Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y wheel options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the main Model Y page on Tesla's website, they are now showing new wheels on the featured image of the vehicle (I don't recall this being the case?). These are not an option in the design studio, but we have seen them on the prototypes all over the country. I have a feeling these will be the standard Performance wheel:

View attachment 503953

We've also seen Model Y's in the wild with the 19" Gemini wheels. Perhaps this will be the optional "Sports" wheel, and the 18" Aero will remain the standard wheel?
My wife is finally on board, and she likes the 20” black wheels offered in the design studio. Not a fan of the stock wheel option.

I love the induction wheels in the matte black. Definitely getting those! Here is a quick photoshop of what the Model Y could look like with the base 19" Gemini hub caps removed. This of course assumes that they are the same design as the 3 underneath.
tesla-model-y-1.png

I love the induction wheels in the matte black. Definitely getting those! Here is a quick photoshop of what the Model Y could look like with the base 19" Gemini hub caps removed. This of course assumes that they are the same design as the 3 underneath.View attachment 510371

The 19” wheels under the Gemini caps look nothing like the Aeros.

Now that we know what the tire sizes are for the MYP+ [255/35R21 (89mm sidewall), 275/35R21 (96mm sidewall)], with the lowered suspension, do you think I could potentially replace those tires with a higher sidewall (e.g. 255/40 or 255/45)? I know that that might adversely impact range (not my concern at the moment) but I want to prevent pinch flats and/or give myself better protection from potholes while still being able to have the uberturbines.

Now that we know what the tire sizes are for the MYP+ [255/35R21 (89mm sidewall), 275/35R21 (96mm sidewall)], with the lowered suspension, do you think I could potentially replace those tires with a higher sidewall (e.g. 255/40 or 255/45)? I know that that might adversely impact range (not my concern at the moment) but I want to prevent pinch flats and/or give myself better protection from potholes while still being able to have the uberturbines.

If I were you, I would get the MYP+ and swap to the 20" black wheels. It's a win-win: you'll gain range and also improve pothole resilience.

Reactions: rylangreg
Yeah, those are my second-favorite option. I'm starting to see that I'm in the minority that I actually like the uberturbines over the induction wheels.

If it's in the budget for you and you live in a cold weather region, having the Uberturbine for warm and Induction for Oct-Mar may be the way to go. Best of both worlds. Assuming the Inductions fit over the Performance brakes, that's my plan.

If it's in the budget for you and you live in a cold weather region, having the Uberturbine for warm and Induction for Oct-Mar may be the way to go. Best of both worlds. Assuming the Inductions fit over the Performance brakes, that's my plan.

They will fit. There’s a couple pics floating around of a pre-production Model Y with performance brakes and induction wheels.

I live in San Francisco so I don't need cold-weather wheels/tires. But living in the city means that I do have to look out for potholes more than anything else.

If anything, I might just buy a separate set of Gemini wheels for the long roadtrips.

I live in San Francisco so I don't need cold-weather wheels/tires. But living in the city means that I do have to look out for potholes more than anything else.

If anything, I might just buy a separate set of Gemini wheels for the long roadtrips.

San Francisco and the surrounding area is the worst for potholes. I’ve had them destroy a tire twice on my BMW on the freeway (101 south of the city). Fortunately they are pzero run flats so I was not stranded and was able to drive home albeit slowly.