Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y tint pictures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, very happy with it so far. It was a package deal inquiry so I don't have window by window breakdown but before asking for nano ceramic the estimate was $500 for a "full ceramic tint" (all doors, windshield, rear glass). They said they'd do the roof glass for an additional $100 if I was doing the full tint. Then I asked how much to go nano ceramic and it brought it all up by $200 to a total of $800. It was completed in ~5 hours. (Going back for the roof glass later)

Whats the difference between nano ceramic or just regular?

Anyone who got the windshield done notice a difference in terms of heat? That black dash gets crazy hot and impacts the AC quite a bit. I'm seriously considering it. It was 105 yesterday and I almost thought the air was broken until it finally cooled the cabin down. Any thoughts on windshield tint in general are appreciated.
Although it's much more expensive, photo sync shows temperature readings of all the competition and it always beats them hands down. We put it on our model X huge windshield & it really made a difference. It's so light that you'd be hard-pressed to even notice it's not clear at night. It has a transitions type guarantee for 5 years - besides its industry-leading ability to reject Heat.
But again .... pricy .... not for the frugal at heart

Hello!
Can someone correct me if i'm wrong, but I was informed that the back windows are not tinted but a Dark Tempered glass with no UV protection. If so I'm gonna do the Lightest tint on the back windows and 30 or 35 on the fronts. I mean the backs are already 24% so I'm scared to tint them (I don't want it too dark) but I have to if I want UV protection for my back seat passengers.

I did XPEL XR+...70% on the windshield, 20% front door windows and sunroof, 30% everywhere else. The 30% rear does make the back door windows a bit darker than the front doors, so 50% on the rear doors probably would have matched better. In the socal sun, with all the tint, the car still gets hot and when you are driving with direct sunlight beating on your face, you will still feel it. Overall, I do notice I do not need to leave the AC blowing at a high fan speed at 66 degrees for as long as I used to before the tint. Now, I generally have the AC on 4 at the most and set between 66-68. Once it cools down, then I lower it to 2.

For what it's worth, I've gotten ceramic tint in a few cars now and always notice a dramatic difference in heat coming through the windows while driving around in sunny SoCal. I just got my Y's window's tinted and went with 70% on the front. It's just such a large piece of glass and the shop wasn't concerned about installing it since they do a lot of Teslas.

I agree with @xtnvieira, 70% windshield tint makes a lot of difference on heat rejection imo (and this is in SoCal Inland Empire summer sun).

I did my fronts with 20% Crystalline and it looked great from outside. From the inside it ended up suffering from really badly from low angle haze ... many times during the day it would look like I was driving through forest fire or that I needed to clean the windows ... drove me nuts ... had them "downgraded" today to non-IR blocking tint ... much better.

For all of the California residents, have you gotten any trouble from police for having tint lower than the legal limit? I have a black interior MY and am looking to do what Barrygold did (Post #96) but do not want any trouble. Let me know what tint you have up front if you respond too please

For all of the California residents, have you gotten any trouble from police for having tint lower than the legal limit? I have a black interior MY and am looking to do what Barrygold did (Post #96) but do not want any trouble. Let me know what tint you have up front if you respond too please

It's not the police I'd be worried about. It's the ambulance chasing lawyers if you ever get in a major accident. Imagine trying to defend 50% windshield tint to a jury in a court room.

• Informative
Reactions: vlee and Maryland
Hello!
Can someone correct me if i'm wrong, but I was informed that the back windows are not tinted but a Dark Tempered glass with no UV protection. If so I'm gonna do the Lightest tint on the back windows and 30 or 35 on the fronts. I mean the backs are already 24% so I'm scared to tint them (I don't want it too dark) but I have to if I want UV protection for my back seat passengers.

Correct, except for the rear window which has some UV protection already since I believe it is laminated.

@TESLORIAN ... I ended up with 20% (non-IR blocking) on the front windows (black interior). I was going to go with 40%, but thought it would look better if the front and back matched. It does look decent IMO, though I really wasn't going for that whole "stealth/nobody can see me" thing. It just matched ...

On a practical level, I wish the back windows were at like 30%. At night with aging eyes, 20% can be a little too much. Am I worried about the cops in SoCal? Yeah, but I don't dwell on it. I've had the car 3+ months and haven't installed my front plate, yet (lazy). These aren't acts of defiance, and I don't feel like I'm begging for a stop as I'm sure they have bigger fish to fry. If they pull me over, I'll wind the windows down and tell him they're stuck - software error ...

20% front side windows, everything else OEM

Attachments

• IMG_20200816_141027.jpg
    IMG_20200816_141027.jpg
    566.8 KB · Views: 1,453
75B1CC8B-A747-4EFD-9793-DB8248B47868.jpeg
Since I’m in NJ where it’s illegal to tint the front windows, I decided to leave OEM the rears and do Xpel Prime XR Black 30% for the Front and Xpel Prime XR Black 70% for the front windshield. Very happy with getting the windshield done. Total cost was $335 (front and ws). If I wasn’t in NJ, I would have gotten 20% for the front windows.

I’m very happy with the Xpel Prime XR product as it’s (imho) better than 3M Ceramic and ‘almost’ as good as 3M Crystalline for much cheaper. Shops were quoting me $550 for the 3M Crystalline just for those 3 areas.

Also...the OEM have a slight hint of Brown/Amber so I don’t think anyone will get an exact match unless you also tint the rears...I’m pretty close and probably only I or enthusiasts will tell a difference. The Xpel Prime XR Black is a true Black....

Reactions: TsunamY