Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Year 2022 Refresh M3/MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So performance 5L and boosted LR have almost the same power but LR has also 50 extra km max range? Am I understanding this right ?
Yes and no. The M3P with 5L and boosted LR will have the same power when the battery cannot provide more than the 366kW that the boosted LR is capped at (when hot and <50% charge). The graph is power in kilowatts (kW) not range in kilometres.

Reactions: Lindenwood
Yes and no. The M3P with 5L and boosted LR will have the same power when the battery cannot provide more than the 366kW that the boosted LR is capped at (when hot and <50% charge). The graph is power in kilowatts (kW) not range in kilometres.
But since we dont charge more than 80%, this leaves M3P with only the range of 80%-50% battery which is 30%, so in other words M3P has more power for just 30% battery charge than LR? and then the LR matches the performance of M3P? if this is true, they should remove the Performance model completely or do an OTA update to fix this...its unacceptable...

Literally if this is true, you are paying more money for performance model and you are getting more performance for the 30% of the battery only, but you loose lots of km of range...big turn off, i dont understand how they approved this

Although I’m curious why the M3P line suddenly goes flat unlike the MYP line.
@eivissa said here that the Battery Management System (BMS) limits the max discharge power in the M3P to 425-430kW. The white/grey lines on the chart show where the BMS/software caps the power for different variants. Greater power levels have been measured in the MYP. However, 430kW is 585 metric horsepower, so don't feel short-changed.

Reactions: delta0
But since we dont charge more than 80%, this leaves M3P with only the range of 80%-50% battery which is 30%, so in other words M3P has more power for just 30% battery charge than LR?
You can charge to 90% for daily usage. It's really below about 30% state of charge that the output of the 3L falls below 366kW, so you have 60% (70% from 100% charge) of charge range where the M3P has more power than the boosted LR peak.
3L power curve 366kW.png

There's no getting around the physics of a <25% charged battery being unable to provide the same power levels as one with >75% charge.

From the 3L vs 5l graph the 5L needs 50-80% charge to make 366kW but the 3L can sustain this down to 32% (when hot). This really emphasises why the 3L is still being used in the M3P.

Last edited:
You can charge to 90% for daily usage. It's really below about 30% state of charge that the output of the 3L falls below 366kW, so you have 60% (70% from 100% charge) of charge range where the M3P has more power than the boosted LR peak.
View attachment 787795

There's no getting around the physics of a <25% charged battery being unable to provide the same power levels as one with >75% charge.

From the 3L vs 5l graph the 5L needs 50-80% charge to make 366kW but the 3L can sustain this down to 32% (when hot). This really emphasises why the 3L is still being used in the M3P.

Does the boosted LR have the same range with the non boosted LR? If so...then the boosted LR has 50 km range more than the performance right?

Reactions: Maric
Does the boosted LR have the same range with the non boosted LR? If so...then the boosted LR has 50 km range more than the performance right?
As with both cars if you are using that power then it’s going to impact the range. You’ll only be impacting the range on an LR to LR boost when using that extra power.

The boost is about 3.8 to 60 and the P is just sub 3.2 (3.18 seems to be the norm for non roll out 60). Around 16% more acceleration and giving up about 9% range.

• Informative
Reactions: Maric and Sheefo2k
Does the boosted LR have the same range with the non boosted LR?
Yes, because the WLTP range is based on vehicles Wh/km which doesn't change. The LR with 5L is rated 147Wh/km and the M3P with 3L 165Wh/km. The difference is mostly down to the 20" überturbine wheels on the M3P.

I was surprised to be able to achieve 155Wh/km in my M3P a couple of times now when taking it steady but not driving excessively slowly.

Yes, because the WLTP range is based on vehicles Wh/km which doesn't change. The LR with 5L is rated 147Wh/km and the M3P with 3L 165Wh/km. The difference is mostly down to the 20" überturbine wheels on the M3P.

I was surprised to be able to achieve 155Wh/km in my M3P a couple of times now when taking it steady but not driving excessively slowly.

So the difference between Wh/km is caused mostly on the 20" wheels? if you change to 19" wheels like the LR has (which is funny because the LR on tesla.com has the same WLTP range on 18" and on 19" config) both the LR and P will have roughly the same Wh/km?

As with both cars if you are using that power then it’s going to impact the range. You’ll only be impacting the range on an LR to LR boost when using that extra power.

The boost is about 3.8 to 60 and the P is just sub 3.2 (3.18 seems to be the norm for non roll out 60). Around 16% more acceleration and giving up about 9% range.
Yup whats what i mean...the boosted LR in order to be faster than the nonboosted should use more Wh/km...so less range..correct?
@milesr3 for this reason...since the boosted LR does 0-100 in 3.8 and the non boosted LR in 4.4 , it should consume more Wh/km..

Yup whats what i mean...the boosted LR in order to be faster than the nonboosted should use more Wh/km...so less range..correct?
@milesr3 for this reason...since the boosted LR does 0-100 in 3.8 and the non boosted LR in 4.4 , it should consume more Wh/km..
Only if you are using that extra boost as it’s giving more power from the battery. When driving normally there’s no difference.

Reactions: milesr3