Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also; I ordered the car, I’m paying for the car, I’m registering it in my wife’s name, she can’t make the pick up. Is it a problem for me to go collect the car instead?
Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Ive done the same thing last September. I bought it under my tesla account and paid in full. Even though she was present, all they asked was to see my licence at which point I had to double check that with them that it was indeed being registered under her name. They never asked anything from her and also from both times ive done a collection, no one ever asked for any proof of insurance. Do bear in mind that you would of uploaded her driving licence online when you put her name down as the person which will be registered with the DVLA.

Im not saying this is set in stone but I do wonder how its done for those that have their cars delivered🤔

Reactions: VX Foxy
Just got a text: "Tesla Update - Your Model Y is ready to be scheduled at our unique delivery event on Saturday, 19 February at Horizon Cruise Terminal, Southampton!" and a chance to choose a timeslot. Not on my doorstep really (I'm in SW London...)
Same here, we are north of Northamptonshire. Not going to drive 4 hours each way, with a kid at the back. Sticking with my original Leicester Space Centre pickup point

Reactions: Stuart1979
I have been on call with Tesla earlier to find out why I did not get the invite.
He said a very very very (he used 3 verys!) small number of orders were invited to the so called special events and that it is all random. He said it may be because I have a trade-in, I might not have been invited. When I pestered him with more when can I expect question, all he said was he can guarantee that it will be before the end of March!
I did however ask him if I can a vin swap with someone who doesn't want the Feb delivery. He said that can happen, but no guarantees because the selection happens based on "various" factors and it will be automatic. I think they would be in a far better place if they somehow took inputs whether someone is willing to travel and pick up in Feb and only give the option to them rather than randomly giving people that opportunity to people who do not want.

He said it will be a few days before the next set of people are allocated dates. At least I will stop refreshing my order page every 15 mins.
“Very very very few” all on this forum thread it seems.

Same here, we are north of Northamptonshire. Not going to drive 4 hours each way, with a kid at the back. Sticking with my original Leicester Space Centre pickup point
I’m sticking to my original Bluewater pick up. So there will be a nice blue with black on geminis at the dock for someone.

I sincerely hope there’s something special involved for the people going to Southampton. At the moment it just seems like a typical pick up experience but with the added inconvenience of having to get there. I’ll happily wait another month for mine.

Reactions: Rooster6655
Unless the "very very very" few is a lie, it does seem random. I ordered November 3rd. And tweaked my order on the 6th. And yet I get pickup 15th Feb in Bristol. Maybe it's to do with my config which is Blue and hardly anyone seems to have chosen blue.
Mine was ordered 15th October - Blue as well - got an invite but will not attend. Not the right location and not the right timing. And I need a 22 plate ;)

Unless the "very very very" few is a lie, it does seem random. I ordered November 3rd. And tweaked my order on the 6th. And yet I get pickup 15th Feb in Bristol. Maybe it's to do with my config which is Blue and hardly anyone seems to have chosen blue.
I ordered blue (with standard black trim, standard wheels and EAP) on the first day so it does seem random. If you wanted a March plate I'd be happy to go to Bristol (my brother lives near there)and take your reservation but there doesn't seem a way to do that through Tesla.

In all my years of buying new cars (German brands) i have never seen such a mess caused by a marketing team. When it was apparent that cars would be ready middle of Feb the obvious choice for me would be to do a launch on 1 March with the new plate and a media event day. Cars issued in accordance of order date in a nice orderly Q. 😎

Then again, I dont work for Tesla so will wait for my date and not get annoyed.

Your car is registered normally a day before you arrive as they cannot assign a number plate without the registration, and they need to prep the car.If they have plate making facilities on site, it maybe possible hours before you arrive….
When you walk outside, your plate is already on the car, so it’s registered. You could phone up a few day prior, perhaps, but the car may be registered.

I ordered blue (with standard black trim, standard wheels and EAP) on the first day so it does seem random. If you wanted a March plate I'd be happy to go to Bristol (my brother lives near there)and take your reservation but there doesn't seem a way to do that through Tesla.
Indeed, would happily swap (definitely need a March registration) but not sure there is a way to do that. My order is identical to yours :)

Reactions: magnard
Someone should start a poll - collect Feb22 against March 22.
Collect local against special event.
I have asked them what is in the special event for the customer as if it is a finger buffet on a cruise ship forget it!
If its £1000 off my final invoice ....maybe?
The car would be worth less, that’s for sure, probably £500-800. In the current market though no real disadvantage. CAP figures are there for dealers, most helpless look at the warranty a March 2022 plate with 20,000 miles is worth less than a feb 2021 plate with 15,000 miles…

The thing is that many of us get the feeling we are the lunch whilst being invited for lunch. Personally, I think that keeping your your original VIN/car and delaying out a week for the reg changeover is not an unreasonable request and is what the regular trade gear up to near this time in the UK at least and usually its what the dealer recommends albeit knowingly they know its what most knowledgeable people aim for.
Can you not pay in full, and not register, Tesla have your money, so why do they worry?

I’m sticking to my original Bluewater pick up. So there will be a nice blue with black on geminis at the dock for someone.

I sincerely hope there’s something special involved for the people going to Southampton. At the moment it just seems like a typical pick up experience but with the added inconvenience of having to get there. I’ll happily wait another month for mine.
What? You mean a few cold cocktail sausages a cup of watered down coffee and maybe a Tesla swag bag with a black t-shirt for a 6 Yr old doesn't count as special. 😂😂😂

Reactions: Stuart1979