Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Modern Spare DOES fit in frunk area, with liners removed!!!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tangible1 - Did you not view the video I linked at all? It clearly shows two castings bolted together. In a Model Y.
you've misconstrued Munro's description.
you need to review pictures / diagrams of the rear casting.
In those, you will find that for the rear casting, there's a large 'bow' of empty space, which is filled by the large underbody chassis piece Munro describes as a 2nd casting.
Yes, it's a 2nd casting piece. It is common to all MY's,
But that piece covers the rear electric motor area and half-shafts. There is NO room underneath or in that area for a spare tire.
On top of that chassis piece rides the rear seating; it can be one row or two rows of rear seats.

No one refers to that overall assembly as a single piece casting.
The rear megacast is one piece. To that casting, the electric motor cover / floorboard is bolted, and also the rear crumple-zone bolsters (horns, braces, lots of terms for them).

You mixed your wishes with terminology caged from a video, out of context.

There's no room whatsoever for a spare tire in that area. Unless you wish to have no rear motor, or no rear trunk (and compromise crashworthiness).

I never said there was room for a spare tire.
What it that thing in the video that joins the left and right sides together with bolts?

Attachments

• One Piece and Two Piece.jpg
    One Piece and Two Piece.jpg
    472.5 KB · Views: 110
Can we please now get back to the OP good intention and discuss how best to mount a spare in the frunk ? Im an engineer and work with a CNC machine shop building aircraft parts for giant companies like Delta all day long, we could EASILY design a bolt in bracket to the front trunk structure to support safely mounting a spare tire. Id like to work with someone who is interested in this concept. I can manufacture prototypes free for someone to try out, email me directly - [email protected]

Reactions: Watts_Up
Can we please now get back to the OP good intention and discuss how best to mount a spare in the frunk ? Im an engineer and work with a CNC machine shop building aircraft parts for giant companies like Delta all day long, we could EASILY design a bolt in bracket to the front trunk structure to support safely mounting a spare tire. Id like to work with someone who is interested in this concept. I can manufacture prototypes free for someone to try out, email me directly - [email protected]
I'm the OP, and I think we all benefitted from the discussion in this thread.

I agree with the folk that contend that a spare tire installed in the frunk, even if securely mounted, has too much potential risk in the event of a frontal collision: critical (and expensive) Tesla componentry, as well as compromising the designed-in crumple zones,

Reactions: JonB65
>> in the event of a frontal collision: critical (and expensive) Tesla componentry, as well as compromising the designed-in crumple zones,

I agree that Tesla components (mostly HVAC) could be damaged, but if so, in the occurrence of such event, the car could had certainly been totaled.
In fact a major criteria often used to total a car is based on having the air bags been deployed, even if the front end doesn't seem completely destroyed.

About the crumple zone, the spare would certainly be installed slanted up and parallel to the shape of the frunk cover.
So in case of a crash, the spare tire would move up and I doubt that the tire will be compressed in a way
that it would alleviate the purpose of the crush zones.

However, I noticed in this video (Lucid Air Cannonball Run Behind The Scenes) that a spare tire was installed flat inside the frunk of a Lucid Air.
I believe that the team was in touch with Lucid Support but I don't know if installing the spare tire in the frunk had been evaluated.
Anyway, a spare tire is like a donut wheel and might not be as strong as a full tire size wheel.

Spare Tire in Frunk - Lucid Air .jpg

Last edited:
>> in the event of a frontal collision: critical (and expensive) Tesla componentry, as well as compromising the designed-in crumple zones,

I agree that Tesla components (mostly HVAC) could be damaged, but if so, in the occurrence of such event, the car could had certainly been totaled.
In fact a major criteria often used to total a car is based on having the air bags been deployed, even if the front end doesn't seem completely destroyed.

About the crumple zone, the spare would certainly be installed slanted up and parallel to the shape of the frunk cover.
So in case of a crash, the spare tire would move up and I doubt that the tire will be compressed in a way
that it would alleviate the purpose of the crush zones.

However, I noticed in this video (Lucid Air Cannonball Run Behind The Scenes) that a spare tire was installed flat inside the frunk of a Lucid Air.
I believe that the team was in touch with Lucid Support but I don't know if installing the spare tire in the frunk had been evaluated.
Anyway, a spare tire is like a donut wheel and might not be as strong as a full tire size wheel.

View attachment 939857
NO
crumple zones rely on the structural geometry and materials utilized, and are designed to collapse on impact in a defined way.
the addition of a tire with a steel wheel changes this operation substantially
that's regardless of it's being 'angled' or 'flat' or whatever you imagine.
your opinion here is an entirely uninformed

NO
crumple zones rely on the structural geometry and materials utilized, and are designed to collapse on impact in a defined way.
the addition of a tire with a steel wheel changes this operation substantially
that's regardless of it's being 'angled' or 'flat' or whatever you imagine.
your opinion here is an entirely uninformed
Why would the wheel need to be steel? For an emergency spare couldn't it be made of a lightweight plastic composite material of some sort? (I know nothing, I'm just asking) What would stop you from crash testing a car with the spare in place to see what happens? It would seem that data would be preferable to endless speculation, informed or not. Tesla, so far, is pretty much all about doing what the informed experts repeatedly assured us was impossible a decade ago.

Why would the wheel need to be steel? For an emergency spare couldn't it be made of a lightweight plastic composite material of some sort? (I know nothing, I'm just asking) What would stop you from crash testing a car with the spare in place to see what happens? It would seem that data would be preferable to endless speculation, informed or not. Tesla, so far, is pretty much all about doing what the informed experts repeatedly assured us was impossible a decade ago.
Good questions, but IMHO, Tesla (and other manufacturers) don't want to spend the $$$ on further R&D for spare tires. They're only concerned with eliminating excess weight, and the need for a spare, for MOST people in urban areas, just isn't a priority. For over a decade, the provided air pump with sealant is sufficient. (I drive a lot in rural TX/NM/CO, so the need for a spare is obvious.)

...and to answer your question about lightweight plastic: any wheel sufficiently strong to support a 4500lb+ vehicle would NOT deform in an accident, so the effect on crumple zones is unknown...

Reactions: JonB65 and DanDi58
I've been driving without a spare for the first time for the last six months, and I have to say it makes me nervous. In nearly 60 years of driving (I started early!) and dozens of flat tires I have to say I've had exactly one that resulted from the kind of puncture where an air pump and sealant would have helped. So that's not much comfort.

Reactions: Pianewman