Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Towbar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Just to say the Model Y tow bar is now available and in stock on the Tesla Online shop!
1645193826072.png

I choose to order without VIN as my March 1st collection Model Y was not an option but you could order without VIN. I have then received and email to provide VIN to continue with the order.

Apologies for the ignorance, but is there a difference between a towbar and a tow hitch? I've never needed to tow anything before, but I want to get a trailer for lugging around building/smallholding stuff that's too dirty to go in the car.

Can you stick this on a Y-Perf? Page doesn't explicitly say not...

I can't remember if you were part of this conversation on the MYP Waiting Room thread, but there was a point when Tesla texted us all asking if we wanted the tow hitch (again, not sure if this is the same thing) to be added to our orders.

Apologies for the ignorance, but is there a difference between a towbar and a tow hitch? I've never needed to tow anything before, but I want to get a trailer for lugging around building/smallholding stuff that's too dirty to go in the car.

I can't remember if you were part of this conversation on the MYP Waiting Room thread, but there was a point when Tesla texted us all asking if we wanted the tow hitch (again, not sure if this is the same thing) to be added to our orders.
Tow hitch is the American name, tow bar the European name and they look different but essentially do the same job.

• Informative
Reactions: DeejUK
Tow hitch is the American name, tow bar the European name and they look different but essentially do the same job.
while they may do the same job BUYER BEWARE ..the tow hitch is more of a global standard and many accessories will fit it, i splashed the cash on a tow bar package and i also bought a tesla OEM bike rack . THEY DO NOT FIT and are NOT COMPATIBLE, iam now stuck with a OEM tesla bike rack that will not fit my tesla model y, which has that round hitch not a 2 inch square. i have been looking for an adaptor but haven't found one

Attachments

• Screenshot (1207).png
    Screenshot (1207).png
    274.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot (1206).png
    Screenshot (1206).png
    72.8 KB · Views: 46
while they may do the same job BUYER BEWARE ..the tow hitch is more of a global standard and many accessories will fit it, i splashed the cash on a tow bar package and i also bought a tesla OEM bike rack . THEY DO NOT FIT and are NOT COMPATIBLE, iam now stuck with a OEM tesla bike rack that will not fit my tesla model y, which has that round hitch not a 2 inch square. i have been looking for an adaptor but haven't found one
There are a few standards (ball size and can also be an "eye") globally but the one Tesla fit in the UK is pretty much the run of the mill for over here as far as what you can attach to it.

I’d be surprised if the towing adaptor (to avoid the use of ball, or hitch) bought in the uk didn’t work with tesla accessories also bought in the uk (and this is the uk subforum). It’s a fair to raise that if you’re importing then you need to check compatibility as a general point, but that’s going to be the same whatever make of car you might own

I’ve already replied to your FB post, but I figure I’ll add my opinion here, too.

Your MY has a UK spec and fitted tow bar. You have purchased an accessory from the US Tesla store not realising the UK/EU and the US use different style tow bars. You’re now having a moan and blaming Tesla because your UK spec tow bar isn’t compatible with a US bought tow bar accessory.

This is not Tesla’s fault. You should have done your due diligence and considered why the product you purchased from the US store wasn’t available in the UK store.

He bought a tow bar accessory from the US store that’s designed for the US spec tow bar. This isn’t compatible with the UK spec tow bar on his car.
In fairness it looks like they're located in Trinidad and Tobago and so probably have to import everything. I doubt you can even buy the US accessory in the UK so for most it wouldn't happen unless buying off ebay

I'm not on Fb so not sure where that is shown, but it's clearly not the UK website as it's priced in dollars. I think false advertising is a bit stong if you bought that in the UK as an import, and I'm not exactly known for defending Tesla, I guess if it was imported then Tesla should have confirmed. I just looked on the UK store and there's a bicycle carrier that looks different but not a lot else or something that looks the Uk equivvalent to the one pictured.

I'm not on Fb so not sure where that is shown, but it's clearly not the UK website as it's priced in dollars. I think false advertising is a bit stong if you bought that in the UK as an import, and I'm not exactly known for defending Tesla, I guess if it was imported then Tesla should have confirmed. I just looked on the UK store and there's a bicycle carrier that looks different but not a lot else or something that looks the Uk equivvalent to the one pictured.
It’s a post on the public Tesla Owners Club UK group. I appreciate the poster’s brand new account states they’re based in Trinidad and Tobago, however my guess would be that’s GIGO.

Thing is, even if you buy the parts, Tesla have to fit it, code the car etc. UK price includes that. Why would you buy only the parts? You could try fit it yourself I guess. I don’t think the uk price is bad including fitting.

Thing is, even if you buy the parts, Tesla have to fit it, code the car etc. UK price includes that. Why would you buy only the parts? You could try fit it yourself I guess. I don’t think the uk price is bad including fitting.
See, I don’t think this is the issue. My understanding is he has a UK Model Y with an officially fitted UK spec tow bar. He has then purchased an accessory from the US that is not compatible with the UK tow bar. It’s as simple as that.

Reactions: Adopado