Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y tow bar electrics not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m booked in for Thursday so will let you know. I have found and after market plug and play electrics kit that intercepts the plugs to the light clusters and picks up power from under the seat. It’s for a M3 but don’t see why it would not work And it states no programming is required so I think it’s just an tap. I should not have to do this but it might be a necessary option.

So far everything has been down to the wire with this motor.

I’m booked in for Thursday so will let you know. I have found and after market plug and play electrics kit that intercepts the plugs to the light clusters and picks up power from under the seat. It’s for a M3 but don’t see why it would not work And it states no programming is required so I think it’s just an tap. I should not have to do this but it might be a necessary option.

So far everything has been down to the wire with this motor.
Gary, was your towbar fitted in factory or after sales?

My car arrived at the dock but never made it to me. There was an inverter issue at the dock. It got shipped to the LHR service centre for repair. I was going to get two bar fitted after I got the car but what Covid impact in China (feel for those guys) it got tight so they agreed to fit the towbar at the service centre. A week later I got car. The car will be exactly two weeks old to me when it goes back to the service centre for the second time, this time Reading.

My car arrived at the dock but never made it to me. There was an inverter issue at the dock. It got shipped to the LHR service centre for repair. I was going to get two bar fitted after I got the car but what Covid impact in China (feel for those guys) it got tight so they agreed to fit the towbar at the service centre. A week later I got car. The car will be exactly two weeks old to me when it goes back to the service centre for the second time, this time Reading.
Ouch. I'd be a bit cautious of doing mods yourself though in case it invalidates any warranty? I'm guessing they don't have any loan vehicles with towbars they could let you have as a gesture of goodwill.... Unlikely!

Just had a thought but no reward. Powered down the car from the screen waited 5 and powered back up but still nothing. Had a probe with a multimeter but nothing showing on any of the terminals.

As for the aftermarket kit, it takes power from the rear seats and has plugs to intercept the connections to the light clusters. The only wire that seems to need a Tap is for the fog light and I don’t need that at the mo

Just had a thought but no reward. Powered down the car from the screen waited 5 and powered back up but still nothing. Had a probe with a multimeter but nothing showing on any of the terminals.

As for the aftermarket kit, it takes power from the rear seats and has plugs to intercept the connections to the light clusters. The only wire that seems to need a Tap is for the fog light and I don’t need that at the mo
If it's fully reversible I guess you have nothing much to lose!

My MY is in Reading for tow fitting and they've just phoned up to say the control unit in MY built after 28 March hasn't been fitted due to the chip shortage. They are going to get the part but they don't know how long it will be...

Oh that does not bode well! They MUST have fitted the module for me right? Else how can they hand it over without telling me its not working. I'll find out tomorrow I guess.

Looks like plan B may need to be implemented.... I'll give them a shout to see if it fits.

It's annoying as you can't order the towbar until you have possession of the car. So presumably Tesla know when it was made and so could either prevent you from ordering it, or warn that an extra part is required before it can be fitted.

So my booking with the service centre (Reading too) has just been bounced to 22 Aug...

"Remote technician has done over the air checks and the lefthand body controller is faulty, on back order with no ETA"

How can they have tested it when the towbar was installed? And if they knew it was an issue why not say on day leaves me very little time to find a solution before we leave.

I've just picked mine up after the failed fit, and now there is are 2 bits missing. Wonder what else they forgot to put back on.

Attachments

• IMG_0599.jpeg
    IMG_0599.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0600.jpeg
    IMG_0600.jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 60
So my booking with the service centre (Reading too) has just been bounced to 22 Aug...

"Remote technician has done over the air checks and the lefthand body controller is faulty, on back order with no ETA"

How can they have tested it when the towbar was installed? And if they knew it was an issue why not say on day leaves me very little time to find a solution before we leave.
The technician I spoke to said it worked on his test box to test the lights on Friday. Issue is that with no memory, it loses the setting after an hour or so.

[B]looseend[/B] so do you have the towbar fitted but with no active electrics then like james & I? Sounds like a known issue and I wonder why there are no modules available, all used up fixing faults I guess.

Just had a rant at Tesla to no avail. Time to part with yet more dosh and try plan B.