Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y unveiling event 2019-03-14 (official thread)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's play a little mental game. Let's say you have a road that has a speed limit of 60mph. So by your logic, driving 61mph on that road is dangerous, but driving 60mph is not. Now, let's say you change the speed limit to 50mph. Is driving 60mph on the exact same road now suddenly dangerous?

I don't see how 61 qualifies as excessive.

Lets play this game: What happens what that 'regulatory approval' puts limits on full self driving cars? Do you think they will allow a driverless car to race down the highway at 95mph?
You understand that such regulations are coming right? Or do you think NTSB, politicians, etc are going to say: Hey anything goes!!

Reactions: OPRCE
My thoughts exactly. And my wife said -- open the frunk to see if it holds a stroller because no room in the back with the seats. But I guess those pics will come out soon if people are taking a closer look right now.

The 2nd and 3rd row seats all fold down to create a very large cargo area. Or you can fold just the 3rd row down. Or just half of the 3rd row down. This can all be seen on the website. If you want to actually seat 7 people and put a stroller in the car, then you aren't looking at the right class of vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Still no word on the liftgate/hatch. Have to assume it's powered.

Power lift gate will only come on the Premium Package at first, but will be standard on the Performance Model. Otherwise, it’s manual lift

6 months after release though, they will make it standard across all the versions and piss off all the people that paid for premium pkg.... (and orphan the poor manual lift guys looking for diy retrofit).

also,

Don’t sleep on it guys, order now to be first in line. Otherwise: NO ALCANTARA FOR YOU!

Bigger questions tho:
Suntek or 3M?
BlackVue? Or built in cam?

Last edited:
My god, that's the ugliest "SUV" I've seen in my life.

And what kind of presentation was that? Didn't get to see the rear of Model Y, or anything of use for that matter.
That is standard for Tesla concept car reveals. The Model X production car was nothing like the Model X reveal. However, Tesla was pretty much straight shooters with their Model 3 all the way through, so I expect similar things with Model Y.

Last edited:
The USD$2,500 for reserving the Model Y is way more than the USD$1,000 to reserve the Model 3 in March of 2016.

They are combining reservation and configuration fees this time. When we reserved the 3 for $1000 another $1500 was due at configuration. I guess they can do that knowing exactly what the options are this time around building on the 3 platform. They also probably figure that most people looking at a car in this price range who can put down $1000 a couple years in advance wouldn't think twice about putting down $2500.

Ok granted, but he could at least rehearse the presentation a few times instead of seemingly winging the whole thing. It could have been more structured and they definitely should have spent more time talking about and showing the Y.

It is not like they showing an actual product in existence. This makes it more difficult to ‘show it’, without revealing this fact. I’m sure he would have done it otherwise.

yeah i tend to think they learned a thing or two this year about production.

i honestly don't think it would be as bad on the MY lines as it was with the M3, given they're 70%+ identical.

Yes, I'm pretty confident that Tesla won't make the same mistakes that they did with putting the Model 3 into production. And let's hope they won't come up with an entirely new set of mistakes. ;)

Seriously, I expect the ramp up in Model Y production to go much, much more smoothly. I was afraid Elon was showing another pipe dream when I saw claims that the Shanghai Gigafactory will be producing Model 3's by the end of the year. But then that was clarified to say that important sections of the line won't even be installed until March 2020, so clearly Tesla doesn't actually think they can get a full production line up and running by the end of this year. Any Model 3's made in Shanghai this year will use lots of parts and subassemblies shipped in from California and Nevada, and I would guess that any Model 3's made there this year will be partly or mostly hand-assembled.

Reactions: Olds442 and wipster
Watching some of the test rides... The glass is different than the Model 3. The entire top is a piece of a glass in the center. Instead of a huge windshield. It moves the pillar / crossbars (not sure of the correct term), so there is more head room for all.

At least, that's what I could see from about 2 seconds of ride video.

Thanks to all the live stream photographers. You gave us the event experience live while reading the forums. A nice way to enjoy the excitement and the fun. As my avatar shows, I have been fortunate to enjoy previous Tesla events and they provide great memories and quality discussions with many EV friends and owners.

Keep the excitement going. Meet up with your local Tesla Owners groups soon: TMC Community | Tesla Motors Club

Pretty sure Elon said fully functional FSD would be available by the end of the year.
Nope, CNBC said that. Elon said the FSD software would be 'feature complete by the end of the year'. That means they'll have an alpha version build by then. Then testing begins with the Beta, revisions, more tests, etc. Finally submit to Gov't for approval. Gonna be some years, and not totally under Tesla's control.
Cheers!