Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's no evidence of a lease biase but I offer these observations. Its likely that the lease companies will have large blocks of reservations allocated around the time that ordering is open to the public (perhaps before), so it follows thst they will make up a lot of the early orders. Queues are also based on spec, so those orders will also be mixed in with cash orders.

Sometimes those who order a lease car quite late seem to get them quickly. I've presumed that's because the lease company already had a car of that spec on order that was not assigned to a customer yet (perhaps a late cancellation).
It's important to differentiate between brokers and funders when discussing this. The big funders (who provide deals to the hundreds of lease brokers out there) placed thousands of preorders, with delivery constraints. Probably hire companies too. Tesla want to deliver large numbers of cars, the funders want those cars out making money for them asap.

I'm not saying this is right or wrong, or that there is a 'bias', but Tesla are acting like you should expect a business to act. They're not your friend.

Buying a car in it's first quarter of release is always slightly risky in one way or another. Add onto that all of the economic and supply strains the world is dealing with right now and you have a perfect storm for potential disappointment really.

When funders place large pre-orders for vehicles, they often negotiate preferential rates, and they often agree "penalties" for the manufacturer for late deliveries. With that in mind, my guess would be that Tesla are divvying up vast numbers of cars and splitting them up for these corporate customers and end user customers in a way that they think protects them from financial penalty, without pissing off too many of us. Sometimes that works out for us, sometimes not.

Reactions: roadcred and foxtru
Very sad to see a drop off on this thread. It must mean that most Model Y orders have either been satisfied or got firm EDDs.
I am an early October 15 customer and also a January 2022 customer. I still only have the 15 - 29 March delivery band and when I speak or chat to CS the best they can tell me is there has been no firm allocation of my cars, no explanation, no apology, no customer service! They are about to lose 2 orders from me! If you read through this thread there appears to be a bias towards orders through leasing companies, orders being collected outside London, ie Newcastle, Manchester, Bristol, Southampton. In fact I have only seen one Model Y in London and that was in Kensington this morning? Is this theory correct?
Hi, I have ordered via Lex Lease and in London but in the same boat as you. I have been told I have a car allocated but only given March as an estimate. I have tried to ask for a fixed date but they wont give me one and say the VIN number will be given approx 10 days before delivery. They also said it would be home delivery or Bluewater but wouldnt say which

I’m a salary sacrifice order, I originally ordered a Q4 Vorsprung in July 21 they still have no idea when it could be built never mind delivered, I managed to secure a model Y “stock” order which is due to dock 11/12th of March, I placed the order last month and extremely happy only downside as it was a stock order I couldn’t modify it, so white/black/Gemini if I was to swap out the wheels I’d be looking at a Q2 delivery

Reactions: roadcred and foxtru
Very sad to see a drop off on this thread. It must mean that most Model Y orders have either been satisfied or got firm EDDs.
I am an early October 15 customer and also a January 2022 customer. I still only have the 15 - 29 March delivery band and when I speak or chat to CS the best they can tell me is there has been no firm allocation of my cars, no explanation, no apology, no customer service! They are about to lose 2 orders from me! If you read through this thread there appears to be a bias towards orders through leasing companies, orders being collected outside London, ie Newcastle, Manchester, Bristol, Southampton. In fact I have only seen one Model Y in London and that was in Kensington this morning? Is this theory correct?
Same boat as you, I’ve already paid for the car as of 2 weeks ago (they had requested payment so naturally I thought I must be closer to getting the car) estimated delivery date now shows 11th till 25th, read on Facebook about someone who ordered same spec as mine last week getting delivery on the 2nd of March, it’s really poor showing from Tesla but doubt they care

Reactions: roadcred
Same boat as you, I’ve already paid for the car as of 2 weeks ago (they had requested payment so naturally I thought I must be closer to getting the car) estimated delivery date now shows 11th till 25th, read on Facebook about someone who ordered same spec as mine last week getting delivery on the 2nd of March, it’s really poor showing from Tesla but doubt they care
From the same pickup location? If so, that is poor. If not, then it sounds like they're doing as they said. Delivery time affected by order date, spec & pickup location. So a bit of geographical luck is involved.

From the same pickup location? If so, that is poor. If not, then it sounds like they're doing as they said. Delivery time affected by order date, spec & pickup location. So a bit of geographical luck is involved.
To be fair I’m not sure about pick up location, but I do think they should make better effort to deliver customers their cars, I had originally picked Brent Cross as my pick up location but now I’m being told that once I am given a date I’ll have bluewater as an option. I live in north west London so that is a bit of a journey

Just to offer some balance here I ordered a LR last year, when I saw it getting towards Feb Delivery I changed the colour which seemed to slow it down for a week or so, so then (as I have a 22 plate ready, fickle I know!) I changed the order to Performance (happy to wait till June or beyond) which is what I secretly desired.

I did not contact anyone at Tesla just changed online as I thought I might keep my position in the queue so to speak but after speaking to the Tesla guys on a LR Test drive recently I got the impression that each time those orders are cancelled and new order placed.

So what I'm getting at is that some lucky LR orders may have their spec appear sooner than they had expected. No rocket science here just a lot going on and id always expect the lease co's to put in som big orders so be patient guys, car was amazing on the Test, very tempted to change back to LR ; 20's were no issue for me, and that's coming from a Jaguar XF air suspension and RS6 before that! The car is a winner and everyone wants one! Don't think you'll regret it!

Reactions: PrGrPa
It's important to differentiate between brokers and funders when discussing this. The big funders (who provide deals to the hundreds of lease brokers out there) placed thousands of preorders, with delivery constraints. Probably hire companies too. Tesla want to deliver large numbers of cars, the funders want those cars out making money for them asap.

I'm not saying this is right or wrong, or that there is a 'bias', but Tesla are acting like you should expect a business to act. They're not your friend.

Buying a car in it's first quarter of release is always slightly risky in one way or another. Add onto that all of the economic and supply strains the world is dealing with right now and you have a perfect storm for potential disappointment really.

When funders place large pre-orders for vehicles, they often negotiate preferential rates, and they often agree "penalties" for the manufacturer for late deliveries. With that in mind, my guess would be that Tesla are divvying up vast numbers of cars and splitting them up for these corporate customers and end user customers in a way that they think protects them from financial penalty, without pissing off too many of us. Sometimes that works out for us, sometimes not.
Tesla doesn't give any discount whatsoever, not even for large orders, lease companies etc... For them it makes no difference delivering a car to an individual cash buyer, or someone who signed a lease deal

Do you know that for a fact? Because I’ve seen and heard to the contrary.

They didn't give a discount to Hertz and Elon has repeatedly itreated on conference calls they "don't do discounts" when asked something along those lines. I know because I listen to every conference call, usually more than once:

They don't have a demand problem, so there's absolutely no reason for them to do so.

They didn't give a discount to Hertz and Elon has repeatedly itreated on conference calls they "don't do discounts" when asked something along those lines. I know because I listen to every conference call, usually more than once:

They don't have a demand problem, so there's absolutely no reason for them to do so.
Maybe some Chinese whispers going on but I can’t think why funders would say this if it’s not true. Unless they’re taking an L to shift stock but I can’t think why they would possibly need to do that when Tesla are saying there is so much demand.

Personally I take elons tweets with a pinch of salt, but not denying the possibility you’re right given this has been mentioned in earnings calls. That said, this is how lease funders have always operated on our side of the big blue sea.

Outside of end of quarter deals they did previously what sort of discounts have you heard of?
The people I've spoken to at Zenith and Lex have told me that due to them placing big orders for end of last year going into this quarter, they are passing discounts on to their customers to shift numbers. As above, maybe this is poor communication on their part and they're actually taking the hit because they've got stock and want it gone quickly, but that's definitely not how it was described to me. They've also told me this is partly why there has been a (bigger than usually expected) difference between the monthly figures of PCH from funders vs PCP from Tesla (not to do with predicted RV which is what I quizzed them on) 🤷‍♂️👍

Anecdotally, this does tally with a big difference in cost between funders who have stock they ordered last year vs those are ordering now on behalf of customers.

Reactions: Rooster6655
Had CS on the phone earlier - told me likely delivery date 20th March (9-23 March range on the account page) at Bluewater, and wouldn't tell me on which boat the car is right now. I realised afterwards 20th March is a Sunday, so not sure if that was correct - do they deliver on Sundays?

You just have to bare with it or as you say cancel (they won't mind either way). There is no consistency either way though.

I was also an early order cash buyer and collecting tomorrow and turned down two February delivery offers.

The thing grinds me is that there is no communication from them for a long time then 7 days before collection give me the final invoice for 59k with states must be paid 7 days prior to delivery. Im limited to 20k transfers per day, they were not the only ones that needed money transferred. Saturday, Sunday and Monday counts as a day. 4 days before collection, Im cutting it fine and they are pestering me for the last payment or risk losing delivery allocation.

After all is paid, I just get bombarded with calls and text messages in regards to collecting! ... Its a bit of all or nothing but its first world problems imho.
Exactly the same for me.Refused two Feb deliveries. Cash buyer, Southampton pickup, nothing , then all last minute. I must say that this forum did make me more twitchy. Pick up Wednesday. Red/black geminis( for softer ride lol). Big companies, if they were a person are called Sociopaths. Only small companies have to make more effort. You can’t please all the people…

i too ordered on 15th Oct B/B/20. I was told by my lease company they could take over the order which meant i wouldn't lose my position in the queue. When i handed over to Lease company at start of Jan, they issued a new RN and cancelled my original. I've seen at least 5 this weekend around SW/S London. All with gemini wheels. two of my friends have got their W/W/19 ordered on Nov by lease (OctopusEV). I blame the lease company for feeding me rubbish else would've handed it over to them earlier. I was told I have been VIN matched 2 weeks ago with EDD Mid March. VIN matched means nothing to me until i get that SMS with delivery date. Note sure if we can say if lease bias exists, it surely feels like it does at this point......until i get that sms and we all love Tesla again.

Reactions: roadcred
The people I've spoken to at Zenith and Lex have told me that due to them placing big orders for end of last year going into this quarter, they are passing discounts on to their customers to shift numbers. As above, maybe this is poor communication on their part and they're actually taking the hit because they've got stock and want it gone quickly, but that's definitely not how it was described to me. They've also told me this is partly why there has been a (bigger than usually expected) difference between the monthly figures of PCH from funders vs PCP from Tesla (not to do with predicted RV which is what I quizzed them on) 🤷‍♂️👍

Anecdotally, this does tally with a big difference in cost between funders who have stock they ordered last year vs those are ordering now on behalf of customers.
I can't comment on how the PCH and PCP financials work out as I haven't looked into that part relative to the purchase price.

Regarding them getting a discount at the end of the year, with every other auto manufacturer they probably do get a substantial discount but even without that then they are going to have a profit margin and if they wanted to they could reduce the price and take the hit as you said, it would make sense if they had too much stock and not enough demand but I am not sure that is going to be the case right now on this newly released model.