Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y tint pictures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone who got the windshield done notice a difference in terms of heat? That black dash gets crazy hot and impacts the AC quite a bit. I'm seriously considering it. It was 105 yesterday and I almost thought the air was broken until it finally cooled the cabin down. Any thoughts on windshield tint in general are appreciated.
I got 70% 3M Crystalline on mine and it does seem to help. If I hold my hand to it in GA summer sun, I can feel some heat but it’s not hot. The dash doesn’t get untouchable hot and the car seems be able to cool quite quickly. I got the tint done 1st week so didn’t have too much time to see before hand. I also got 35% on the sides and back windshield. I didn’t get the roof done as I am certain there is good thermal rejection (I saw a video on a test of the Model S roof and it blocked 99%+ of the heat, more so than a metal roof), so I’ve assumed the Y would likely be similar.
Overall I would say the car stays cooler than my last couple of (BMW) cars that did not have tint all around.

• Helpful
Reactions: GOVA
I have some questions too.

Does the 70% tint on the windshield affect visibility at night at all? Does it improve it as far as headlight glare goes? I'm getting older and headlights are starting to bother me.

With 70%, is it obvious that the windshield is tinted?
I have 70% 3M Crystalline and you can’t see it, doesn’t impact invisibility day or night that I can detect.

Anyone who got one shade lighter before limo tint shade (darkest) for their front windows wished they have gotten two shades lighter?
I’m getting my tint tomorrow and debating between how dark I want to go. I live in SoCal so any shades is pretty much illegal at the discretion of the cop.

Anyone who got one shade lighter before limo tint shade (darkest) for their front windows wished they have gotten two shades lighter?
I’m getting my tint tomorrow and debating between how dark I want to go. I live in SoCal so any shades is pretty much illegal at the discretion of the cop.

If it’s a legit tint shop they’ll have samples to view and a heat lamp. 70% on the front is becoming normal and doesn’t effect light that much but definitely does a good job on the heat

I finally remembered to post pics of the car after I got the fronts tinted to match the backs. I inquired about getting the windshield done and they told me it was pointless. Might help with the heat somewhat, but with a Tesla, you just turn on the AC as you're getting ready to leave. Now that I've got my trusty Siri shortcut for the AC, it's a one-button push without having to wait for the car to wake up.

IMG_2607.JPG
IMG_2605.JPG
IMG_2596.JPG
IMG_2597.JPG

I did XPEL XR+...70% on the windshield, 20% front door windows and sunroof, 30% everywhere else. The 30% rear does make the back door windows a bit darker than the front doors, so 50% on the rear doors probably would have matched better. In the socal sun, with all the tint, the car still gets hot and when you are driving with direct sunlight beating on your face, you will still feel it. Overall, I do notice I do not need to leave the AC blowing at a high fan speed at 66 degrees for as long as I used to before the tint. Now, I generally have the AC on 4 at the most and set between 66-68. Once it cools down, then I lower it to 2.

Out of curiosity, why do people tint their front windshield v. using a sunshade? Assuming all of the other windows have a high quality tint, and a sunshade is used while parked outdoors, what's the advantage of also tinting the front windshield? Is it simply to eliminate the inconvenience of having a sunshade that needs to be stored away, or is there another reason, e.g., having a tint reduces the strain on the car's HVAC? I wonder this because - say your windshield needs to be replaced, wouldn't you then have to pay to have the windshield re-tinted?

Reactions: CO_MY
Out of curiosity, why do people tint their front windshield v. using a sunshade? Assuming all of the other windows have a high quality tint, and a sunshade is used while parked outdoors, what's the advantage of also tinting the front windshield? Is it simply to eliminate the inconvenience of having a sunshade that needs to be stored away, or is there another reason, e.g., having a tint reduces the strain on the car's HVAC? I wonder this because - say your windshield needs to be replaced, wouldn't you then have to pay to have the windshield re-tinted?

Personally, I've barely ever actually used sunshades when I've bought them. 99% of the time they sit in the trunk. With tint you also keep out UV rays (if you go ceramic) and have that benefit at all times when driving which means it's easier to keep your car cool on the road.

Reactions: jimmym1981
Personally, I've barely ever actually used sunshades when I've bought them. 99% of the time they sit in the trunk. With tint you also keep out UV rays (if you go ceramic) and have that benefit at all times when driving which means it's easier to keep your car cool on the road.

Thank you for the explanation. Sounds like it's a little bit of both - it is inconvenient to use a sunshade, and there are temperature/heat benefits with tinting the windows, windshield, and the roof (as discussed in another thread), and which aren't addressed by a sunshade.

Ive had three tint shops whom talked me out of windshield tint claiming there is barely any additional heat rejection at 70% tint over just the windshield alone. Any darker than 70% is begging for trouble. Windshield tint is more trouble and cost for what its worth supposedly.

For what it's worth, I've gotten ceramic tint in a few cars now and always notice a dramatic difference in heat coming through the windows while driving around in sunny SoCal. I just got my Y's window's tinted and went with 70% on the front. It's just such a large piece of glass and the shop wasn't concerned about installing it since they do a lot of Teslas.

Ive had three tint shops whom talked me out of windshield tint claiming there is barely any additional heat rejection at 70% tint over just the windshield alone. Any darker than 70% is begging for trouble. Windshield tint is more trouble and cost for what its worth supposedly.

I agree with @xtnvieira, 70% windshield tint makes a lot of difference on heat rejection imo (and this is in SoCal Inland Empire summer sun).

Reactions: jimmym1981
For what it's worth, I've gotten ceramic tint in a few cars now and always notice a dramatic difference in heat coming through the windows while driving around in sunny SoCal. I just got my Y's window's tinted and went with 70% on the front. It's just such a large piece of glass and the shop wasn't concerned about installing it since they do a lot of Teslas.

I agree with @xtnvieira, 70% windshield tint makes a lot of difference on heat rejection imo (and this is in SoCal Inland Empire summer sun).

Thank you both for your input. I commute to the Inland Empire as well, so I will consider getting the windshield tint, along with the window and roof tint, whenever it is my order is made (LR RWD).

Reactions: RoBoRaT
Thank you both for your input. I commute to the Inland Empire as well, so I will consider getting the windshield tint, along with the window and roof tint, whenever it is my order is made (LR RWD).

Just my $0.02 but I wouldn't worry about tinting the roof. It seems to have pretty good heat blocking properties built in and will just be an added expense. Someone else on this forum did a meter test of all the windows (before/after tint) including the roof and it already seems to block a lot of heat without tint (he opted not to tint the roof too). I didn't tint mine because of the added expense and I also didn't want to dampen the viewing effects for rear passengers, however slight it might be. I would look for that Model Y thread if you're really curious to see some data.

Reactions: FatherTo1 and Za_c
I did my fronts with 20% Crystalline and it looked great from outside. From the inside it ended up suffering from really badly from low angle haze ... many times during the day it would look like I was driving through forest fire or that I needed to clean the windows ... drove me nuts ... had them "downgraded" today to non-IR blocking tint ... much better.

Insurers may vary but USAA paid to re-tint mine with windshield replacement.