Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More Superchargers - Charging is our Priority

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New In a pessimistically disappointing move, they removed the "2017" selector on the Supercharger | Tesla Canada page. It only has a tab for "Today" unlike in the past where you could toggle between "Today" and "2017".
You are missing an important new feature of the map at Supercharger | Tesla

The grey icons are "Coming in 2017 or later" Supercharger sites.

Now tap on the map. You will be taken to this page Find Us | Tesla

On that map you can zoom in and out. Tapping on any gray icon shows you if Tesla plans to construct it this year or later. The red icons are of course existing locations.

So in fact with this recent change Tesla is providing more information, not less. If for one do not consider that a bad thing.

I wonder. If Tesla puts on the big push this year to get these Superchargers installed, is this basically a one-off or will the momentum continue and we can expect even more in 2018 and onwards?

Past 2018, I think will be completely dependent on demand. By then, most of the cars out there will be the pay-to-supercharge type, and so the superchargers should be self-supporting or close. I'm going to even go so far as to say that I think that Tesla will sell or spin-off the network at some point.

[QUOTE="sandpiper, post: 2074598, member: 28699"I'm going to even go so far as to say that I think that Tesla will sell or spin-off the network at some point.[/QUOTE]With most companies I would agree but I don't think that is Elon's style. And if they thought that was a possibility then they should be working on a standardized charge plug so that all EVs could charge. And you would be thinking about putting in kiosks so that you could sell other stuff - I used to work at IMO and they make more selling chocolate bars and pop than gas as the profit margin on gasoline isn't great.

If you live in Canada's fourth largest city (Ottawa), you have to drive 4 hours round trip to reach the closest service center. This is my one major complaint about Tesla. It's ridiculous.

The slow Supercharger rollout is annoying but it's not affecting me anywhere near as much. Right now I can drive where I need to go, albeit with some inconvenience at times.

Reactions: Falkirk
Yes, Tesla certainly needs more service centers in Canada. Right now there is no Service Center in London, ON, where my spouse is from. Her sister-in-law would like to buy a Tesla but I advised against it for now since she would need to take it to Mississauga for service. That's too far. About a million people live in London and the surrounding towns. London has become a haven for well off retirees. Surely that is a viable market for Tesla?

I think 1M people in London is somewhat high - the metropolitan census area is listed as having 495k and it has lost its spot as the 10th largest metropolitan area to Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge. My wife is from London and I went to University there - I return there a few times per year. The city has suffered economically in recent years as historically two of the largest employers were Canada Trust and London Life. They have both been acquired and a lot of high paying executive jobs, who would have been ideal purchasers of the Model S/X, have left the city. You can see this as the downtown has gone downhill a fair bit over the last 25 years. The city also lacks EV chargers - there are none at the University and the last time I was there I had to use an L2 in a downtown parking lot by the arena.

All that being said, they should put a Tesla Service Centre there but they should probably also put them in Hamilton and K-W as well when you are looking at Southern Ontario.

I doubt that the guys working at Lawrence have any insight - I am guessing that they said city hall because that is where the pin is when you zoom in on the SC website. But, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, it appears that every SC on the map is smack-dab in the centre of where the city name shows up on the map - which often turns out to be the city hall - that is also the case with Markham and Mississauga, for example. And I am guessing that it is extremely unlikely that this is where they will end up putting all of these SuperChargers.

• Helpful