Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was going to get geminis and have them painted like yours, they do look really good.

But the Induction wheels only cost £32pm, so if I keep the car for 10 months like I have my Model 3, they’ll only cost me £320, and no faff of taking the wheels to be painted. It appears the Induction wheels hold their value well come trade in time. Also, the Induction wheels come with Michelin’s rather than Hankook’s.

I’m not knocking your choice, just thought I’d put this out there for others who are still able to change their order.N
Not sure where 32pm comes from tbh, but either way i aint fortunate enough to be swopping cars every 10 months so that logic wasnt ever applicable for moi!

Not sure where 32pm comes from tbh, but either way i aint fortunate enough to be swopping cars every 10 months so that logic wasnt ever applicable for moi!
That’s how much they work out at on 72 month Tesla loan (which makes the most financial sense), because of strong residuals I’m actually going to have more collateral in the car than I put in 10 months previously, so actually nothing to do with being lucky, it’s just a straight swap over of financing.

That’s how much they work out at on 72 month Tesla loan (which makes the most financial sense), because of strong residuals I’m actually going to have more collateral in the car than I put in 10 months previously, so actually nothing to do with being lucky, it’s just a straight swap over of financing.
I wasn't questioning the numbers, i just didn't know them as not looked at the finance options. Wasn't suggesting your logic was off, tbh i'd do anything other than buy the Rimetrix but each to their own.

Also, Who said anything about luck? ;)

I’d rather powder coat but since it’s a lease I’ve gone for rimetrix. Each to their own but changing cars every 10 months seems absolutely bonkers (even more bonkers than paying 400 quid for some plastic circles).
To be fair it is a bit bonkers, and I will likely keep the Y longer than 10 months, I just missed the space of my X3 so the Y makes much more sense.

Even if keeping it for 3 years, the Inductions won’t work out much more when taking all factors into account. And they just look so good!!

Ah right, I see why you didn’t get them then, £2k in a lump is a lot for some hoops!

Reviews seem to say the ride quality is not noticeably different between the 19s and 20s, at least that’s what the god of EVs Richard Symonds said.
Yeah, i was on the fence about it for ages. Went from White and black wheels to blue and gemini and obv painted as i have.

What's your spec?

Normal. Doesn't make it acceptable though. FWIW my experience on this collection was a lot worse. I'm used to it ... but on next EV if Superchargers have opened up in UK probably my only stipulation will be "Charger on rear-left or front-right" instead of "Supercharger network needed, therefore Tesla"

You'll have to book it on the APP. No one will speak to you. If you want to add something later they'll tell you that not enough time is booked and you need to either make two visits, or reschedule.

It might not be THAT bad ... but it wouldn't surprise me if it was. Flip side they may well send a Ranger to fix it, which avoids having to get it back to Service Centre. I don't have mine serviced by Tesla, I have a mobile service guy come and do it on driveway / work carpark.

That would be a pity. I expect you will love the car (that also is "normal"), and its good for the planet too (although maybe your second choice is also EV).

I have had a couple of Tesla's wrapped. They said "Whatever you do don't let the vendor do any paint correction, just bring it to us whatever paint imperfections there are, much easier to fix it than have to fix a poor fix" ... they also said "Exactly the same advice if you were bringing a Ferrari etc. to us"
The guy that wrapped mine said that Tesla paintwork is not the best and sometimes made worse by the staff who have never washed a cup nevermind a 60k car.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
You have my sympathy as the same happened to me. Ialso ordered on Day one, my famil's 5th Tesla. As I will own the car myself I wanted 22 reg, if I was leasing I wouldn't mind.

So I emailed and called to explain, asking for the car to be held for 2 weeks until the 1st. As I now know it was reallocated and I went into a queue again. I chased several times before finding I had a VIN, and now delivery in Bristol on the 17th.

I think demand for Tesla will exceed supply for many years yet. Model Y and Model 3 supply might meet demand in 12 to 18mths once Berlin and Texas ramp up, but then they'll introduce other models and create new demand.

So I am not holding my breath waiting for Tesla to switch off the pile them high, sell them high approach.

I'll be interested in the Lucid Air when it comes to the UK, but that's some way off and assumes they can get into volume production, not a given for them or Rivian.
I think Tesla may be surprised at how soon Berlin, Austin and Shanghai 2 will saturate the market when they get up to full production in a couple of years without Tesla producing fundamentally new models more affordable for the mass market. In the mass market Ford, VW and umpteen Chinese manufacturers will dominate. Tesla 's misplaced desire to open superchargers for all will destroy their USP.

Reactions: Tomlkj
I’d rather powder coat but since it’s a lease I’ve gone for rimetrix. Each to their own but changing cars every 10 months seems absolutely bonkers (even more bonkers than paying 400 quid for some plastic circles).
Its not bonkers if you want to keep motoring costs as low as possible. I get my 4th new one in 3 and a half years on the 23rd. To date residuals have been phenomenal. I have found the wheels, colour, extras have no effect on the RV whatsoever. Mind you every one of mine have looked considerably better on disposal than the poor conditions experienced on collection.

Reactions: VX Foxy
What was the problems with your trade in if you don’t mind saying?

OK here we go ...

Got a trade in offer. About 6% depreciation for 2 year old, 10K miles. Not too bad but in current climate not great either (a trade-in means going solo to collect; but a non-trade-in has the added inconvenience of either cadge a lift or take public transport (hours of time)

In pondering private sale (all sorts of hassle and unknowns in that) and chatting to a mate he said he'd be interested and that £1,500 over the trade-in looked OK to him (new price has increased over my original purchase).

Meantime Tesla piped up out of the blue with a revised offer - quote: "This is a reward for loyal customers who have an order for a new tesla and currently have a tesla too

I chatted to my mate, and he had another offer that he had been pondering so he wasn't bothered.

That was a month before collection date. I told a number of mates "I thought Tesla had dispensed with loyal-customer service, but look at this". One of them placed an order on the strength of that ...

That email asked me to confirm if I wanted to take the offer and to confirm if not. Fair enough, helps with with their planning. I replied that I accepted.

No change to the online offer (so I didn't accept that by uploading V5) Over the course of 2 weeks I chased it up, and added CC to the UK Sales email address. Never got a reply from either of them.

A week before collection I wasted time on phone trying to get someone to respond. Got an Email from DeliveryGB (which then did get responses. Subject looks like it had a bag-tag in it)

I sent them all the details.

Reply from DeliveryGB quote: “rest assured the increased offer will be honoured

some back and forth where they said they were having some problems with a new system. Getting a bit tight for payment, but other than that I was comfortable (been in this "Tesla Chaos" situation with a number of times over the years)

I was getting "You need to accept the trade in and finalise payment" chase emails every day. Ignored them (assuming automatically generated)

4 days before collection got email "Trade in offer is ready". Hadn't had one of those, no idea if that was automated standard-chase, but I assumed it was "Someone has done something to the trade in data". Trade-in value was unchanged.

Email to DeliveryGB saying "I don't know if this is just an automated chase, but price has not changed"

3 days from collection: instruction from DevlieryGB quote “Please accept this and it should be revised on our end. If not I'll make sure to have it fixed. Apologies for the messy workarounds, this is a new process we are trialling. ”)

2 days from collection email (from a specific person) "We will not be honouring that offer"

Their excuse is that they calculated the improved offer based on a different M3 on my account (with higher spec). They implied I had put the wrong VIN on my trade in (which was not the case - I could see that on My Account!), and clearly the initial quote was based on that VIN ...

... which of course is totally at odds from the original "This is a reward for loyal customers who have an order for a new tesla and currently have a tesla too

They said I could trade in the other M3 (for the uplifted trade-in price), or push back delivery to provide time for me to find a new private trade-in. They said they would keep the vehicle for me (yeah, right, like I trust them on that)

I proposed for the inconvenience they threw in a tow hitch (£1,300 - but that's retail of course, so I thought that would be tolerable for them).

Nix. Nothing. Refused to allow any escalation ("No one more senior will speak to you").

Although fully peeved-off, as you can imagine, Wifee and I decided it was less hassle to go ahead, not have the hassle of private sale and dead-legging to collection

1 day from collection ... tight for payment by this time of course. Invoice prep was typical incompetence:

Raised invoice, including trade-in
Forgot the £100 deposit credit
Raised credit note for £100
Raised a credit note for the original invoice
Raised a new invoice - forgot the trade-in

First time I have been impolite with them ... quote "Why can’t you people do anything right. I now have final payment which is showing as below – trade-in is not included." with a screen shot.

Reply I got was quote "This should now be fixed" - leaving door open for it not to be of course ...

Made payment. (My bank is excellent, unlike high street banks it doesn't try to flog me insurance or any other non-banking stuff ... but of course I didn't get any windfall payment from PPI fraud either ... 'coz my bank didn't indulge in any of that.)

15:30 Payment not showing up. Contact DeliveryGB again. "payments with the RN used as reference clear within a few hours"

I send proof of payment. Clearly the RN number is correct and where it is supposed to be.

17:52 DeliveryGB quote "I'm happy to authorise the collection"

Day 0 : 08:00 departure. Payment still not showing. So much for RN number automatically allocates payment within a few hours.

I set off to Bluewater.

2 guys at a rickety table i(effectively "outdoors") in a concrete multi storey car park doing handover. I recognise one from last pick up at Heathrow, a year or two earlier. "Last time I saw you you had an office" :cool:

The car, at least, was fine.

Follow up email to my mates "Further to my earlier email about Tesla's reward for loyal customers" and some cop-a-load-of-this text. I'll be dinning out on it for some time too of course ...

In terms of "loyal customer" this is the 6th Tesla on My Account (previous trade-in and family members).

Not expecting to need to change any for a couple of years, by then if Supercharger network is opened up I reckon my only buying criteria will be "Charge port rear-left or front-right"

I was wondering if this might be due to Model Y currently not showing on their systems so they automatically put down 3?

based on similar over the years as new models have come out I think that is very likely ... no idea what your legal position would be though.

I think Tesla may be surprised at how soon Berlin, Austin and Shanghai 2 will saturate the market when they get up to full production in a couple of years without Tesla producing fundamentally new models more affordable for the mass market

Been reading similar for years. Seems likely that would be the case, but it hasn't happened yet. Tesla keep jacking up the price (to keep delivery times short-ish, competitors who are maintaining price now have 2+ year waits).

My view is that Tesla has 20% margin, their competitors no doubt jealous of that, but it means Tesla can drop price significantly as a demand lever. Pickup truck and Juggernaut "tractor" are late, so they are stretched on "new models" (although maybe they are late in order to leap-frog to new battery cells, which would put them back in pole position ...). OTA updates keep coming out with new features, and gimmicks, which make their competitors look like dinosaurs (and established brands, with "everything outsourced", have a nightmare of integration in order to be agile on OTA improvements ... or they need to bring that back in-house, and there is a significant lead time for that.)

Tesla 's misplaced desire to open superchargers for all will destroy their USP

Yes, I think that too ... but ... Tesla have a huge Supercharger network, they say (pinch of salt on timing, if not intention) they will use money raised to expand it rapidly. Without doubt they could do that ... they must be manufacturing more charger-stalls than any other brand, and they have battery knowhow for any sites where they need to reduce peak (which attracts penalty payments). Other charger brands are already buying Tesla batteries for that job!

Opening Superchargers is also likely to make all the government money available to them ... I can see them cleaning up on Road Charging. I have never charged at Ionity. Theoretically a bit faster, but tiny number of stalls so I assume likely to be busy (and adhoc price is horrendous without a monthly subscription - no Tesla owner is going to need that!!). No idea how likes of Ionity are going to ramp up expanding sites - 4 stalls then add 4 more has got to be expensive) whereas Tesla has been braver in putting in a significant number of stalls from pretty much the start (and latterly either sites close together, dozens of stalls, or both)

Tesla want me to let them control my PowerWall, so they can discharge to grid at "peak" for premium price. In return they will sell me power at 11p / kWh 24/7 - something like a 60% discount on the rest of the market. I can see them cleaning up on that too ...

Time will tell of course ...

Collected car from Trafford centre yesterday. Very busy but straight forward. Traded in BMW X5. Didn’t even look it over. Had a couple of issues with MY. Scratch on the plastic in the frunk they sprayed some plastic cleaner which seems to have worked. Once we got home noticed a scratch on the dash board top. Going to raise a service for this today. Had major range anxiety driving home back to Sheffield. Car had 27% charge. Got to the supercharger at Barnsley with 6%. First EV and quite scary watching the range drop climbing over the Pennines. Overall first impressions are amazing. Dropped psi to 42 from 51. Need to find solution for rear seat beats hitting the plastic without having to plug them in. Currently on granny charger with a trip to Alton towers this today.

OK here we go ...

Got a trade in offer. About 6% depreciation for 2 year old, 10K miles. Not too bad but in current climate not great either (a trade-in means going solo to collect; but a non-trade-in has the added inconvenience of either cadge a lift or take public transport (hours of time)

In pondering private sale (all sorts of hassle and unknowns in that) and chatting to a mate he said he'd be interested and that £1,500 over the trade-in looked OK to him (new price has increased over my original purchase).

Meantime Tesla piped up out of the blue with a revised offer - quote: "This is a reward for loyal customers who have an order for a new tesla and currently have a tesla too

I chatted to my mate, and he had another offer that he had been pondering so he wasn't bothered.

That was a month before collection date. I told a number of mates "I thought Tesla had dispensed with loyal-customer service, but look at this". One of them placed an order on the strength of that ...

That email asked me to confirm if I wanted to take the offer and to confirm if not. Fair enough, helps with with their planning. I replied that I accepted.

No change to the online offer (so I didn't accept that by uploading V5) Over the course of 2 weeks I chased it up, and added CC to the UK Sales email address. Never got a reply from either of them.

A week before collection I wasted time on phone trying to get someone to respond. Got an Email from DeliveryGB (which then did get responses. Subject looks like it had a bag-tag in it)

I sent them all the details.

Reply from DeliveryGB quote: “rest assured the increased offer will be honoured

some back and forth where they said they were having some problems with a new system. Getting a bit tight for payment, but other than that I was comfortable (been in this "Tesla Chaos" situation with a number of times over the years)

I was getting "You need to accept the trade in and finalise payment" chase emails every day. Ignored them (assuming automatically generated)

4 days before collection got email "Trade in offer is ready". Hadn't had one of those, no idea if that was automated standard-chase, but I assumed it was "Someone has done something to the trade in data". Trade-in value was unchanged.

Email to DeliveryGB saying "I don't know if this is just an automated chase, but price has not changed"

3 days from collection: instruction from DevlieryGB quote “Please accept this and it should be revised on our end. If not I'll make sure to have it fixed. Apologies for the messy workarounds, this is a new process we are trialling. ”)

2 days from collection email (from a specific person) "We will not be honouring that offer"

Their excuse is that they calculated the improved offer based on a different M3 on my account (with higher spec). They implied I had put the wrong VIN on my trade in (which was not the case - I could see that on My Account!), and clearly the initial quote was based on that VIN ...

... which of course is totally at odds from the original "This is a reward for loyal customers who have an order for a new tesla and currently have a tesla too

They said I could trade in the other M3 (for the uplifted trade-in price), or push back delivery to provide time for me to find a new private trade-in. They said they would keep the vehicle for me (yeah, right, like I trust them on that)

I proposed for the inconvenience they threw in a tow hitch (£1,300 - but that's retail of course, so I thought that would be tolerable for them).

Nix. Nothing. Refused to allow any escalation ("No one more senior will speak to you").

Although fully peeved-off, as you can imagine, Wifee and I decided it was less hassle to go ahead, not have the hassle of private sale and dead-legging to collection

1 day from collection ... tight for payment by this time of course. Invoice prep was typical incompetence:

Raised invoice, including trade-in
Forgot the £100 deposit credit
Raised credit note for £100
Raised a credit note for the original invoice
Raised a new invoice - forgot the trade-in

First time I have been impolite with them ... quote "Why can’t you people do anything right. I now have final payment which is showing as below – trade-in is not included." with a screen shot.

Reply I got was quote "This should now be fixed" - leaving door open for it not to be of course ...

Made payment. (My bank is excellent, unlike high street banks it doesn't try to flog me insurance or any other non-banking stuff ... but of course I didn't get any windfall payment from PPI fraud either ... 'coz my bank didn't indulge in any of that.)

15:30 Payment not showing up. Contact DeliveryGB again. "payments with the RN used as reference clear within a few hours"

I send proof of payment. Clearly the RN number is correct and where it is supposed to be.

17:52 DeliveryGB quote "I'm happy to authorise the collection"

Day 0 : 08:00 departure. Payment still not showing. So much for RN number automatically allocates payment within a few hours.

I set off to Bluewater.

2 guys at a rickety table i(effectively "outdoors") in a concrete multi storey car park doing handover. I recognise one from last pick up at Heathrow, a year or two earlier. "Last time I saw you you had an office" :cool:

The car, at least, was fine.

Follow up email to my mates "Further to my earlier email about Tesla's reward for loyal customers" and some cop-a-load-of-this text. I'll be dinning out on it for some time too of course ...

In terms of "loyal customer" this is the 6th Tesla on My Account (previous trade-in and family members).

Not expecting to need to change any for a couple of years, by then if Supercharger network is opened up I reckon my only buying criteria will be "Charge port rear-left or front-right"
Yet you still buy the car. Any other manufacturer and you would of perhaps walked. It’s very strange people accept this. Tesla aren’t going to change. Even with horrific customer service occasionally. Unless people don’t buy their product.