Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Modern Spare for Model 3 on Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model 3 and the Modern Spare for it. The rolling diameter is 26.5. The lug pattern for the Model Y MS is identical, but the rolling diameter is 27.7". So the wheel will fit but the overall diameter is 1.2" less for the Model 3 version that the Model Y. That means the difference in radius, or height difference of the car due to the slightly smaller spare is only 0.6". Modern Spare responded to this question saying the size difference was too great and I needed the Model Y spare. However, I'm interested in hearing from mechanics with experience whether 0.6" radius difference is really a problem. Given so many cars that carry spares this days carry the reduces diameter ones, I can't see that 0.6" is critical at all since the tire is used only temporarily.

I have a Model 3 and the Modern Spare for it. The rolling diameter is 26.5. The lug pattern for the Model Y MS is identical, but the rolling diameter is 27.7". So the wheel will fit but the overall diameter is 1.2" less for the Model 3 version that the Model Y. That means the difference in radius, or height difference of the car due to the slightly smaller spare is only 0.6". Modern Spare responded to this question saying the size difference was too great and I needed the Model Y spare. However, I'm interested in hearing from mechanics with experience whether 0.6" radius difference is really a problem. Given so many cars that carry spares this days carry the reduces diameter ones, I can't see that 0.6" is critical at all since the tire is used only temporarily.
For the purpose of getting you to a tire shop, it's fine. For any other purpose, not so much. You'll be subjected to some drift in the car's tracking, and the motor gearing won't like it.

Reactions: Jones1
You may want to check out this video from EV Dave. On a road trip from Wyoming to NC, he had a flat on his Model Y Performance and used the modern spare. It caused his brakes to lock up and he had to get a tow. I never really understood the reason from the video, but I suspect he was using the wrong spare.

You may want to check out this video from EV Dave. On a road trip from Wyoming to NC, he had a flat on his Model Y Performance and used the modern spare. It caused his brakes to lock up and he had to get a tow. I never really understood the reason from the video, but I suspect he was using the wrong spare.
Interesting flat tire event video. I noticed the following:

- 9:18 The screen display was showing the front right tire been flat but in fact the rear right tire was flat (9:42).

Is it because of a previous tire rotation that the tire location was wrong?​
Is there a way to verify the correct location or to reset it?​
Note: One way to force reboot the Tesla Display after a new software update is to use the Wheel Size selection submenu.​
I assume this would do the trick also to reset the tire display location after doing a rotation.​
- 10:52 The tire with the piece of metal inserted in the middle of the rolling area.

I wonder if any tire shop could had put a plug to patch the tire hole instead to get a new tire at the Tesla Service Center?​
In fact in a previous video "Can You Fix a Tesla Tire by Plugging the hole?", in fact explained how to put a plug.​

- 11:07 The difference of tire size is clearly noticeable.

Since the rear motor is doing most of the traction, and the front motor is only activated when needed,​
I think I would had moved the good front tire to the back and put the donut spare to the front.​

- 12:30 The Modern Spare nuts are not compatible with the socket (?) so Dave had to go (I guess with a flat tire still on ?) to a shop to get the correct socket.

This is certainly something that would have been better to test.​
Dave shown (4:20) the 21 and 22 mm sockets from Modern Spare, but it was using a Model 3 with different wheels than the Tesla original wheels.​
Honestly I would be intersted to get additional information as I am a little puzzle about this issue.​
My assumption is that the Modern Spare provided wrench cannot be use for removing the nuts?​
Dave seem to be working on the wheels at home (1:14) and had the correct tools?​
Note: I have a BimmerZone Spare tire and I can use the original Tesla.​
Also the spare came with a Hub Centering Ring.​

- 12:55 Dave mentioned that the rear right brake was "dragging".

How does Dave figured it out? Is it because of a brake noise or the car pulling on one side?​
I cannot find any message on the screen related to the brake issue.​
I was wondering if disabling the traction control would had prevented this issue?​

Reactions: sewing1
Same question - anyone know if a spare tire made for Model 3 fits on Model Y?

I recently sold my Model 3 and have the spare tire still - looking for a spare tire option for the Model Y.

Looking at the Modern Spare website, the Model 3 and the Model Y have both a 18" wheel but they use a different size tire,

Model 3: Continental T135/80/R18 Radial Tire DOT Rated 104M Featuring A 26.5” Rolling Diameter.​
Model Y: Continental T145/85R18 Radial Tire DOT Rated 103M Featuring A 27.7” Rolling Diameter.​

If you look at the video from the above #3 thread, if you don't have wheels with a same diameter on a given axaial,
the stability control will try to slow down the smaller wheel using the brake on that wheel.

I assume that the Model 3 and the Model Y use the same wheel and that you could just change the spare tire,
but you should check with Modern Spare. They might be willing to sale you a new tire or you can order one from tirerack.com

tirerack.com Continental SContact Temporary Compact Spare​

Looking at the Modern Spare website, the Model 3 and the Model Y have both a 18" wheel but they use a different size tire,

Model 3: Continental T135/80/R18 Radial Tire DOT Rated 104M Featuring A 26.5” Rolling Diameter.​
Model Y: Continental T145/85R18 Radial Tire DOT Rated 103M Featuring A 27.7” Rolling Diameter.​

If you look at the video from the above #3 thread, if you don't have wheels with a same diameter on a given axaial,
the stability control will try to slow down the smaller wheel using the brake on that wheel.

I assume that the Model 3 and the Model Y use the same wheel and that you could just change the spare tire,
but you should check with Modern Spare. They might be willing to sale you a new tire or you can order one from tirerack.com

tirerack.com Continental SContact Temporary Compact Spare​
That’s what I did. Just bought the MY tire and had it mounted on the original M3 Modern spare wheel.