Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Year 2022 Refresh M3/MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AIUI they have the hairpin motor (3D6) just not the cat. 3 variant.
Looking at these two very recent inventory Performances the '21 is listed with 3D1 and the '22 with 3D6. What difference it makes I don't know.
They're built a little over a month apart. No full VINs but I assume if your car's VIN has N rather than M you'll have the 3D6 variant.

Reactions: milesr3
Looking at these two very recent inventory Performances the '21 is listed with 3D1 and the '22 with 3D6. What difference it makes I don't know.
The 3D6 has hairpin windings and is new for’22 so this makes sense. There are two variants of the 3D6; cat.2 & cat.3.

[edited] so maybe the ‘22 spec (Ryzen etc but made in ‘21) with 3D1 is the ‘old variant’ that was referred to on the chat I had. 🤔

Last edited:
How can one tell what type of motor one has?
The most definitive way is from the eight character of the VIN and second character of the Version from the Certificate of Conformity (CoC), if you get one.

VIN character 8:
Screenshot 2022-02-25 at 08.02.18.png

CoC Version #G#### = cat.1, #Q#### = cat.2 or #Z#### = cat.3.

VIN says L for the hairpin windings motor (Variant 3DP) but how do I find out if it’s the more powerful motor?
I don't think you get a CoC so you can try to deduce it from battery type. With the M3P, if you don't have the LG 5L battery then you don't have the cat.3. If you do have the Panasonic 3L then you could have either of the three versions and would need to look for part numbers.

However just because the cat.3 is rated 16kW higher than the cat.2 it doesn't follow that one will be more powerful than another. It's a higher net power rating but it's controlled in software and ultimately limited by battery power. The 219kW net rating of the cat.1 & cat.2 motors is already exceeded with up to around 250kW measured (see Model Year 2022 Refresh M3/MY).

The cat.3 motor with the LG 5L has the potential to make more power in the M3P. It does make about 16kW more in the MYP. This is what I had expected (hoped) to see with my own 2022 M3P but at the moment no-one is getting the LG 5L battery in the M3P it seems. Also with the way Tesla assemble the M3P from three different rear motors and two different batteries the software will homogenise this, to achieve the rated performance.

Last edited:
However just because the cat.3 is rated 16kW higher than the cat.2 it doesn't follow that one will be more powerful than another. It's a higher net power rating but it's controlled in software and ultimately limited by battery power.

The cat.3 motor with the LG 5L has the potential to make more power in the M3P. It does make about 16kW more in the MYP. This is what I had expected (hoped) to see with my own 2022 M3P.

This is the important consideration. While the 3D6 hairpin wound rear motor should have the potential to make more power, it's ultimately software limited at the moment. The 3D1 & 3D6 rear motors in the MYP are both rated at 235kW. The CAT1 3D1 & CAT2 3D6 rear motors in the M3P are rated lower at 219kW (which can be seen in dyno comparisons that show the MYP producing ~20whp more than the M3P).

I'm bummed that my early '22 M3P still has the CAT1 3D1 motor and that they'll likely move to the CAT3 3D6 with the 16kW higher power rating later this year. Of course, then I'll just want the lighter, more powerful 4680 battery version in a couple years..

It'll be interesting to see if Tesla gives another OTA power bump to the older M3Ps. Tesla is clearly controlling the max power by software, but it'll ultimately be limited by the physical hardware (battery, DU, inverter, motor, etc.).

The most definitive way is from the eight character of the VIN and second character of the Version from the Certificate of Conformity (CoC), if you get one.

VIN character 8:
View attachment 773565

I don't think you get a CoC so you can try to deduce it from battery type. With the M3P, if you don't have the LG 5L battery then you don't have the cat.3. If you do have the Panasonic 3L then you could have either of the three versions and would need to look for part numbers.

However just because the cat.3 is rated 16kW higher than the cat.2 it doesn't follow that one will be more powerful than another. It's a higher net power rating but it's controlled in software and ultimately limited by battery power. The 219kW net rating of the cat.1 & cat.2 motors is already exceeded with up to around 250kW measured (see Model Year 2022 Refresh M3/MY).

The cat.3 motor with the LG 5L has the potential to make more power in the M3P. It does make about 16kW more in the MYP. This is what I had expected (hoped) to see with my own 2022 M3P but at the moment no-one is getting the LG 5L battery in the M3P it seems. Also with the way Tesla assemble the M3P from three different rear motors and two different batteries the software will homogenise this, to achieve the rated performance.
Where do I find the CoC? I have the VIN but can’t see a CoC?

Where do I find the CoC? I have the VIN but can’t see a CoC?
It's a European Union (EU) document which certifies that a vehicle confirms to the type (spec) described and can legally be registered. It is provided if the Customer has to register their own vehicle. I guess you will have something similar but not necessarily with the Variant and Version info used for the EU Type Approval process.

It's a European Union (EU) document which certifies that a vehicle confirms to the type (spec) described and can legally be registered. It is provided if the Customer has to register their own vehicle. I guess you will have something similar but not necessarily with the Variant and Version info used for the EU Type Approval process.
Bummer, it seems there is no way I have of getting those crucial details. It’s almost impossible getting any technical info from Tesla!

Reactions: tm1v2

VIN character 8:
View attachment 773565

Thanks for this useful info!

Yes we don’t have the CoC in Australia which makes it difficult. How do I know if I have the Panasonic or the LG battery? I guess I assume I just have the Panasonic as that’s what is being shipped? It would be nice to know for sure.