Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've paid at 15:00 the day before collection at 09:00 - so that's rubbish. But the invoice says "7 days before collection" so is pretty clear on that point

IMHO late payment is a hassle worth avoiding (and your bank may have a limit on daily transfer which could mean that payment for a large sum, close to collection date, might not be doable ...) - in my case that was the first point at which they had actually got the details on the Final Invoice correct.

If paying late, and IF your Order Status has not updated to PAID (they told me that provided my payment had the RN number on it [which it did] then payment would clear within an hour - a day or two later and it still hadn't cleared - albeit that I had the car by then ...), then sending proof-of-payment to DevlieryGB (UNTIL they say they are happy with it) will mean that as far as the handover people are concerned your car is marked as "OK for collection".

Best to take proof of payment with you ... I think it extremely unlikely you will need it if the above has been done beforehand ...
Before they removed the Bank details that had sat in the app since I received an RN, I transferred a fiver. It credited to my Tesla account within a couple of hours.

@Brian G. Your spoiler looks rather fine. Could you tell me the max width at the centre please? It looks wider and more impressive than mine. But then, mine is in the back room not on the car:)

Also, whilst it is really a question for the Xpel guys, would it be attached after the PPF or before and thereby reqirering them to trim the PPF up to the spoiler edges top and bottom?

Thanks again.
I've not got it yet. Should be here early next week just in time to pick the car up next friday. 😁

Sounds like a nightmare.
When you say 'early payment', how early?
The whole journey has been frustrating, around 1.5 months back my Tesla account stated action required , make payment or delivery may be delayed.

At that point it was set to June delivery, made the payment and it jumped out to Oct, then sat firmly for SEO 4th - Oct 20th until today.

Obviously was a bit miffed at my account being 18k down and no car for several months. This is why I asked for the money to be transferred back into my account. It's now on No man's lands and I've somehow jumped to a June delivery and got a VIN. Nearly everyone here had written off a Model Y to Q3.

It's great I'm potentially getting the car in a week, had no test or email but I don't really want to pay another 18k until I have the money back.

If they wouldn't have faffed around with the EDD's and made a mistake on their system to demand payment early this whole mess could have been avoided. The Tesla account team still don't understand how I got their bank details, he was amazed when I said it was in the app despite not having an assigned car.

If I thought there was any chance of June/July etc would have left the money with them.

Anyway, still not had a txt or anything to confirm delivery despite a VIN, if the money comes back into my account then I will pay once I get the summons .

For anyone else, don't make a payment until you get a txt or a confirmed VIN.

I've learnt this the hard way, compared to normal dealers where you pay the amount once the car is there on site.

Reactions: Kingpopsy
The girl on the phone today told me the best way is to go into the bank and get them to transfer the money. 🤔
The girl on the phone from Tesla I assume.

Over the counter in the bank is a fail safe method although they charge. It years since I have used anything but a free quick transfer on line. Back in the day, the bank used to charge about £15 for a transfer.
I am not sure how our bank can get a proof of payment to the Tesla team. Perhaps the girl on the phone explained that.

Reactions: Kingpopsy
Same. Is showing them their system on the day sufficient? 🤔
But they do ask for proof of payment to be sent.
...why is there so much confusion and uncertainty about paying for a car:mad:?

The last several cars I have owned, I simply phoned my bank ahead of time to explain what I was up to,(they had advanced a contribution towards the car's cost) and paid the dealer with my debit card...job done. I have tended to buy demonstrators or cars owned by the manufacture for up to a year with low mileage. The Y will be my first brand new car since 1996. (not sure of the relevance of any of that here, but the need for relevant comment has never been a barrier my ramblings - the astute among you will have noticed that.:)

Payment methods have proliferated and simplified over time. It would be nice if they trusted us to turn up on the day and we could settle the outstandings with our card or Apple Pay or PayPal...or...or ..or. This approach might lead to those desirous of a car NOW, queuing up to acquire the vehicles of any no shows for cash on the barrel head. It could be a fun day out:).SWMBO imagines a bloke sent out to get some milk and coming home in a Tesla. I say ..way to go!

Now then...my dear father used to say, when exasperated " A joke is a joke but to hell with bloody nonsense" so, in that spirit, finance guys, please arrange the following words into a well known phrase or saying: "together get fu..ing act your"

Evening All.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ballyhoo
The girl on the phone from Tesla I assume.

Over the counter in the bank is a fail safe method although they charge. It years since I have used anything but a free quick transfer on line. Back in the day, the bank used to charge about £15 for a transfer.
I am not sure how our bank can get a proof of payment to the Tesla team. Perhaps the girl on the phone explained that.
Yes,obviously 'the girl on thr phone' is from tesla

Not posted in while. Due to collect on the 25th from Staines. I had done the same as others, setup Tesla as a payee and paid 1 quid to see if it worked. I then had been moving 10k a day for the last 3 days using the my mobile banking app (the max it lets you in one day) but then got the nasty-o-gram tesla txt telling me to pay the rest ASAP or I might not get the car, so just did the rest in one go.l via online banking.. Been in the US for the last couple of weeks so visiting a bank branch was a none starter..

Only 9 sleeps to go !!!

Not posted in while. Due to collect on the 25th from Staines. I had done the same as others, setup Tesla as a payee and paid 1 quid to see if it worked. I then had been moving 10k a day for the last 3 days using the my mobile banking app (the max it lets you in one day) but then got the nasty-o-gram tesla txt telling me to pay the rest ASAP or I might not get the car, so just did the rest in one go.l via online banking.. Been in the US for the last couple of weeks so visiting a bank branch was a none starter..

Only 9 sleeps to go !!!

Second only to my anticipation of collecting from Staines on 29th, is the combination of enthusiasm and apprehension I have for members collection experiences before the 29th and in particular, the condition of their cars. " The Gaps and Swirly Paint Show" will not, I trust be providing entertainment on the day.😟
Looking forward to your collection report.
All the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: Meanbean
Second only to my anticipation of collecting from Staines on 29th, is the combination of enthusiasm and apprehension I have for members collection experience. .....
P.S. I am so pleased that Blackwater was dropped in favour of Staines, as must you be.😀

Now then.... SWMBO says .....Steady! Every silver lining holds a cloud!
It's good to kick off the day on a positive note.

Last edited:
P.S. I am so pleased that Blackwater was dropped in favour of Staines, as must you be.😀

Now then.... SWMBO says .....Steady! Every silver lining holds a cloud!
It's good to kick off the day on a positive note.
Have you received a 'final invoice' yet?
I haven't, but I have my Vin and reg. Also I have payment details in my account. Just wondering if you have paid yet. Not sure what to do after the lovely text most of us received yesterday from Tesla.

Have you received a 'final invoice' yet?
I haven't, but I have my Vin and reg. Also I have payment details in my account. Just wondering if you have paid yet. Not sure what to do after the lovely text most of us received yesterday from Tesla.
I have not received the final Invoice. The bank details, which were in my account from the moment my Tesla PCP was approved, disappeared a couple or three weeks ago. These details should reappear on the eventual invoice. So, for now, I cannot/need not pay.

As for the text(s), I have received a couple of them, but with 13 days to T Day, I am not too concerned. Wise "Old" Tesla Hand @WannabeOwner is familiar with the back office.....difficulties from which they (and therefore we) suffer. It will all come out in the wash............won't it?:oops:

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I have not received the final Invoice. The bank details, which were in my account from the moment my Tesla PCP was approved, disappeared a couple or three weeks ago. These details should reappear on the eventual invoice. So, for now, I cannot/need not pay.

As for the text(s), I have received a couple of them, but with 13 days to T Day, I am not too concerned. Wise "Old" Tesla Hand @WannabeOwner is familiar with the back office.....difficulties from which they (and therefore we) suffer. It will all come out in the wash............won't it?:oops:
It's strange how peoples accounts are different. I'm paying a deposit for my PCP, but I have all their bank details on the 'items to complete' page. I'm just wondering if it makes a difference paying before I get the final invoice?

The Glove Box!?! I assume that appears with the invoice?

You probably already have one (in "My Tesla") - with your "Order confirmation" in it. Maybe you don't see that at all if the car is a Lease?

I don't have a final invoice yet, does that matter?

Personally I wouldn't pay anything until Final Invoice - they have cocked up my final invoice on pretty much every car I've bought from Tesla ...

I tried to click the continue button on the payments section of my order in Safari and it brought up a blank screen, rather concerning if I'm honest

Did you try a refresh? I get a lot of "failed pages" on Tesla site (which I don't get on other sites). Sometimes I think it is at the time that there was an update to my account - which of course coincides with when I myself am trying to access it! For me when I have had a 404 or whatever a refresh has sorted it out. I think its just all part of the syndrome of rapid-growth and infrastructure / back-office-systems not caught up yet

I think the whole process could do with some consistency

Indeed. The final invoice says "Enter the invoice number when executing the [payment] transaction: RN12345"

The invoice number is, hardly surprisingly, shown at the top of the invoice ... and it is most definitely NOT the Reservation Number which is what is required on the payment. This must, surely?, just be a bit of wibble-text on the invoice template and could easily be changed without programming / QA testing / rollout ....

Just looked at my first invoice, from 2015 ... that has "Please reference your Confirmation Number when setting up your wire transfer" ... and at the top, along with invoice number, is "Confirmation Number RN123456" ... why the heck can't they call it a Reservation Number? Or change the prefix from RN to CN ... <sigh>

I'm a database programmer. We routinely sort these things out in our APPs and we only employ a couple of bods ... how hard can it be?

For anyone else, don't make a payment until you get a txt or a confirmed VIN

I would suggest that you don't make payment until you have Final Invoice.

Is showing them their system on the day sufficient

I wouldn't do that. The handover crew are trying to do several-a-minute (unless you are collecting from the Back-of-Beyond branch). If it doesn't work you'll be stuffed ...

Either your account will show "paid", in which case you will be fine
Or contact DeliveryGB and make sure that they have approved your "proof of payment" - in which case the handover crew will just be seeing "OK" on your account, and you won't have any need to prove payment. (Take it with you though ...)

I am not sure how our bank can get a proof of payment to the Tesla team

IME of all the contact that I have attempted with Tesla, most of which was anywhere from "Disappointing" to "I've made this up just for you", the DeliveryGB team were in a different league. I suspect that is because their job is to convert every car into Cash before end-of-quarter. In my case they sorted out a significant number of cockups in documentation and invoice (including making some more ... but once pointed out to them they were sorted out promptly ... everything was down-to-the-wire by then)

They were happy with a screen shot of the bank details. Actually they were NOT happy with that, and required that it include the Bank Letter Head (so to speak) so I found a different screen, that had that on, made sure that was included in my screen-shot and THEN they were happy

But if you pay, and put the RN number in the reference, then (supposedly) your payment will match to your account within a couple of hours (in my case: I did put the RN reference on the payment, but it didn't match my account until a couple of days after I had the car)

Bottom line: They want to convert car-to-cash, so someone in DevlieryGB is empowered to take the risk that you photoshopped the "proof". Clearly the courts are going to be on their side if you didn't actually pay - so I guess they just want to reduce that risk down to "almost zero"

But they do ask for proof of payment to be sent.

I think that is tosh. If you have Status=PAID then DeliveryGB can't possible WANT that, let alone need it. But if you do NOT have Status=PAID, and you are collecting "tomorrow", then .. yeah ... get DeliveryGB to approve your "proof of payment"

I simply phoned my bank ahead of time to explain what I was up to,(they had advanced a contribution towards the car's cost) and paid the dealer with my debit card...job done

I did that (donkey's years ago - 2006 I think). Rocked up at 5PM on a wet, miserable, December Friday. Said to handover lass "Can I do payment just in case any problem". My debit card was declined. Phoned bank branch, explained I had transferred funds to my current account, "Yes Sir, you do indeed have funds, but your purchase is slightly over the credit limit that is set for the Debit Card" Doh! "I've increased the limit for you, and made a note to put it back again tomorrow, I'll wait here until you call me back to let me know payment has worked". Bless!

Handover lass was astonished! Important bit to mention is that I use an old fashioned bank, not one with a call centre in gawd knows where, that would have required all sorts of answers-to-questions that I wouldn't have known. Unfortunately I never got any money from PPI abuse 'coz my bank doesn't sell Insurance or Cornflakes or anything else that isn't good old fashioned banking

I am so pleased that Blackwater was dropped in favour of Staines

Hmmm ... I'm off with my mate to pick up his Model-Y from Staines (given that it is last-day-of-month I reckon he got a declined collection, and it will be even-less-than-zero-PDI and probably squeeze in 2x the normal number of punters that day ... we'll see). Bluewater was a rickety wooden bench in a concrete multi-storey car park and two guys in thick coats (in February) handing over keys. One of them I recognised as originally from Heathrow office, so they knew what they were doing. I'm not so convinced that Staines will be anything like as upmarket as that!!! and may well be staffed with Summer Students ... we'll see.

I'm paying a deposit for my PCP, but I have all their bank details on the 'items to complete' page. I'm just wondering if it makes a difference paying before I get the final invoice?

Are you paying the lease/PCP company, rather than direct to Tesla? I imagine that would be different.

If you are paying a Deposit, direct to Tesla, for a car on which the remainder will come from Lease Company then that sounds like a different process too ...

Any of these "different processes" might be more / less pitiful, in terms of "slick", than any other one!