking to save some money I would cut that out but get higher quality film on the front and side windows. Pretty much all the big guys make great films, Xpel, 3M, etc. Just don't go cheap on a budget film from them, get their top end, a large part of the cost is the labor anyway.

Edit: Also, with the white interior the film will look much lighter. I currently have 30 or 35% and will be getting 20 or 25% (whatever the film brand has in that range) because I can hardly tell my windows are tinted right now. There is massive heat rejection, but it's absolutely not limo dark or anything. I doubt going to 20% will even make it look very dark. 70 or 80% is fine on the front, I have 70% and you can't really tell it's even there.

In today's world I would probably stick with a ceramic film. You might save a few bucks, but I highly doubt it's that crazy of a savings to go with a lower quality film. The roof already has some pretty good heat blocking, so if you're looking to save some money I would cut that out but get higher quality film on the front and side windows. Pretty much all the big guys make great films, Xpel, 3M, etc. Just don't go cheap on a budget film from them, get their top end, a large part of the cost is the labor anyway.

Edit: Also, with the white interior the film will look much lighter. I currently have 30 or 35% and will be getting 20 or 25% (whatever the film brand has in that range) because I can hardly tell my windows are tinted right now. There is massive heat rejection, but it's absolutely not limo dark or anything. I doubt going to 20% will even make it look very dark. 70 or 80% is fine on the front, I have 70% and you can't really tell it's even there.
No problems with sunglasses correct? I didn't ask what material when I've had other cars tinted but everyone in this forum seems to be very opinionated, which is interesting to learn from!

No problems with sunglasses correct? I didn't ask what material when I've had other cars tinted but everyone in this forum seems to be very opinionated, which is interesting to learn from!

Nope, it's very light. If you're picturing like the Tesla roof glass dark, don't. I hardly notice it at night and in the day you don't at all (unless you compare it to glass that isn't tinted side by side). The interior is very bright still. The only issue might be polarized glasses, which I don't have, so I'm not sure how they might look with the film.... but just buy some cheaper ones if that is an issue ;)

• Funny
Reactions: KyleATMn

Yes, looks much lighter w/ white interior - I had it on my M3 and it looks much better w/ the black on my MY IMO.

Just my $0.02 but I wouldn't worry about tinting the roof. It seems to have pretty good heat blocking properties built in and will just be an added expense. Someone else on this forum did a meter test of all the windows (before/after tint) including the roof and it already seems to block a lot of heat without tint (he opted not to tint the roof too). I didn't tint mine because of the added expense and I also didn't want to dampen the viewing effects for rear passengers, however slight it might be. I would look for that Model Y thread if you're really curious to see some data.
I would love to see the data. Do you mind posting the link to the thread?

I did Rayno Nano Carbon Ceramic 35% all the way around, with the windshield getting Air 70%. Will be tinting the roof glass as well after a Tesla service appointment (alignment needs to be adjusted).

I would warn that the 35% looks slightly darker in these photos than it looked in person. It was bright and sunny LA day, and the human eye has much higher dynamic range than a camera sensor.

AD83FF12-FAF1-479B-BC28-F6C9F61AC49E.jpeg
6633CA0F-F380-4F2C-868D-CD8CC41FFB93.jpeg
8EAAD640-73A9-4BAD-9BED-86F256B882ED.jpeg
5B726CE1-CBF4-4CD0-B68F-336FFA15B074.jpeg
8B2B7C70-C160-4CA6-A528-8250F0EE2414.jpeg
E6047E56-5650-4E69-BF35-38B0DD4E4BC3.jpeg
2844EF32-3C28-4EB6-A7A9-562A476758C7.jpeg
A1914926-88FF-4C72-AC43-54A9F78AA96B.jpeg

I did Rayno Nano Carbon Ceramic 35% all the way around, with the windshield getting Air 70%. Will be tinting the roof glass as well after a Tesla service appointment (alignment needs to be adjusted).

I would warn that the 35% looks slightly darker in these photos than it looked in person. It was bright and sunny LA day, and the human eye has much higher dynamic range than a camera sensor.

View attachment 584267 View attachment 584268 View attachment 584269 View attachment 584270 View attachment 584271 View attachment 584272 View attachment 584276 View attachment 584281
This looks great! Would you mind breaking down the cost of what you did? + what is the roof going to cost you?

Reactions: bayol
This looks great! Would you mind breaking down the cost of what you did? + what is the roof going to cost you?
Thanks, very happy with it so far. It was a package deal inquiry so I don't have window by window breakdown but before asking for nano ceramic the estimate was $500 for a "full ceramic tint" (all doors, windshield, rear glass). They said they'd do the roof glass for an additional $100 if I was doing the full tint. Then I asked how much to go nano ceramic and it brought it all up by $200 to a total of $800. It was completed in ~5 hours. (Going back for the roof glass later)

• Helpful
Reactions: KyleATMn