Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the value on myus Do you put in just the item value $289 or add us courier and (sales tax)
Just the value of item value! To the poster who mentioned a $135 delivery fee - cant believe they charging so much for delivery to UK direct?? Surely that must include pre-paid customs charges? If that doesnt, then its cheaper to use myUS indirectly as you'll only get stung at customs and admin!

Last week Tesla confirmed home delivery date of 21st, leasing company only just got their pants on today and told me what I already knew - but at least gave me the reg. Features '2XS' - which sounds exactly how I will be driving it! So just updated insurance which was easy but trying to get GAP insurance but the non-grata Meerkats and the rotund singing man don't know the Y exists? Anyone know a good place for GAP?

Last week Tesla confirmed home delivery date of 21st, leasing company only just got their pants on today and told me what I already knew - but at least gave me the reg. Features '2XS' - which sounds exactly how I will be driving it! So just updated insurance which was easy but trying to get GAP insurance but the non-grata Meerkats and the rotund singing man don't know the Y exists? Anyone know a good place for GAP?
Try calling ALA or total loss gap. Some will request you call them instead of doing it online due to value of the car

Does anyone have an up to date checklist when collecting the car to share?
Other than the actual checks (the PDF already suggested is comprehensive) my thoughts are:

1st thing: Move-car-to / queue-for a Supercharger stall whilst you are sorting yourself out, and setting your choices. Then do your PDI there. Assuming 30% charge and you live some distance away you might be 20 minutes charging up(*). If there is another Supercharger site nearby you might choose to drive there instead (e.g. Tesla Heathrow collections only have a few chargers, the Airport Hilton has a lot more stalls and is not far away - especially if you are heading West!). NOTE: Old V2 style superchargers [indicated by there being two cables at each stall] "share power" if two cars are charging adjacent (Stalls are numbered in pairs 1A, 1B and 2A, 2B and so on). So if the delivery site is V2 and busy you may charge slowly because you will be sharing, hence going elsewhere might be quicker. If there are two cables you need the top one for M3/MY.

Named Drivers are presented in the order created, so create Primary Driver first (in my case that is my Wife :cool: ). I recommend making all choices for that driver before creating any more ... because the choices you make will be "current" when you create the 2nd driver, and save you ploughing through them all again. Perhaps even delay creating 2nd driver until you get home, so any en-route changes you make are already in that default set. You might want to create a driver called "Chill"/similar with seat fully back etc. for when you are sat in car relaxing / charging.

Pair your phone, including setting up as a key, and if you have a fob might as well pair that too. Create a PIN and set to "PIN to drive" (prevents relay attack). Can't remember, for sure, but I don't think it asks you to confirm the PIN, so make 100% sure that your 4 digit number is typed in correctly (although you can probably overcome that from Phone APP)

Maybe move the cables from the frunk to the boot cellar (Frunk can be opened without keys, although I doubt in practice that that happens maliciously / often). In MY there is a second (shallow) cellar [behind rear seats] which will fit the cables nicely, and not much else is going to fit in there. That said if you are going on a long trip you might not want the cables buried under a boot full of luggage!

If you are using TeslaFi, or something like that to log all your data, you may want to assign it the appropriate vehicle (i.e. sync. with your MyTesla) before you set off

If you've done all that and the car is still charging put it on LightShow to entertain the other newbies ... or get to grips with BoomBox and the supplemental horn tones. But that's just childish of course ...

(*) the car will likely be set to 70% charge limit. Click on the battery icon, so the big "battery charging info" page appears. Don't try to drag the little pointer under the limit line, click on the battery itself (i.e. where the big limit line shows) and drag that. (Maybe I'm the only person who has tried to drag the little limit-marker under it ....). 90% is the top of the "daily use" range and just below the "trips" range. If 70% is enough to get home then you can change that later instead.

Last edited:
1st thing: Move-car-to / queue-for a Supercharger stall whilst you are sorting yourself out, and setting your choices. Then do your PDI there. Assuming 30% charge and you live some distance away you might be 20 minutes charging up(*). If there is another Supercharger site nearby you might choose to drive there instead (e.g. Tesla Heathrow collections only have a few chargers, the Airport Hilton has a lot more stalls and is not far away - especially if you are heading West!). NOTE: Old V2 style superchargers [indicated by there being two cables at each stall] "share power" if two cars are charging adjacent (Stalls are numbered in pairs 1A, 1B and 2A, 2B and so on). So if the delivery site is V2 and busy you may charge slowly because you will be sharing, hence going elsewhere might be quicker. If there are two cables you need the top one for M3/MY.
some sites have no superchargers at all e.g. NEC and if you are traveling any distance to one add it as the destination so that the car preheats

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Other than the actual checks (the PDF already suggested is comprehensive) my thoughts are:

Named Drivers are presented in the order created, so create Primary Driver first (in my case that is my Wife :cool: ). I recommend making all choices for that driver before creating any more ... because the choices you make will be "current" when you create the 2nd driver, and save you ploughing through them all again. Perhaps even delay creating 2nd driver until you get home, so any en-route changes you make are already in that default set. You might want to create a driver called "Chill"/similar with seat fully back etc. for when you are sat in car relaxing / charging.

Pair your phone, including setting up as a key, and if you have a fob might as well pair that too. Create a PIN and set to "PIN to drive" (prevents relay attack). Can't remember, for sure, but I don't think it asks you to confirm the PIN, so make 100% sure that your 4 digit number is typed in correctly (although you can probably overcome that from Phone APP)

Maybe move the cables from the frunk to the boot cellar (Frunk can be opened without keys, although I doubt in practice that that happens maliciously / often). In MY there is a second (shallow) cellar [behind rear seats] which will fit the cables nicely, and not much else is going to fit in there. That said if you are going on a long trip you might not want the cables buried under a boot full of luggage!

If you are using TeslaFi, or something like that to log all your data, you may want to assign it the appropriate vehicle (i.e. sync. with your MyTesla) before you set off

If you've done all that and the car is still charging put it on LightShow to entertain the other newbies ... or get to grips with BoomBox and the supplemental horn tones. But that's just childish of course ...

(*) the car will likely be set to 70% charge limit. Click on the battery icon, so the big "battery charging info" page appears. Don't try to drag the little pointer under the limit line, click on the battery itself (i.e. where the big limit line shows) and drag that. (Maybe I'm the only person who has tried to drag the little limit-marker under it ....). 90% is the top of the "daily use" range and just below the "trips" range. If 70% is enough to get home then you can change that later instead.
Thank you very much..this is very useful information.

Another bookmark 😎

Reactions: Undecided_2
Rimetrix: They've updated the website, VAT NOT included.

1646752199354.png

Just the value of item value! To the poster who mentioned a $135 delivery fee - cant believe they charging so much for delivery to UK direct?? Surely that must include pre-paid customs charges? If that doesnt, then its cheaper to use myUS indirectly as you'll only get stung at customs and admin!

Had pre-delivery damage confirmed on mine as being passenger alloy and tyre. Rest looks fine thankfully, they had me worried it had been involved in an RTC or something... Bit annoying, but fairly easy to fix hopefully and not a huge delay.

Here's hoping it doesn't turn up with one wheel a different colour to the others now.

wheel-damage.jpg

Rimetrix: They've updated the website, VAT NOT included.

View attachment 778317
Utter madness! It will end up costing about £20 more if Rimetrix ship to UK and duty/customs/admin fees at around £75 - not to mention you will get a silly letter from FedEx asking you to pay Duty first which will take a few days - so will probably arrive at the same time as using myUS anyway!

Reactions: Rooster6655
Spotted a decent sized set of scratches on the car I picked up yesterday, didn't see it in the dark of the Trafford Centre tent. I've booked a mobile service appt, but the first one they have is 24th March. Is that the correct thing to do? Don't want them saying it's been 2 weeks and I must have caused the scrape!

IMG_3190.jpeg

Spotted a decent sized set of scratches on the car I picked up yesterday, didn't see it in the dark of the Trafford Centre tent. I've booked a mobile service appt, but the first one they have is 24th March. Is that the correct thing to do? Don't want them saying it's been 2 weeks and I must have caused the scrape!

Assume you've logged the photo in the app? If so, they won't be able to claim these happened later and a mobile service appt will be fine.

Had pre-delivery damage confirmed on mine as being passenger alloy and tyre. Rest looks fine thankfully, they had me worried it had been involved in an RTC or something... Bit annoying, but fairly easy to fix hopefully and not a huge delay.

Here's hoping it doesn't turn up with one wheel a different colour to the others now.

View attachment 778316
Wow was that from the delivery company?

I am still in the dark as our situation (Lease company not overly willing to chase the issue) - I spoke with someone at Tesla who seemed helpful, yet didn't want to be quoted - he stated from the system it looks like there is no actual issue with the car (which i guess is positive) but there are potentially troubles with capacity and time slots with the delivery firm.

I wish we would just be told the truth rather than 'failed pre-delivery inspection' as they have got me concerned as to the car itself.

Hoping it just means days delay rather thank weeks or even months delay - though still not great we have to chase to get answers.

View attachment 778342
As you technically have that 'first' gut-wrenching scratch out of the way you can relax and enjoy your car. Do crazy things like park right at the front of a supermarket or park next to the trolleys. When they come to fix it on the 24th just say 'oh those scratches? They were ALL there when I collected it, hence booking this appointment!' - at the end of the day if they missed that when they handed it to you, it wasn't QA it properly :D Enjoy

View attachment 778342
Crazy. I am collecting next week and am not sure if i would accept the car in that state. What about you guys? Would you accept a new car scratched or reject the car.

Wow was that from the delivery company?

I am still in the dark as our situation (Lease company not overly willing to chase the issue) - I spoke with someone at Tesla who seemed helpful, yet didn't want to be quoted - he stated from the system it looks like there is no actual issue with the car (which i guess is positive) but there are potentially troubles with capacity and time slots with the delivery firm.

I wish we would just be told the truth rather than 'failed pre-delivery inspection' as they have got me concerned as to the car itself.

Hoping it just means days delay rather thank weeks or even months delay - though still not great we have to chase to get answers
Yep, credit where it's due at least they sent some photos although maybe that should be the rule not the exception.

Unless Tesla themselves are arranging to deliver the car to you on behalf of the lease company, I'd keep chasing the lease company as they'd likely be arranging transportation from wherever the car is / arrives to your front door?