Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Collecting from Brent Cross on the 10th, first available date. Was surprised that I was offered 9 different days to collect, although all within the span of a week or so.
Does anyone know when I should expect the registration number for my insurance?

Collecting from Brent Cross on the 10th, first available date. Was surprised that I was offered 9 different days to collect, although all within the span of a week or so.
Does anyone know when I should expect the registration number for my insurance?
I got mine 15 days before via text. It was also around this time I started seeing the lending invoices in my Tesla account etc.

Reactions: Meiler
Interestingly, I just spoke to TESLA regarding this. If you look at my signature, my vin is quite low as well and it has previously been confirmed that my car does have USS! The advisor did a quick check on the spec of my vehicle and it does come with RCCB cameras. He then did a check on a vehicle which does not have USS, and he confirmed that the cameras were the same. He mentioned that the helpdesk has been receiving lots of calls about the cameras, but they have not actually been informed that any new cameras have been installed yet or if they are going to be. His exact words were, your car is no different to a car without USS apart from the fact it has USS. The only software difference he mentioned was the fact that my car will use USS for park assist and newer cars will use TESLA vision when it finally comes.

He also said that they have had no word as to whether USS will be turned off in the future, but if it is, then the car will simply use TESLA vision instead of the USS sensors. Obviously this will only happen when TESLA vision is fully implemented.
May be I did not ask the right question.

I asked him if the car comes with latest Tesla Vision technology (I did not even mention USS) - He went on hold and returned a minute later to confirm that my car does not have the latest Tesla Camera, but confirmed on his own that it has parking sensor (which I assume is the USS).

Last edited:
May be I did not ask the right question.

I asked him if the car comes with latest Tesla Vision technology (I did not even mention USS) - He went on hold and returned a minute later to confirm that my car does not have the latest Tesla Camera, but confirmed on his own that it has parking sensor (which I assume is the USS).
It seems with Tesla that no matter the question, the answer will always be different. Alternatively, it could also mean that some early cars without USS also don’t have the latest cameras if they do exist. If I was one of these owners, I would literally go mental.

Only time will tell. Q4 pickups are due any day now!

Reactions: Millenium101
I messaged Tesla to see if I could be assigned an inventory car but this was not possible as I ordered with ALD but I was told I had been assigned a car and to wait for delivery details. As its a lease car I'm unable to get vin number so am I expecting a car that is en route? Estimated delivery date on ALD is 02 dec

Interesting. I’ll check on the website later tonight, thanks. Might just have to bite the bullet and go to the branch.
Quite often (with Barclays at least) they have two different digital daily transfer limits - Mobile app which is £10k and Website which is £50k (I think)
you were right. I was able to go into the website and could setup a Chaps payment. It’s currently on hold for security checks but should be good to go. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: daveface
Among all this speculation about USS, I'm also collecting a YLR (Trafford Centre on 1st December) but fairly relaxed either way....

My 2020 Model 3LR 'has' both radar and USS - Tesla disabled the former some time ago and no doubt the latter will be ‘gone’ in the near future.

On that basis I have to grudgingly accept that the Y may become more challenging to park in the dark, especially when wet.

This has been my experience with the Model 3:
  • The single reversing lamp is not ideal, little better than a candle & certainly weaker overall than any other car I’ve owned (I don’t know if the Y has two reversing lights or not and haven’t checked - pleasant surprise if it does).
  • The current rear camera is a lowish quality but frequently dirty, smudged & blurred if not cleaned after a few days of bad weather or a long journey - absolutely useless for precise reverse parking after a wet drive at night..Camera recordings render reds as orange and have an overall feeling of 1970s-80s poorly processed 35mm prints.
  • The rear window slit on the 3 gives no reference to anything low down & the Y is significantly higher off the ground than that. The camera does cover those lower areas but has a quite wide angle view. Current yellow-red USS indications on the centre screen have been useful although I must admit that unless parking is very tight I usually rely on side mirrors & the three reverse/rearward side camera views. Losing USS won't change that significantly for me (not so on the front of the car where they have been very helpful).
  • Constant yellow-red USS curves to the sides of the screen visualisation when driving have been annoying and I will happily lose those when USS is removed.
  • Model 3s & Ys are not easy to line up straight when parking until you get the knack of pushing the nose further to the left than the edges of the side windows would suggest.
All being said, I am of an age where I managed perfectly well without sensors for many years and the ability to set wing mirrors to automatically view the kerb when reverse is selected is useful (& will remain so until Tesla no doubt decide to remove the glass :rolleyes:)

It may be apparent that I’m going into Model Y ownership with a degree of cynicism based on my experience with the Model 3 - Tesla ownership sometimes makes you feel like you’re on the receiving end in an abusive relationship. Either live with it or walk away & find something else I'm afraid but in spite of that I do enjoy driving the cars a lot so I will persist for a few more years at least.

Last edited: